British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-10, 04:23 AM

Default 14 RCA service no. help

I have a very nice original 3rd Div. blouse with 14 RCA tabs. Inside on the pocket is the service number D7689. This is what I know:

Canadian 3rd Div., 14 RCA; Rank is corporal / bombardier
Service number of D7689
Enlisted out of Montreal, the 66th Batt.

Can anyone help ID this soldier? Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards,
HB
Old 04-05-10, 11:12 AM

Hello HB. IMO it is an almost impossible task,unless you happened to have his identity discs/"dogtags" as I know of no units keeping a record of those enlistments post-war.All records were sent to Ottawa for safe-keeping. Maybe you could find the war diary of the said unit, in the archives in Ottawa, and have a look in them (usually in the "Part II" of the war diary)

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 04-05-10, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Hi HB, Using the service number you can try to access the personnel files at LAC. It is more difficult without the name, but still possible.
Old 04-05-10, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi HB, Using the service number you can try to access the personnel files at LAC. It is more difficult without the name, but still possible.

One problem here Bill, you can access the files only if the soldier has been dead for 25 years.or more.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 04-05-10, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, Sorta. They will only release limited information if there is no proof of death.
The files are not completely sealed. But HB should be able to get the name, then research the fellow to see if he is deceased. Once research establishes the status, further research can be done.
Old 04-05-10, 12:35 PM

Thanks guys. I bought the BD uniform about 15 years ago from collector of German WW2 who found them at an antique shop. Paid $100. The service no. penned on the inside matched the enlistment nos. for the 14 RCA. I was encouraged by the ID of this Seaforth Highlander here:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=7251
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14rca.jpg (72.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-05-10, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hi HB, Unfortunately, not all regimental histories are created equal. The infantry regimental histories are usually much more detailed and thorough. The RCA histories were mostly prepared in the summer of 1945, and are a mixed bag. Some provide nominal rolls, others don't. I have the history for the 14 FD RCA, and it has an Honour Roll, and Awards and Honours, but no nominal roll. If you get the soldier's name, he may be mentioned in the history.
Old 04-05-10, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Jo, Sorta. They will only release limited information if there is no proof of death.
The files are not completely sealed. But HB should be able to get the name, then research the fellow to see if he is deceased. Once research establishes the status, further research can be done.
Thanks for the info Bill.Still HB has to connect the number with a name.Can he do that with just the number.???

Jo

Old 04-05-10, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

As far as I understand, the service number should get you some information. Obviously, it is a more difficult research task, and may take more time.
Old 04-05-10, 01:38 PM

Thanks Bill.
Jo

Old 04-05-10, 01:54 PM

Thanks Bill, guys. The RCA Museum graciously sent me a copy of the Regimental History of the 14 RCA years back, and I made a donation to them for their trouble (nice folks). That service number doesn't turn up. I'd like to simply put a name to this Bombardier. I enjoy the research and "personalizing" these artifacts. This was a pretty significant and hard charging field artillery unit and I think it honors the contributions and sacrifices of these men to remember them. Here are a couple of my other research projects:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....42-vet-history

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...met-w-camo-net

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...an-camo-helmet
Old 06-05-10, 12:52 PM

Default 14 RCA History and BD

I have the 14 RCA History as well as a named BD to the unit.....will try to see if I can find anything about that service number...
Old 06-05-10, 12:59 PM

Old 06-05-10, 02:50 PM

Michael, I really like that canvas "Canada" tab. Mine is wool. Great BD and any help is appreciated.
Old 06-05-10, 06:31 PM

Default Not impossible.

Bill A is correct, you can get limited information, a redacted service record from the Archives for SWW servicemen without proof of death or death under 20 years. While I have researched dozens of men and officers I have never attempted with just a service number, but sometimes just an incomplete name and got the basic documents I needed.

Anyway, I would suggest making an archives request under ATIP, "access to information and privacy". There is a nominal $5 fee for these requests, they must be specific and in writing. However, the archives analysts are pretty prompt about getting back to you as under the ATIP requirements they must respond in 30 days.

Write them a request stating your purpose to verify and identify your artifact with the limited information you have, you should at the least get back a name if not some of the service record docs. (request the award/medal entitlement card from his records). I have even had some analysts during some record searches let me know if the person is deceased more than 20 years with the helpful hint that more records could be available to me. Though I would think that knowledge is not always available in a service record, in my case it was probably based on pension or medical records indicating death.

If that turns out not to work for you, you could request the part I and part II orders for the 14th RCA, which somewhere within, will have the man's name to with the service number.

It's going to take a bit of leg work but certainly possible to do.
Bill.