British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-14, 07:59 PM

Default Pinched Lugs

Does anyone have any experience in "un-pinching" lugs on a CEF cap badge. I am trying to decide if it is worth a try or not....
Thanks
Don
Old 30-11-14, 08:03 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Don,

If the loops are really strong and solid, you can sometimes open them up using a tapered scriber, I have done it on numerous occasions but my heart is always in my mouth whilst I am doing it !

I often advise that they be left alone particularly if the badges are to be mounted ?? I hope this helps ?

Dave.
Old 30-11-14, 09:52 PM

Default Heart in the Mouth

Dave:
I really get the "heart in the mouth" comment. It is unfortunate that so much of this was done back in the day. I understand it was done to facilitate mounting the badges on plywood back when. My thoughts were to grip the lug between the badge and the damaged part with very fine pliers and then try to open the lug up with similar needle nose pliers to what an optometrist uses on glasses and see how it goes from there. I don't have the pliers yet....or maybe the nerve. Thanks for the thought.
Don
Old 30-11-14, 10:17 PM

Hi
I have tried un pinching lugs often they have split. So ended up with split lugs not pinched! No improvement.
All the best dan
Old 30-11-14, 10:23 PM

Dan:
Thanks
Don
Old 30-11-14, 10:24 PM

It requires a pair of long nosed pliers, a round pointed nail a light hammer and a second pair of hands.
The second person holds the lug with the long nosed pliers and the badge with their other hand. Position the 'closed lug' on top a block of soft wood, place the nail over where the opening was in the lug and tap it gently with the hammer. As you tap it rotate the nail slightly. Hopefully this would open the lug to somewhere near it's former shape. Repeat the process on the other lug and you should finish up with a functional badge.
This operation can be carried out with complete confidence as you know you always have Davec2 to replace the lugs if it doesn't work out.
Eddie
Old 30-11-14, 10:43 PM

Cool Pinched loops

I have experienced all previously mentioned emotions when opening pinched loops, I always work alone so if anything goes wrong as it often does I take the blame, ebro's way is very similar to mine except I sometimes use a sharp, thick pointed knife to start things.

The problem I find with copper loops is that they fracture the moment you try to open them up unless you are ultra careful, sometimes they are fractured when pinched and nothing you can do to prevent breaking them.

I'm sure Dave will agree with my two bob's worth.

Rob
Old 30-11-14, 11:45 PM

Default Thanks

Great thoughts fellows and thank you for taking the time to share this experience. I hadn't thought of the nail idea, or maybe a center punch with a long taper on it. All really good gen in any event. If I get a fine pair of pliers and the nerve, I may give it a try.
Thanks guys
Don
Old 01-12-14, 12:11 AM

Don,
I still think a second pair of hands is essential as to hold a nail and hammer takes up one pair. It does not leave you any to hold the lug in the pliers and steady the badge itself.
Eddie
Old 01-12-14, 03:57 PM

Helps to have a pair of step-ring or looping pliers (also called wire wrap pliers). I use these for reshaping lugs. Check out a local jeweler supply place or craft store like Michael's. The ones pictured are pretty heavy steps, but you can find finer ones.
Old 01-12-14, 08:56 PM

David and all:
I have a couple of pairs of fine pliers on order, and have seen the step ring ones. I think that perhaps I need a pair of those as well. I really appreciate all who have taken the time to shed some light on this "black art". I was also wondering about a little heating of the lug before the process to put a little more flex in the almost 100 year old lugs. Appreciate all of the great ideas.
Don
Old 01-12-14, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefguy View Post
David and all:
I have a couple of pairs of fine pliers on order, and have seen the step ring ones. I think that perhaps I need a pair of those as well. I really appreciate all who have taken the time to shed some light on this "black art". I was also wondering about a little heating of the lug before the process to put a little more flex in the almost 100 year old lugs. Appreciate all of the great ideas.
Don
Gewwwwww... I wouldn't want to risk it. Too much opportunity to screw up something else, like a badge finish, solder, etc. I'd also suggest you check the lugs pretty carefully before trying to re-round them. Most CEF badges will have copper lugs, and copper gets brittle. If there is any sign of that bright brick red colour on the lugs, don't even try reshaping them. Same goes for the braze and feet of the lugs, if anything looks even slightly suspicious down there, chances are good you'll just snap off the lug in the attempt.

Get a trash badge or two, pinch the lugs, then practice. My method is to tease a finishing nail or fine punch into the lug to start separating it, then slowly work at it while firmly holding the shaft of the lug (not the badge) with jeweler's pliers. Once the lug has been opened enough to get the step pliers in, you can gently reshape and re-rounding the lug, but you will still need to keep a firm grip on the shaft.

You'll probably end up with the shaft of the lug below the loop separated, so you'll need to close that up with your jeweler pliers while you still have your step pliers/nail/punch in place.

Or you could just leave the thing alone
Old 01-12-14, 10:21 PM

Dave:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience in this task.
Don