British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-15, 01:57 PM

Default Canadian Army Pacific Force

My only Canadian uniform at this time. Coming to me recently in a trade with a friend who found it in Hawaii, not sure how it made that trip. Dated Sep 1944 on the inside. The CAPF patch as one can see is multi Piece constructed. Is there significance to the green diamond shaped backing? The veteran had obviously seen some service prior to assignment with the PACF. I know from my reading that this was a short lived organization. All comments welcomed.

Last edited by irish; 15-03-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 13-03-15, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Irish, Nice tunic. The tunic tells a story, and here is some of the interpretation. The GS badge was issued to Canadian personnel serving in Canada (not overseas in the UK or Europe). GS= General Service which meant that he was a volunteer and not an NRMA man. (National Resources Mobilization Act personnel were conscripted not volunteers.) The red chevrons on the oppsite sleeve represented 3 years service. The RCA identified an unassigned (eg not part of a regiment) Royal Canadian Artillery soldier. The CAPF patches are homemade, and they are super-imposed on the Pacific Command patch. The sergeants chevrons are late war, and he has the field gun for gunner sgt. Last but not least the Canada nationality titles in worsted. This fellow, according to his insignia did not serve overseas, but was in the active army in Canada for several years and volunteered for the CAPF.
Old 13-03-15, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Irish, Nice tunic. The tunic tells a story, and here is some of the interpretation. The GS badge was issued to Canadian personnel serving in Canada (not overseas in the UK or Europe). GS= General Service which meant that he was a volunteer and not an NRMA man. (National Resources Mobilization Act personnel were conscripted not volunteers.) The red chevrons on the oppsite sleeve represented 3 years service. The RCA identified an unassigned (eg not part of a regiment) Royal Canadian Artillery soldier. The CAPF patches are homemade, and they are super-imposed on the Pacific Command patch. The sergeants chevrons are late war, and he has the field gun for gunner sgt. Last but not least the Canada nationality titles in worsted. This fellow, according to his insignia did not serve overseas, but was in the active army in Canada for several years and volunteered for the CAPF.

Bill, great write up and interpretation of this tunic. You never cease to amaze me.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 13-03-15, 03:48 PM

Thank You Bill for that clear and concise description. Where would an individual have served within Canada during the war and in particular with an artillery specialty?

What determined who went overseas and who stayed within Canada for the war? Or was the fact that he volunteered the only reason?

I realize these questions are a bit broad and general but wondered if this person may have been older? Or possibly an instructor?

Best
Jack

Last edited by irish; 13-03-15 at 04:02 PM.
Old 13-03-15, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jack, With the Pacific Command patch, this fellow was likely serving with some artillery establishment in British Columbia or Alberta. It could have been a Headquarters or some sort of artillery support or training establishment.
A couple of factors impacted who was sent overseas. Until late 1944 only volunteers could serve overseas, NRMA men were restricted to active service in Canada. If the fellow was General Service, as this fellow was, he could be sent overseas or held in Canada either in an active service unit or in a training role. Despite the need for infantry reinforcements, there was not a great demand for artillery reinforcements.
The criteria for the CAPF volunteers were fairly strict as far as age and fitness went, so it is not likely this fellow was older.
Hope this helps.
Old 13-03-15, 06:49 PM

Default Overseas Service

Just to add to what Bill has already written, the hard fact is that not everyone in the Army can serve overseas. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, there has to be someone back in Canada to fill training, administrative and home defense positions. As we see, the owner of this BD blouse had just that luck, although from the formation badges that had the war continued he was ready to have a go at the Japanese.
Old 14-03-15, 04:35 AM

Great looking BD that I would be happy to have in my collection. Good find.
Old 14-03-15, 04:40 PM

Thanks to everyone for their help and comments on this uniform. Have looked everywhere to find a name in it but no luck as of yet. For my one and only Canadian uniform I am pleased.

Jack
Old 15-03-15, 01:07 AM

I'm wondering if this could have been worn by members of 15 Coast Regiment RCA.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 17-03-15, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

That is certainly a possibility. Archive docs indicate that certain RCA regiments wore only the generic corps title.
Old 17-03-15, 09:25 PM

In reading a bit on the 15th Coast Regiment it appears that most of the CA forts in their zone were reduced to maintenance staff by late 1944. Gunners were being reassigned to other duties. So this individual could have been pro active and volunteered for the CAPF, rather than risk a less than desirable reassignment.
Old 17-03-15, 09:40 PM

Default CAPF

I think there is one problem with that hypothesis, the CAFP was not formed until mid-1945.
Old 17-03-15, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

The CAPF did not start actively recruiting until after VE Day, sometime in mid-May 1945. Many personnel in the Active army in Canada volunteered for the CAPF for many different reasons. It would be difficult to attribute much to this soldier without accessing his service file. Even then, it would be subject to a lot of interpretation.
Old 17-03-15, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
I think there is one problem with that hypothesis, the CAFP was not formed until mid-1945.
Good point, that leaves quit a gap time wise.