British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-10, 06:05 PM

Could I have any opinions on this 7th/8th bn West Yorkshires badge,
slider seems too narrow for my liking.
What do you think?
Regards Tony.

Last edited by tonyb; 24-08-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 20-04-10, 06:31 PM
guest123a

To the very best of my Regimental knowledge the battalion numbers were not removed in WW1, at no time was either 1/7 or 2/7 merged with either 1/8 or 2/8 in any unit history, surviving documents or privately published works on the Leeds Rifles. Having being in A (The Leeds Rifles) Company 1 yorks, and having been attached from the regular army to both 3 PWO and EWRR and being responsible for the Leeds Rifles input in to both these regiments, including looking after and accounting for surviving Leeds rifles Regimental items (less those borrowed by LUOTC). I believe the numbers were removed post WW1 on the forming of 7/8TH Bn before the issue of the 7/8 cap badge, at the same time the 7 or 8 was removed from the shoulder titles for wear with 7/8TH Bn. By the way Dave's Leeds Rifles/West Yorks badge collection is outstanding, having had the pleasure to see it in the flesh so to speak.
Old 20-04-10, 07:23 PM

Here are my two, no reverse image, sorry.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 27-05-11, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMO2440 View Post
Very interesting,
Unfortunately I don't have access to a copy of this now out of print book, could anyone please tell me if it is illustrated in the book, and is the rear of the badge shown? Also is there any year given?

I'm not disputing that it may be some kind of keepsake, anniversary or presentation badge, but what it certainly IS NOT is a cap badge with those lugs on the back and no crown to the top.

As I collect to the Leeds Rifles (and all the mixed up RTR/RA and successor units attributed to them) having a fairly large and comprehensive collection I have never come across this badges nor does anyone ex Leeds Rifles or otherwise I know have any recollection of it being worn or of even having seen it.

I'm not categorically saying that is has nothing to do with the Leeds Rifles and would be most interested in seeing information/proof to support the theory that it is in order to broaden me own Regimental knowledge.

Cheers,
HAMMO2440
No image of the back is given. It is not claimed to be a cap badge in the book. The general text indicates that it is a special embellishment stating "The Leeds Rifles retain the honours of a loop of green, yellow and dark blue ribbon worn on the shoulder straps, a Canadian Maple Leaf Battle Honour Badge on the sleeves, the ribbon of the French Croix de Guerre worn below the maple leaf and a Tank Battle Honour badge".

No date is given for the taking into wear of the "tank honour badge". The introduction describes the book as a "record of British Army badges worn in 2004..."

John
Old 27-05-11, 05:44 AM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
No image of the back is given. It is not claimed to be a cap badge in the book. The general text indicates that it is a special embellishment stating "The Leeds Rifles retain the honors of a loop of green, yellow and dark blue ribbon worn on the shoulder straps, a Canadian Maple Leaf Battle Honor Badge on the sleeves, the ribbon of the French Croix de Guerre worn below the maple leaf and a Tank Battle Honour badge".

No date is given for the taking into wear of the "tank honour badge". The introduction describes the book as a "record of British Army badges worn in 2004..."

John
John,
Thank you very much for the above information, as Peter says the search goes on, some of the infomation from the book quote about embelishments is incorrect, the ribbon is BLACK, GOLD (YELLOW?) and GREEN.

As to the insignia been worn by the Leeds Rifles descendent's in 2004 that is incorrect, I was a PSI with the 3PWO in 2004/2005 and whilst the Maple leaf and the Croix de Guerre ribbon was worn on the jersey heavy wool by the Leeds Rifles Company no shoulder strap ribbon or tank badge were worn. The same again when I was a PSI with the EWRR a few years later when the Leeds Rifles were down to platoon strength they still wore the same as above.

Incidentally I was in the Leeds Rifles Company 1 Yorks 1980 - 1983 only the Croix de Guerre ribbon was worn on number 2 dress (nothing worn in working dress).

Kind regards,
HAMMO2440
Old 05-04-13, 10:03 AM

Default West Yorkshire 7/8th Leeds Rifles

Can any of you chaps enlighten me as to the authenticity and period this badge was worn. cheers Scots grey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scanned Image 130950032.jpg (68.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Scanned Image 130950031.jpg (59.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-04-13, 10:18 AM

My information is that the 7th/8th (Leeds Rifles) Battalion, The west Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) (TA) existed from 1922 to 1936. That narrows it a bit down I assume.

But I do not know if after the splitting in 1936 into the 7th (Leeds Rifles) Battalion, The West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) (TA) and the 66th (Leeds Rifles, the West Yorkshire Regiment) Anti-Aitcraft Brigade, Royal Artillery (TA), members immediately stopped wearing it.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 15-03-15, 06:34 PM

Default Leeds Rifles?

I bought these this W/E possibly Leeds Rifles or RB? One picture shows the badge but missing its crown? The last two pictures are a group shot but I don't recognise the officers cap badges. Any help with ID gratefully received.

thanks

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lr1.jpg (25.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg lr2.jpg (93.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg lr3.jpg (88.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg lr4.jpg (49.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg lr5.jpg (52.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 15-03-15, 06:50 PM

Mark,

Yes Leeds Rifles and other are Cockburn High School Cadets I think.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-03-15, 06:54 PM

Simon many thanks any reason you know of why the crown is missing in one photo?
Old 15-03-15, 07:48 PM

Mark,

It must be broken, I am certain there isnt a badge without a crown?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-03-15, 08:02 PM

I think there is a precedent for altered badges being used in the early days of the VTC in WW1 before official badges and uniforms were authorised for use.

(as per the York and Lancs badge pictured)

I'm not saying that your picture is one of them but it is a possibility. I can't think of an occasion when a soldier would wear a damaged badge.

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vtc f&b.jpg (39.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 16-03-15, 07:47 PM

Full shot of soldier seated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lr6.jpg (26.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 18-03-15, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

He not VTC with a proper tunic and 1908 belt.
Old 18-03-15, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
He not VTC with a proper tunic and 1908 belt.
Why not? If you're suggesting that by the time VTC's were given official recognition and issued 'proper' uniforms they would have been wearing 'proper' badges, that's not totally correct.

I have seen photos of VTC wearing a mixture of 'proper tunics', 08 and 14 pattern belts and a variety of badges.

Issue of uniform and badges varied tremendously even within towns and counties both before approval was given and after official approval was given.

Even after official recognition, it took time for issues of uniform and badges to filter down and a mixture could be expected.

In my experience, the same rule of 'old badges were used until new ones could be issued' applied to the VTC as well as regulars and territorials.

Ivan

Tags
7th bn, 8th bn, leeds pals, leeds rifles, yorkshire