British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-12, 02:52 PM

Default Unidentified but named British naval cap and badge, help please?

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have any idea about this cap and badge combination? I was thinking possibly an unofficial badge worn in service or some kind of Merchant Marine badge?

They have been together forever, as far as i know, they belonged to one Edward (Ted) Green.

Its a soft top navy coloured cap with a black band. It has a simple, lugged, fouled anchor badge with heavy polishing wear (3.5x2.5cm). It has a black leather peak.

Label inside reads ''DVR Green E 56255'' (last 5 could be a 3 or 6). Was he a driver or a diver?

He died recently, aged in his 80s. He was a cousin of one of my friends, she gave me the cap.

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-02-12, 07:43 PM

Hi Phil
I don't know what the DVR is, but I expect it is 'Driver'. I believe the cap badge is for a Dockyard Police constable if it is in white metal. The old South African DP wore the same badge in the pre-republic days.
Regards,
Alex
Old 10-02-12, 08:52 PM

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. The badge is in brass. I thought that driver could be the most likely meaning of DVR. Police had not occured to me, it has been suggested to me that it could be related to tug boats or harbour authorities?

The owner was a Southend man and we have several areas that are, or were, ports and harbours not far away. Harwich and Felixstowe are only a short drive away.

Cheers

Phil
Old 12-02-12, 07:03 PM

Tilbury Docks and the Port of London Authority have been suggested. Has anybody else got any ideas?

Cheers

Phil
Old 12-02-12, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Tilbury Docks and the Port of London Authority have been suggested. Has anybody else got any ideas?

Cheers

Phil
Phil,

Until fairly recently (mid 1990's) Tilbury Docks and the Port of London Authority were one and the same. In other words the PLA were the port authority for Tilbury and that dock simply formed part of their dock system. The cap looks as if it is quite old so I would discount the PLA who had (and still have) their own Coat of Arms which has always featured on the caps of their uniformed staff. Many of the Borough/Town Councils and Haven authorities on the Essex coast employed uniformed staff in their small harbours. Some still do. The liklihood is that the owner of the cap worked for one of them or alternatively he may have been a fisherman or similar and simply wore the old cap and put on it a generic badge to signify his maritime association. I fear that this may be one that you will not get to the bottom of. The cap and badge may simply be a "marriage" with no connection with the other.

Dave.
Old 12-02-12, 11:32 PM

It could be a cap for a civilian driver employed by the RN. The RAF has a similar pattern, worn with an eagle and crown.
Old 13-02-12, 12:43 AM

Hi Dave.

I think you are right, it may well remain a mystery. The one man that may be able to tell me, hates me.

Southend on Sea Pier and Foreshore officers are a possibility.

Hi Dragon, I like that idea, I will look into it, thanks.

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 13-02-12 at 12:50 AM.