British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-01-15, 11:33 PM

Got your balaclava and a lockpick, and what time am I picking you up?
Old 05-01-15, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Sixpack, is there any sign of the "25" having been cut out of your badge, seeing as it seems identical to mine in every other respect?
None David, Shes clean as a whistle. Side note: What i find interesting with the similarity of both mine and your badge is the finish. Every badge that I had seen previously didn't have the that wash/patina finish to it. I bought mine thinking it was a bit dirty. I gave it a quick gentle cleaning and it appears to be finish and intentional. All previous versions I had seen ( albeit only a handful) were plain brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post

I don't have Brooker's books: does the badges he shows include both a 1/25 and a 25-only type M114?
Only shows the type 1 "1/25" that Bill and Chilliwack show. The description states rumours of 25 badges made. The description continues with "The Numeral....." and ends prematurely and does not finish the sentence on the next page.

Just a thought, what would the chances of a "25" only badge being tailor made? Perhaps an officer feeling left out that all other 1/25 stock being out and handful of jeweler altered versions made? Any sign of that on your badge David? Would that be too far fetched?

Last edited by sixxpackjack; 05-01-15 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Beer fingers
Old 05-01-15, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Ok, I see that the error is an omission. There appears to be a third pattern Cochester & Hants Regt. that is not recorded in Mazeas. There is at least 2 of the 1/25 badges. Brooker shows the 1/25 pattern. (Perhaps it should be called the Ugly Unicorn variety... or the Unicorn on steroids pattern.)
Here is the image of the badge submitted for approval to NDHQ. It is in the file for the Nova Scotia Highlanders. It appears to be an officer's pattern badge.

It was my understanding that this badge was unofficial and the officer version was a Type 2 in brown. But like Brooker , my sources are anecdotal. Ive also never actually seen the brown version in person or photo. Before the Brooker books I never knew the brown existed.
Old 05-01-15, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Todd, A couple of observations.
I have never seen a CHR badge in osd finish. Does anyone have any CHR badge or collar in osd?
In reference to the number of 1/25 badges that may have been produced, I am beginning to think that they were officers' badges only. That would mean that they were purchased by the officers probably through a jewelry or badge concern. As such, these would have been somewhat outside of the control of NDHQ.
Old 05-01-15, 03:01 PM

Im thinking that the Type 1 (1/25) badge was for obtained for the original officers of 1st batt. The Type 2 with "25" later promotions.

Im also thinking that the osd badge may have been the officers for 2nd batt given that 2nd batt perpetuates the 106th CEF. Given that it was a small regt, there may be less osd badges than the 1st batt officers...if the badge truly exists. It may simply be similar to that dark collar that I posted a few weeks ago.
Old 05-01-15, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxpackjack View Post
Side note: What i find interesting with the similarity of both mine and your badge is the finish. Every badge that I had seen previously didn't have the that wash/patina finish to it. I bought mine thinking it was a bit dirty. I gave it a quick gentle cleaning and it appears to be finish and intentional. All previous versions I had seen ( albeit only a handful) were plain brass.
Definitely has that blackened reverse (back) finish common to British badges and seems to me like a very hard, deep coloured brass. Footed lugs.
Old 06-01-15, 10:56 PM

There is a silver plated variation in my album.

Last edited by evan 71; 06-01-15 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Evan, nice badge. Do you have any provenance on the silver plated badge? Was it an officer's?
Old 07-01-15, 12:39 AM

No Bill no provenance but definitely jeweller made .there is three silver loops on the back which are stamped .925 as well the badge is marked .925 but is plated.the numerals were hand cut and added later but fine work.maybe officers or I thought to denote service overseas as a veteran with the 25th
Old 07-01-15, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting. The silver plating would certainly fit with it being worn by an officer.
Old 07-01-15, 03:37 PM

Beautiful badges Evan. I love that Annapolis Regt cap.
Old 08-01-15, 05:17 AM

Default Colchester and Hants......

All:
For what it is worth, my example of the 1/25 C&H badge displays a one piece striking- the 25 and 1 are integral to the badge- the number 25 is not an add on. The badge appears to my eye to be brass with no wear to the finish, it is not bright/shiny, as per Sixpackjacks` pic. The rear of my badge has original east/west lugs which appear to me to have similarities to some CEF badges, and is hallmarked HEMSLEY/MONTREAL. I believe that this is an OR`s badge, possibly issued before the non numbered C&H badge came out, but I am prepared to be proven wrong, if there is documentation that shows differing evidence.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 08-01-15, 03:05 PM

Hi John. Which version is your badge? Type 1 ( Fat Unicorn) or Type 2 (skinny unicorn), If a Type 2 than it make this even more interesting.
Old 08-01-15, 06:24 PM

Default Colchester & Hants Regt....

Sixpackjack:
If you mean is the unicorn on my badge thin, as per the badge shown by David S, no, it is approx the same size/shape as per your 1/25 badge, though on close comparison, there seems to be some very subtle differences between your badge and mine, which I tend to chalk up to minor variences in how the badges (yours and mine), were stamped then cut out of the original sheet brass blank.
Hope this clarifies somewhat.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 08-01-15, 08:21 PM

I'll toss my badge into the mix.... to add more info this one is maker marked Hemsley.... Montreal....