British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-12, 02:17 PM

Default Help to ID RN/RM Signallers Badges please!

Gents,

Three cloth badges have come into my possession, I can't post pictures of them at present so will try and describe them as best I can:

All three have crossed signals flags- Blue on Left, White with Blue stripe on Right.

First one has a single pip/star above the crossed flags, second has two pips- one above, one below the crossed flag. The third has a Queens Crown above the crossed flags.

All are embroidered with gold wire, so I assume they are for Mess Dress or simillar, and are on dark green cloth patches so I guess they could be RM?

I've tried asking the Royal Sigs guys on arrse but drew a blank, so I'm fairly certain they're not either Army or relatively current.

Anyone any idea what they are, how old (obviously post 1952) and if they're worth anything?

Many thanks...
Old 09-04-12, 03:01 PM

sooms, sounds like the RM Signals Branch for wear on the Lovat Green uniform, from the top, flags crossed with crown above S1 (Signaller 1st Class) usually SNCO's.
Crossed flags with stars, one above one below S2 (Signaller 2nd class) JNCO's, flags with one star above S3 (Signaller 3rd. class) Marine.

If memory serves, RM Yeoman of Signals, crossed flags with crown above and two stars below, not too many of those about.

Ritchie.
Old 09-04-12, 05:22 PM

SOOMS

Agree with Ritchie, I have attached a pic of a Royal Marines 3rd Class Signaller ondark background for the blues uniform. I would imagine yours is a similar design but obviously on a green background. If the badges are new/unused you are only looking at about £4 or £5 for the 3rd & 2nd class badges, the 1st class would only beabout £1 or £2 more. If they are used then knock a few ££ off each.

Paddy
Old 10-04-12, 06:56 AM

Paddy,

Many thanks, they are exactly that.

At least I know now!

Regards..