British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-19, 11:39 PM

Default Mystery formation sign

Please can anyone confirm the identity of the unit wearing this FS?

I have seen it described as 72 Infantry Bde, which I doubt as that Brigade wore the white/red 6 point star, and subsequently a blue shield with yellow border.

Thanks, Stephen.

PS- I don't own the badge pictured, it is an unattributed internet sample.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72 British Brigade Group FS (C&T)(1).jpg (65.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 17-01-19, 10:28 AM

Well it has the white and red rose of the two houses of Yorkshire and Lancashire ? a starting pint I guess...
Old 17-01-19, 11:59 AM

It's a rare and very desirable example of the sign of 73 British Inf Bde - one of a series of wholly British Army Inf Bdes formed in the period from 1946 to Indian Partition and Independence with an Internal Security role. Most of these Brigades wore a sign based on a blue shield with a yellow design - these included 16 British Indep Inf Bde Gp (yellow XVI on blue shield with yellow border), 23 British Inf Bde (two yellow squares above a yellow horizontal line and then three yellow squares - again with yellow border. 29 British Inf Bde (single yellow flower above yellow 29 and with yellow border), 72 British Inf Bde (yellow design (two conjoined arcs) and yellow border. There's one more I cannot recall - maybe 264 British Inf Bde?
As far as I know all were locally made - and all very rare. It is said that the common designs - and colours were to ensure they were not mistaken for British-Indian Army formations at this very difficult time in India's history.
Mike
Old 17-01-19, 11:24 PM

Default Mystery

Thank you all for your contributions. I'll just disappear and embroider a couple to put on eBay later!

Stephen.