British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-04-20, 08:35 PM

Default Essex Cap Badge

I know that somewhere here I read that the Essex cap badge where the castle intrudes into the Egypt Title above it is a fake. I don't doubt the folks on this forum , but did stumble upon something that I find interesting, and maybe contentious?

About 10 years ago when I was collecting WW1 cap badges I found a site on the net that had pictures off the various badges, and at the time that was my source. The site was "British Armed Forces & National Service". Have not been able to find it since though.

In their pictures of the Essex badge they show the one with the castle intruding into the Egypt title and list it as 1908-1922. They show two other Essex badges that do not have the castle intruding into the Egypt title.

I tried to get some pictures from the pages I had printed off, and they are not very good, but you can see what I am talking about. I would appreciate any thoughts on this - is that a valid badge?

Terry
Old 26-04-20, 08:41 PM

No, its not.
Old 26-04-20, 09:21 PM

No not a good badge with castle intruding into plinth

Gerard
Old 26-04-20, 10:01 PM

The website in question that the images in the original post were taken from can be accessed by clicking here
Old 26-04-20, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post
The website in question that the images in the original post were taken from can be accessed by clicking here
And a few duff ones amongst them also

Gerard
Old 27-04-20, 07:46 AM

I am slightly confused by the photographs of the Essex Regiment cap badge as they are not very high resolution.

If I am understanding this correctly, the tower intrudes into the space occupied by the plinth on this particular fake?

On a genuine badge there is not necessarily a cap between the tower and the plinth, but it doesn't intrude into the plinth? Or should there be a Distinct gap?

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=55509
Old 27-04-20, 08:44 AM

Default Other badges...

Just to add my twopenniesworth, 9 of the 10 VTC badged illustrated on that website are copies (probably the 10th as well, but hard to tell from the front), as are all of the Pals badges...

Not a great resource, I'm afraid.

best regards, Tim
Old 27-04-20, 09:34 PM

High Wood, It's my understanding that if the castle intrudes into the plinth (Egypt) that is is a fake. Sadly the one I have does, so I got a replacement. I'll give the bad one to a friend who isn't really a collector but like military stuff.

Terry
Old 27-04-20, 10:48 PM

The badge subject of this thread is a a complete and utter fake.

I posted the following in reply to a previous thread in respect of this heap of crap of a badge:

" In addition to this particular pattern, the same fake die has been used to produce both Territorial badges and also The Essex Rifles Militia, (reversed metals).

In addition to the Castle tower encroaching into the plinth, the rear is completely wrong, far too flat, incorrect brazing holes and the definition on the Oak leaf wreath is wrong".

Since posting the above, I have now discovered the same die being used to produce a 1916 economy pattern.

HW: There is never really a complete 'see through' gap between turret top and plinth, but a slight gap nevertheless.

However, I was told a few years ago that there was possibly a pattern with a distinct gap, never proved nor evidenced.

I'm still searching.

Regards.

Brian