British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-13, 11:08 AM

Thank you Alan,I felt it was good but it's good to have verification from people more experienced than I.Roger
Old 22-02-13, 03:32 PM

I have to say they do turn up fairly frequently here in the UK and usually reach £200 - £250.

The price has remained so for some time?

TRT
Old 19-03-13, 05:00 PM

Default Tyneside Scottish Opinions Please

Hi All

Picked up at a local auction house in with a job lot.

what do you think?

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (48.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (53.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (40.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 19-03-13, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry bad news. The design is identical to a known fake and very different from known originals.

Alan
Old 19-03-13, 05:14 PM

Cheers Alan

oh well you win some lose some, there were load of badges picked up in the lot. some do look like restrikes, I know one is a DLI silver one as there's is hallmark on the end of the bugle.
theres also many life guard badges a couple are enamelled.
Old 13-03-16, 11:30 AM

Looking at the third photograph, I'd actually be rather more inclined to say that, yet again, the original lugs have been replaced with "more suitable" ones, you can see the remains of the one on the right, just below the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Hi,this arrived this morning and I would like opinions please it's possible a pin has been removed and replaced with lugs.Thanks Roger
Old 15-03-16, 08:42 AM

Anyone else got any photographs of replacement lugs on these badges, they are encountered far too often and those that I have seen in the past tend to be like the example shown by RMR on here.
I think, from memory, John Sheen, in his book, mentions the first pattern badge being replaced and soldiers being allowed to retain their original badge, whilst wearing the new one.
Many years ago, as a boy, it was suggested to me, that these badges had their lugs removed and were all pinned, but, I have seen rather more like the example shown here by RMR, sometimes, as here, with RMR's badge, that clearly shown the remains of the original lugs.

Photographic evidence clearly shows these badges being worn on the glengarry well into 1915, has anyone else got any badges with original or replaced lugs, before and after, if you like?
One assumes the original lugs were replaced with new lugs or pins locally, has anyone any thoughts on this, I was thinking, just perhaps, Reid and Sons, 23 Blackett Street, Newcastle, still in business in their same location today.
Old 29-08-16, 09:22 AM

Hi
I'd like to contribute to this thread's knowledge while at the same time adding to my own, although frequently some data raises more questions than answers.
I am posting pics of two of my badges though unfortunately can't scan the backs.
The 3rd Pattern has long lugs and the 4th Pattern has flat hexagonal shoulder title type lugs.
Appreciate if badges pass the authenticity test.
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TynesideScottish.jpg (60.3 KB, 49 views)

Tags
brass vs white metal, shoulder title, tyneside scottish