British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-10, 01:46 PM

Default Damaged goods!!!!.

Hello gents,
A few weeks ago I purchased a badge [ A West Yorkshire bronze officers capbadge] from a prominent dealer.
Upon arrival one of the blades was broken damaged in the post I guess, I emailed said dealer and his reply rather shocked me he told me it was not down to him and if I had a problem I should claim from the post office which would take 6 to 8 weeks to resolve. I know if I had sold that badge I would
have given the buyer a full refund what do you guys think. regards Andy.

Last edited by yorkie; 29-01-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 29-11-10, 02:24 PM

I could be wrong here but I think any claim against the Royal mail for damage or loss must be made by the poster as it is he/she who has a contract with Royal mail.
Old 29-11-10, 02:34 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Andy,

I can't be sure from the photo but that doesn't look like a new break ?? nor does it look like the original joint, I'm nearly always wrong but .........

Dave.
Old 29-11-10, 03:53 PM
Former Member

Andy,
as you know I pack my items well, even so I would happily refund or at least offer a reduction in the selling price as IMO it is the senders responsibility to ensure the items are packed well enough to withstand the rigors of the Royal Mails machinery and manhandling! It so happens I also had a badge delivered today that was divorced of one of its lugs... I shall inform the sender who infairness packed it rather well, in a ball of bubble wrap!

Another Andy
Old 29-11-10, 04:06 PM

In my opinion it is the responsibilty of the seller to make sure he has a satisfied customer... that says alot doesn't it... the seller should be giving a refund on return of badge... a discount on the purchase price or a discount on the next deal you do with him... if to many dealers start taking the high road with their customers it's going to be bad for the hobby all the way around... you pay more from something from a dealer because you trust him to deliver the goods... no questions asked...
Old 29-11-10, 04:13 PM

Going slightly off subject, I have had blades come off OSD badges on a number of occasions so now I bend the blades back on themselves ( where there are not already signs of fractures ) to form loops. The badges can then be put onto and removed from display cards with the possibility of the blades being broken off greatly reduced.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blades.jpg (47.2 KB, 59 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-11-10, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
Hello gents,
A few weeks ago I purchased a badge [ A West Yorkshire bronze officers capbadge] from a prominent dealer.
Upon arrival one of the blades was broken damaged in the post I guess, I emailed said dealer and his reply rather shocked me he told me it was not down to him and if I had a problem I should claim from the post office which would take 6 to 8 weeks to resolve. I know if I had sold that badge I would
Bullshit.

The seller has total responsibility for ensuring safe arrival of the packaged goods regardless of what they try and say and worm themselves out of. This is the reason SELLERS buy insurance. It is to insure THEIR goods until they are safely delivered to you when they become YOUR goods and not a second before. It is up to HIM to retrieve the cost of insurance not you and if you are not satisfied with the product sold to you then you should demand an immediate refund including the price of postage.

PLEASE expose the seller here on the forum for all to see so that the rest of us can avoid this sort of service.

Regards

Chris
Old 30-11-10, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
Hello gents,
Hi Andy - if you paid by PayPal lodge a complaint with them and you will get your money back (must do so with 45 days of transaction). In PayPal's eyes it is the seller that is responsible for delivery of the goods as sold - loss in the post is also not an excuse the seller can use. Cheers, Ian.
Old 30-11-10, 01:12 AM

I can confirm that with Royal Mail the person who posted the item, in this case the seller, has to make the claim.

As long as they obtained a "Proof of Posting" certificate it is not a problem, it just takes a while, and you have a form to fill in.

The seller probably does not like filling in forms. Who does?
Old 30-11-10, 03:01 PM

I am not able to add any factual information as to how to proceed in this matter. However, it would seem to me the seller did not use due care and take the necessary precautions to insure the safe arrival of this badge.

That is not something, you as the recipient can control. Therefore, I personally would take the seller to task for this.If he refuses to assist or reimburse you the funds, name and shame the seller so as others may be aware their poor shipping habits.

I received a pair of cuff links and tie clip in the post late last week. They sent in a paper envelope with no padding, nothing....how they were not damaged, is beyond me. Although these items were not damaged, I did contact the seller and express my dismay, in how they were shipped. Yeah, pretty much fell on deaf ears.

It just amazes me that we still badges/medals, whatever sent through the post where no care has been taken to ensure the safety of the items.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 30-11-10, 09:34 PM

Being a full time dealer I can not beleave this guys attertude towards you and your purchase he should know that your unable to claim for the item as its the senders contract with the postoffice if it was me, I would just except the item back and not argue at all and issue a refund or agree a discount on other items to allow for the disapiont ment as I have done over the years on the ocasions its been required its all tax deductable at the end of the day ie losses and damages !!! let us all know who he is so we can avoid him
Steve
Old 01-12-10, 12:59 PM

Default RE--DAMAGED GOODS!!!!!.

Hello Gents,
Many thanks for your views regarding the post I made about the damaged badge I recieved, Your views are very similar to what I thought.I just wanted to see what other members thought about this as I guess it could happen to any of us.
I will email him today and let him know what I expect him to do about it,I will send him his badge back to him as soon as I can get out of the house [we have about 14" of snow at the front of the house] as I am disabled.
I have lost count of how many so called dealers on ebay put into their blurb
that THEY are not responsible for their goods once in the hands of the postal
system I think the truth is they just can`t be bothered.
Once again guys thanks ,regards Andy.
Old 01-12-10, 02:29 PM

Hi Andy,
I hope you get sorted, as I remember I think I was watching this one at the time.

Good luck
Paul
BTW thanks again for the DVD's
Old 01-12-10, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstream View Post
Hi Andy,
I hope you get sorted, as I remember I think I was watching this one at the time.

Good luck
Paul
BTW thanks again for the DVD's
Hello Paul, Thank you mate for your kind thoughts,and I hope you enjoyed the dvd`s. regards Andy.

Tags
blades, bronze, damaged., west, yorkshire