British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-12-20, 04:28 PM

Default Suffolk Regiment Pagri Badges.

Hi All,
The last of the Suffolk pagri badges that I've gone for, arrived yesterday, along with the fake 12th of Foot glengarry badge mentioned elsewhere. Hopefully, one or two of you may like to have a look at these, and as always, any and all comments, will be most welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1821.jpg (55.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1822.jpg (84.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1823.jpg (88.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1824.jpg (95.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1825.jpg (83.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1826.jpg (77.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1827.jpg (92.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1828.jpg (93.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1829.jpg (84.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1830.jpg (55.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1831.jpg (61.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-12-20, 04:54 PM

Chris,

Nice additions.

One negative comment would be about the third one. It has what I describe as a typical commercial after market brooch pin on it rather than a typical military original.

I am thinking its a brass other ranks badge that has been plated, loops removed and a brooch fitted.

You have the advantage of holding it in your hands, what do you think?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 04-12-20, 05:21 PM

Dunno! Simon, I just looked for voided and unvoided examples, brass and silvered, I did notice that all the pins are different, what that means, I don't know. I did, however, think that all of these badges had brooch type pins, and only the copies that have appeared were fitted with loops.
Old 04-12-20, 05:25 PM

Chris,

I cant say what it originally had under the replaced brooch fittings but that brooch fitting is not original to the badge.

There are several threads that discuss the type of after market brooch fittings but I cant find them I am afraid.

regards

Old 04-12-20, 07:31 PM

Okay then, Simon, what do you think about the badge itself, I'm afraid that it will be going in the bin, if it's a bit iffy. However, I don't really want to be doing that too often, the seller got the price he wanted for it, and I've got the badge, but it hasn't actually been paid for yet.
Old 04-12-20, 07:33 PM

I don’t know if it’s an original badge or not, because of the alterations to it, namely the plating and the no original fittings. Seek other people’s opinion on here. Regards

Old 04-12-20, 08:26 PM

Oh Dear! many thanks, Simon, I guess three out of four isn't too bad, if it does turn out to be a dud, hopefully, the other three are good 'uns. I've just discovered that I've won a badge on eBay tonight, I'd like to get your opinion on it, please bear with me for a few minutes.

Last edited by thursdaychris; 04-12-20 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 08:43 PM

Hi Simon, I thought that I could edit this onto the last post, but evidently not! Anyhow, I told myself that I wasn't going to get any more badges off eBay, then I saw this one, what do you think? I see these all the time on eBay described as officers capbadges and they want £30+ for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0986.jpg (55.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0987.jpg (54.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 04-12-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 09:06 PM

Its clearly a collar badge.

regards

Old 04-12-20, 09:16 PM

Cool Suffolk collars

Chris,
I think this has been mentioned before that looped Suffolk OSD's are collar badges, maybe some officers wore them as cap badges and many dealers will tell you the same, but they are collar badges as Simon has said.

Rob
Old 04-12-20, 09:38 PM

Chris-if you intend to collect long term you do need to keep in mind there are a limited number of dealers to buy from. Though most are good about returned badges, it could cause dealers to become wary of dealing with you if it should happen more than once in a short time. On ebay its easy for a seller to block buyers they take against. It is right to return a badge that turns out to be duff, but it can cause problems further down the line. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 04-12-20 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 10:38 PM

Yes, this collar badge, I did know what it was, I take it that it is genuine, which is what I needed to know. I didn't expect to pay quite so much for it, but it ended up costing me £14.50. If, eventually, I can get another one, just like it, I'll have a pair of OSD collar badges for £29. I don't have a pair of these, I have not seen a pair of these for sale, anywhere, yet, and every single OSD collar badge that I've seen, so far, including this one, has been listed as a capbadge, and with this one exception, priced accordingly.

Last edited by thursdaychris; 06-12-20 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-12-20, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
I don’t know if it’s an original badge or not, because of the alterations to it, namely the plating and the no original fittings. Seek other people’s opinion on here. Regards
It is clearly a finer and cleaner strike than the far left brass badge, but appears to be from the same die. That first left badge also has a crudely replaced brooch pin from some piece of jewelry which could not be used with that barrel like thing in the middle of it. The second from left has a replaced pin as well. They appear to be old and speaking for myself, I don't mind these, as the badges were obviously used and have character, although I would not pay as much for them as a badge with the original fittings.
I would have no worries about the silver one and that includes the brooch pin. Whilst it is a replacement, it is likely old and not infrequently done for whatever the soldier's desire was. Could be an NCO upgrade. I like it.
Thing is, I am aware not aware of any photos showing these particular badges in wear and they seem to be relatively common relative to some other Pagri badges.

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 04-12-20 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 11:04 PM

It looks like a well done and period repair to me.
Old 05-12-20, 12:59 AM

With rare and big ticket items it pays dividends to research it and study as many examples as you can before buying. Then only buy one you’re 100% happy with.

I agree with CB that 3 of the 4 pagri badges appear to have replacement pins. The who’s, the whys and the wherefores of the voiding variations and plating... worthy of some retrospective research perhaps?

Personally I’d have waited and bought one example I was totally happy with as being original and in good condition, based on research, rather than 4, 3 of which are defective to a degree.

Re the glengarry it does not look right to me, not one I would buy as an original.