British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum
ebay
'Badges/Patches' 'Militaria, Badges'    Medals

Military Badges

All British  WW1  WW2 WW1   WW2

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Classifieds: Sales and Wanted

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-18, 07:21 AM

,LOL, On the subject of the colour of the central jewel upon Tudor crown military, naval and civil badges, I certainly was not using any form of "speculation" notwithstanding, quite frankly, you have provided your own "evidence" in post fourteen which does confirm my thoughts written in post eight.
With regard to the date a particular badge was made, the attached, was
very clearly, manufactured after 1920.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Would you be kind enough to supply evidence please? Speculation is one thing, but evidence is another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030386.jpg (57.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 19-10-18, 07:52 AM

There is always going to be exception to the rule and that was what I was showing in in post #14. However, that is not proof that the badge was manufactured after 1920. Published works stipulate that the central jewel changed to blue in 1920 and Alex states that "if I remember correctly, in 1920, the blue jewel on new badges was actually written into the dress regs" (sic). It would be great if someone could provide this evidence of this of course.

, LOL, Please remember that we are talking about cap badges of the Royal Navy and not the Royal Air Force.
Old 19-10-18, 08:08 AM

An interesting document in an earlier thread here

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...17&postcount=4
Old 19-10-18, 01:00 PM

I made very clear from the outset that I was talking about the red central jewel upon Tudor crown badges, which include naval, military and civil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
There is always going to be exception to the rule and that was what I was showing in in post #14. However, that is not proof that the badge was manufactured after 1920. Published works stipulate that the central jewel changed to blue in 1920 and Alex states that "if I remember correctly, in 1920, the blue jewel on new badges was actually written into the dress regs" (sic). It would be great if someone could provide this evidence of this of course.

, LOL, Please remember that we are talking about cap badges of the Royal Navy and not the Royal Air Force.
Old 19-10-18, 02:41 PM

Thanks Nozzer, that might be the document I was remembering.
I did think that the jewel change was specifically aimed at RN badges though rather than all bullion badges. That was what I've always assumed it referred to, anyway
Cheers,
Alex
Old 19-10-18, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
I did think that the jewel change was specifically aimed at RN badges though rather than all bullion badges. That was what I've always assumed it referred to, anyway
Cheers,
Alex
Hi Alex,

I was really hoping to find more information. Coleman seem certain of the the date being around 1920, but offers no evidence. I wonder what his source was?

All the best,

Andy
Old 19-10-18, 07:20 PM

I have always thought there was only one Tudor crown, the design of which became standardised in 1902, at the request of the King, to represent government authority and to be used on military, naval and civil badges, are you saying there was more that one Tudor crown with different details for different services?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Cheers,
Alex
Old 20-10-18, 05:36 AM

Hi Frank
No not really. I had thought that it was only the RN dress regs which standardised the blue jewel in the centre of the crown and didn't think it necessarily applied to the other services. The crown design on the whole was already set.
Cheers,
Alex