British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-08, 02:58 PM

Smile My Canadian CEF badges

Hello there. Just thought I would show my two frames of WW1 Canadian CEF badges. I've had these for about 20 years and were the majority of badges inside a tin which my father inherited from an old family friend. Some were in better condition than others, and a couple had to have sliders repaired/improvised, but I think they look well in the frame. Never had any plans to expand the collection, but I'm very proud of them. Let's hope they attract a few interesting comments.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 001.jpg (91.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 002.jpg (74.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 003.jpg (67.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 004.jpg (77.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 005.jpg (71.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-04-08, 03:01 PM

Smile And a few more

Here's some more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 006.jpg (86.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 007.jpg (89.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 008.jpg (85.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 009.jpg (77.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-04-08, 03:03 PM

Smile And the rest

That's all folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 010.jpg (74.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 011.jpg (70.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 012.jpg (63.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian badges and Others 013.jpg (37.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-04-08, 03:49 PM
Banned

always interesting to see an old collection but must warn you that some of your badges have a serious problem of verdigris which looks like it has been there for many years and has now impaired the badges. I think it was caused from heat when they where repaired. They must be cleaned ASAP but I think they are permant stained . Thee is a good thread on cleaning on this forum

PAUL
Old 03-04-08, 04:07 PM

Default Staining

Paul,
Thanks for that. Those marks were always there since I had them, and I couldn't shift them then, but thank you very much for the advice. I'll get onto it
John
Old 03-04-08, 04:42 PM
Banned

It is interesting as you are in Ireland where the badges collected during WW1
from soldiers over there or just a private collection ?

PAUL
Old 03-04-08, 05:13 PM

Hi John,
I wonder if you could post a close up of the 49th badge - looks a little different than those I'm familiar with.
Thanks!
Ian.
Old 03-04-08, 07:04 PM
Banned

It is the maple leaf version their first issue before lestok the coyote appeared

PAUL
Old 03-04-08, 08:51 PM

Smile My CEF Badges

I don't know where they were collected from initially. They all came in a battered tin box from the farm of an old family friend who had died a few years previously. This was about 1986 or 87. The majority were Canadian, but there were some nice other ones too such as Royal Flying Corps, Gloucestershire Regiment and the Black Watch. The old man had done a bit of antique dealing in his time and I'm just guessing that they came into his possession somewhere along the line. Maybe a house clearance or something.
There's actually some very strong connections between Northern Ireland and Canada. If you look at many of the war memorials in each town, there is nearly always one or two who fought in the CEF and also ANZAC forces, although I genuinely have no idea where these badges were sourced from.
Glad to share them with you all though.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49th CEF.jpg (21.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Faugh-A-Ballagh; 03-04-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 09:51 PM
Banned

Yes the connection between Ireland and CANADA is indeed strong and many Canadian soldiers would have taken advantage of leaves to revisit the homeland while waiting to head over to France.

PAUL
Old 04-04-08, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbear View Post
It is the maple leaf version their first issue before lestok the coyote appeared

PAUL
Right as usual Paul, I just thought it looked more "curvaceous" than the normal version of that badge but I must have been thinking about something else...

Thanks for the posting John.

Ian.
Old 05-04-08, 01:52 AM
Banned

YA SPRING is in the AIR but you are in TORONTO don't breathe to DEEP
Old 30-07-09, 05:22 PM

Default MY CEF badges

I finally managed to get the worst of the verdidgris off them by a quick dip in some vinegar, as recommended in another thread and it seems to have done the trick. Just to get a new lug put on one, and the crown on the Cyclists one properly repaired, and they will look a lot nicer than the album. I may re-do the album, time permitting.
Anyone know of any good books on the subject of CEF badges? Always keen to know a bit more about what I have.

John
Old 30-07-09, 09:33 PM

Default CEF Badge Books

Hi John,

One of the best affordable books is "Cap Badges of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces 1914-1918" by Lenard Babin - can find on e-bay for about $10.

The bibles for CEF badges are "The Charlton Standard Catalogue of First World War Corps Badges" and "The Charlton Standard Catalogue of First World War Infantry Badges". The corps book is still a reasonable price, about $30-40. The infantry book is pretty much out of sight - I've seen from $150-$500 (!). These books have a price guide - though pretty out of date (1994-ish). These two books are out of print. Lots of rumours about Charlton publishing an update but when I asked them they told me "not enough interest"...

Cox "Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-1918" is a good reference too - the badge pictures are actual size which is very useful.

There is a collectors book covering the CEF in general by Victor Taboika available on e-bay for about $100 - it is excellent and not just devoted to badges.

There are a few more out there but I don't have them.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 30-07-09, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default References

Rumours of a second or expanded edition of the Charlton catalogues persist. Chris Brooker was supposedly working on a new edition. It was to be more comprehensive than the existing catalogues. Must ask Chris if this is in the works.
I would highly recommend Joe Harper's A Source of Pride as a reference, as it explains the badges and authorizations for the badges. It is not a catalogue per se, but an explanation of the badges and how they came to be, etc. I don't think it is in print any more. Clive Law's Service Publications carried the book but it is not listed in the inventory any more.
The forum itself has a bibliography worth reviewing. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/boo...liography2.htm

Last edited by Bill A; 31-07-09 at 05:19 PM.