British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-18, 07:34 PM

They seemed pop up after that article in Militaria Mag or whichever magazine it was years ago.
A few years after some turned up in a shop in Hastings, allegedly those used to illustrate the article. Some looked genuine, others presumably newly made up to provide illustrations.
Old 02-10-18, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
I do agree with you you never ever rarely saw them and now they seem to be everywhere I wounder how many 49 pattern trousers are getting cut up ? steve
They are using 1970's 1980's british army puttees a lot more ' wooly ' than B.D material. once you know wat to look for spotting the fake B.D material is quite easy
Old 02-10-18, 08:25 PM

What are the one's like on the " The Quartermasters Stores " site ?
Andy
Old 02-10-18, 08:31 PM

Do u mean Mike Finchens site with out me looking Would say with out ANY fear every one is original `un messed` with , Mike is a genuine honest gent .
Old 02-10-18, 08:51 PM

I don't know him at all, but what makes you think these have not been put together ? There of the same style as the rest !?
Andy
Old 02-10-18, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Over the years I have worn many badges and patches and the odd thing was when I had finished with them I unstitched the threads and took them off and put them away. At no point did I feel the need to cut the whole sleeve off a perfectly usable shirt or jacket. Just a thought.
People still do it though.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5787.jpg (45.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5788.jpg (39.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-10-18, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
I don't know him at all, but what makes you think these have not been put together ? There of the same style as the rest !?
Andy
Hi with great respect Andy they are very, different from the othersthat can be seen the construction age an stitching just oooze originality.

Whats going on here is fakers try an replicate the cut off portion of a BD arm and whilst these examples are actually applied to a piece of khaki material then stitched again to the actual B.D arm- you can not stitch a cloth badge to a piece of material and Make it look like its sat there 70 odd years.
The reasoning about these combinations are that they were made up by the unit tailor then issued out to the men to apply them selves or in sum units they were appiled by machine' its said the process was to allow all the insignia to be quicky removed in one easy step before battle I just think it was ease of manufacture by the unit tailor and eased the problem of the soldier not having to give up his battle dress for a few hours in a forward area.
There is' as a side note a recorded incident in Holland 1944 where two dutch women mother an daughter if i remember making up a load of these combinations on the farm house sowing machine in return for the Engineers rebuilding damage to their barn - cow shed by allied artillery .....!
Old 08-10-18, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Still no explanation of the Blu-tac...

Stephen.
Blu tak was invented in 1969 ... and even then it wasnt blue it was white. However Silly Putty was invented in WW2 and also has similar adhesive properties ... eg its used in zero gravity for securing tools etc .
Old 08-10-18, 11:46 PM

Default D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post
Blu tak was invented in 1969 ... and even then it wasnt blue it was white. However Silly Putty was invented in WW2 and also has similar adhesive properties ... eg its used in zero gravity for securing tools etc .
RAD,

Thanks. It must be Blueberry gum then...not that it matters. The point of the thread was to highlight how people are trying to take advantage of us, the punter. I believe we were successful in achieving that.

Stephen.
Old 08-07-19, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
People still do it though.

Chris
In the rag trade, where military clothing used to be recycled for shoddy, rags and felt, people were employed to unstitch cloth badges and metal buttons before the clothing was shredded as they clogged up the machines.

Nowadays, it would probably be too expensive and time consuming to unstitch them and they are cut out with scissors. The damage to the uniform doesn't matter as they are going to be shredded.

Last edited by High Wood; 08-07-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 12:46 PM

I think that is very true, you only very seldom encountered any in years gone by, yet these days they do seem very common indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Totally agree with ASR142 and others, years ago you never saw them, I believe 99% are made up. Tim
Old 08-07-19, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
they were made up by the unit tailor then issued out to the men to apply them selves ....
I'm not suggesting the item that started this thread is real, but an example of a pre-made combination being worn in Holland 1944 can be seen here:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...pictureid=6861

Last edited by Belly; 08-07-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Over the years I have worn many badges and patches and the odd thing was when I had finished with them I unstitched the threads and took them off and put them away. At no point did I feel the need to cut the whole sleeve off a perfectly usable shirt or jacket. Just a thought.
Couldn't agree more with you Alan.
Andy