British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-15, 01:59 AM

Thanks Roy, getting late in the east so im off to bed, will try and sort out how to add images to posts anther day. Les
Old 14-08-15, 03:15 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les 546 View Post
Thanks Roy, getting late in the east so im off to bed, will try and sort out how to add images to posts anther day. Les
Les,
As Roy says the QVC BW looks nice and getting the lugs replaced shouldn't be too difficult! The Shropshire Yeo however is a dud, the crown shape is not right, it's missing a shield upon which the Loggerheads are mounted and it has the dreaded fakers mark on the slider, see the Makers Mark section Top Right of the page! There are good unvoided examples and they are an earlier pattern, the voided ones being much later. See below for a couple of examples.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/2747andy?_d...shire+yeomanry

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 14-08-15 at 03:42 AM.
Old 14-08-15, 03:33 AM

Thanks Andy, all very obvious when you point out the issues, I never gave it much chance and in truth had never researched it or would have noticed the shield missing It is only my first day on the site and am so impressed with the information available. Cant say I am looking forward to sorting out the wheat from the chaff in my collection. Again many thanks. Les
Old 14-08-15, 12:11 PM

As a newbie I totally agree with everything Colin has said, at the moment it's hardly worth me attempting to buy anything without help, it's more worthwhile just reading loads on here, asking questions and investing money in buying decent books and studying, hopefully that will help me gain in the long run.

Les your lucky you don't have these problem's in starting from scratch!

Allison
Old 14-08-15, 12:34 PM
Former Member

Don't forget Sell My Militaria, ALL the British cap badges are vetted upon listing, so you are highly unlikely to unknowingly buy a fake, copy or reproduction!

Apart from those offered as repros that is

Andy
Old 14-08-15, 01:04 PM

Yes boss!
Old 14-08-15, 01:49 PM

Hi Les,

I echo pretty much everything Colin has said. I only started collecting in March & threw myself into it & had picked up 50-60 badges before I discovered this site. I then discovered how many fakes I'd picked up!

I did feel a bit demoralised at first but I've stuck at it &, in addition to the help & advice that's freely available on here, I've found a trusted dealer & mentor who's helping me a lot. Both in growing my collection & my education! I now feel confident enough to buy at collector's fairs & car boot sales but still make the occasional slip.

Cheers

Steve
Old 14-08-15, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Bubble View Post
Hi Les,

I echo pretty much everything Colin has said. I only started collecting in March & threw myself into it & had picked up 50-60 badges before I discovered this site. I then discovered how many fakes I'd picked up!

I did feel a bit demoralised at first but I've stuck at it &, in addition to the help & advice that's freely available on here, I've found a trusted dealer & mentor who's helping me a lot. Both in growing my collection & my education! I now feel confident enough to buy at collector's fairs & car boot sales but still make the occasional slip.

Cheers

Steve
Steve I hope the good ones outnumbered the fakes helpful round here aren't they? someone mentioned to me about going to militaria fairs, I like the idea of being able to handle the badges but more homework for me to do before I can be unleashed on my own
Allison
Old 14-08-15, 04:31 PM

Hi Allison,

I'd say that before getting involved with this board, my strike rate was about 50/50 & I'll be perfectly honest & admit that that was more by luck than good judgement!

Since then, my success rate is closer to 95%.

I'm definitely still learning though!

Steve
Old 14-08-15, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Bubble View Post
Hi Allison,

I'd say that before getting involved with this board, my strike rate was about 50/50 & I'll be perfectly honest & admit that that was more by luck than good judgement!

Since then, my success rate is closer to 95%.

I'm definitely still learning though!

Steve
That's a dramatic improvement, did you keep the fakes btw?
Old 14-08-15, 04:59 PM

Yes. They're in a box at the back of my wardrobe.

The collector in me wants to keep them there so that they fool nobody else. The Yorkshireman in me wants to find a scrap dealer to sell them to so I can at least recover their metal value!

At the moment, the collector is holding out!
Old 14-08-15, 06:26 PM

I don't think I'd chuck them either
Old 15-08-15, 05:42 AM

Les comments added in the Yeomanry section for the Shopshire Yeomanry.

Garry