British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-19, 08:02 PM

In C Company which I am part of we have Trowbridge, Melksham, Westbury, Warminster, Tisbury and Lavington. As I think you have already identified all are badged to the Rifles apart from Westbury (RTR) and Lavington RA. Quite how Westbury got permission to rebadge to RTR remains a bit of a mystery but thats another question again. We are always told that for a Detachmement to rebadge permission is required from the existing badge holder (Corps/Regiment). Hence in Wiltshire it very rarely happens and I can only think of Westbury in my 10 years as an example.

Our RWY badged Units who I believe all now have the new badge were new detachments hence permission was not required.

Our current Commandant who is leaving in a few weeks time after about 8 years insists on only reguation rank slides etc being worn. Our old Rifle Green backed Wiltshire Rank Slides were binned soon after he arrived as were the back badges which some adults were still wearing. They burnt two bins liners full of old rank slides recently before I had the oportunity to save any. A lot of other stuff was burnt / binned recently including war-time kit. It could have been sold to raise money for the County but the staff don't know the value oif the items.

I am still looking for any pictures of Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry badged Cadet Detachments. Trowbridge was badge to RWY for about 10 years and I assume the cadets wore Red on Yellow ACF cloth titles and metal RWY Titles but I have no evidence.
Old 06-08-19, 08:09 PM

Re the burning of the old rank slides I was told of this by a fellow collector The single rank Wiltshire A C F on my board is the only one that have seen for sale
Many thanks for your reply and information
David
Old 06-08-19, 09:20 PM

I would have loved a complete set of the old Rifle Green ones but no common sense. I just have the one issued to me.

Our current Commandant would accept the ACF Cap Badge Regioinal Command want us all to wear but hopefully not in my time.
Old 06-08-19, 09:38 PM

The issued pattern whenI first joined.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190806_223026.jpg (32.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-08-19, 09:45 PM

Many thanks for showing it
David
Old 07-08-19, 06:03 PM

I've seen another slide without the bugle,just Wiltshire ACF at the bottom and the stripes ala RGJ/The Rifles. Is this the current issue ?
Old 07-08-19, 08:44 PM

Anything other than the standard MTP Rank Slide which is provided free through the system costs Counties money which could be spent on cadets. Hence our Commandant will only allow the regulation pattern to be worn.

I would be interested in seeing a picture but I don't recall them being worn in my time so probably earlier.
Old 07-08-19, 08:58 PM

Just remembered that I have this one which I found at our Training Centre some time ago. Presumably for a cadet as no rank but when worn I do not know. Is this similar to yours without stripes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00308.JPG (58.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-08-19, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REME 245 View Post
Just remembered that I have this one which I found at our Training Centre some time ago. Presumably for a cadet as no rank but when worn I do not know. Is this similar to yours without stripes?
Yes . The stripes are as those on the one shown earlier in the thread.
Old 07-08-19, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REME 245 View Post
In the days before C95 and MTP there were no position on the front of the shirt or jacket for a rank slide. Most adults at the time wore a brazzard with rank badge and blank ACF sliders on the shoulders

Ian
Old 08-08-19, 01:33 PM

I can only suggest a pattern worn on C95 before the type I was issued 10 years ago and also worn by Cadets judging by the lack of a rank.

Just a pitty they burnt everything as very little got chucked out previous to this.
Old 09-08-19, 09:06 AM

I suspect that it is an adult rank slide for adult volunteers with the ranks of SI, SSI and SMI and was worn on the epaulettes of olive green GS shirts when in shirt sleeve order with the rank sewn onto the sleeve, alternatively it could have been worn on the epaulettes of the Jersey Heavy Wool , again with rank stitched onto the sleeve or even on the epaulettes of DPM Combat jackets with rank sewn onto the sleeve.

Prior to the introduction of CS95 uniform I NEVER saw a Cadet Force Adult Volunteer (CFAV) wearing a brassard - these in my experience were only ever worn by cadets.

PL
Old 09-08-19, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
I suspect that it is an adult rank slide for adult volunteers with the ranks of SI, SSI and SMI and was worn on the epaulettes of olive green GS shirts when in shirt sleeve order with the rank sewn onto the sleeve, alternatively it could have been worn on the epaulettes of the Jersey Heavy Wool , again with rank stitched onto the sleeve or even on the epaulettes of DPM Combat jackets with rank sewn onto the sleeve.

Prior to the introduction of CS95 uniform I NEVER saw a Cadet Force Adult Volunteer (CFAV) wearing a brassard - these in my experience were only ever worn by cadets.

PL
As a (CFAV) badged RGJ in Hampshire & Isle of Wight ACF, in the 80/90s we always wore a brazzard with rank and blank green ACF sliders on the epaulettes of green shirts and jersey with DPM brazzard and sliders on the combat jackets.

Ian
Old 09-08-19, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Dummer View Post
As a (CFAV) badged RGJ in Hampshire & Isle of Wight ACF, in the 80/90s we always wore a brazzard with rank and blank green ACF sliders on the epaulettes of green shirts and jersey with DPM brazzard and sliders on the combat jackets.

Ian

Ian

I guess that was a county thing then - never saw that in the Midlands or North though - as they say every day is a school day !

PL
Old 09-08-19, 01:54 PM

Just having a look through my ACF collection and found this - didn't even know I had it ! I think it strengthens my view on what the black on green rank slide was, I guess that this was the version worn on number 2 dress shirts in shirt sleeve order !

PL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2486.jpg (100.1 KB, 10 views)