British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-23, 08:13 PM

Default DCLI Valise badge question

Hello
The attached badge is described in Ivall & Thomas, Military Insignia of Cornwall, states this was worn by 2nd battalion DCLI in the army occupation of Germany (1922-24) and on Guernsey from 1924-27
Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean it was worn on the large pack on their backs? It has a slider, so was a hole made to pop it in, or was it attached to a strap or something. Was this unique to the DCLI, or did anyone else attach a badge?
Are there any photos of DCLI wearing this badge?
Many thanks for your time

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54463a.jpg (34.7 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by 3dg; 07-09-23 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-09-23, 07:12 AM

Valise badges are described for the Worcestershire Regiment and are often mistaken for helmet plates/glengarry badges. The Lincolnshire Regiment wore a large brass Sphinx as a valise badge and I have posted a pic of it being worn on the Forum a bit back. There are others like the Cheshire regiment and all from my understanding are valise badges, cheers Dean
Old 07-09-23, 07:54 AM

Thank you Dean, so those Regiments took up the Valise badges the same time as the DCLI?
I've always been aware of Valise badges as red coats, but not these post WW1 badges.
So they were attached to the 1908 pattern large pack(?) As worn on the back?
Why was this practice taken up post war? Was it for Regimental pride, a show piece as it were?
Fascinating
Cheers

Chris
Old 07-09-23, 08:02 PM

On looking at the other threads regarding Valise badges, they all seem to have been worn pre war by the Guards and other line Regiments, so I can only assume that the DCLI one was literally made post WW1 for the second Battalion, and is unique?
So the soldiers wore their khaki service dress, 1908 webbing with the valise, or backpack, and this badge on it?
Interesting to see all the other Valise badges with chunky brass bracket fixings to slide straps through I assume, and the DCLI has a slider.
Any help would be most helpful, as I am basing everything on my assumption.
Many thanks

Chris
Old 08-09-23, 04:07 PM

These sound more like Music Case (aka Bandsmen’s Pouch) badges. Worn by regimental bandsmen, but not drummers they were suspended in the centre of the back on a diagonal pouch belt. However, they were usually fixed in place by either screw posts or extra long loops to go through the thickness of the ‘buff leather’ (meaning sueded) pouch. In addition in most infantry regiments there was a period when the same pouch, complete with badge, was used by the ‘Adjutant’s orderly’ (a runner) in the days before telephones to convey written and verbal messages around barracks. It was a daily duty furnished by the rostered duty company. These badges vary greatly in design and predate the amalgamations of 1881 so that in those regiments with two lineages their might be different badges for the 1st and 2nd Battalions. They were sometimes constructed via sand casting methods for battalions abroad. They were unofficial in the sense that they were not publicly funded and therefore entirely within the remit of battalion commanding officers, albeit following a traditional design set in regimental headquarters. The Foot Guards did not favour these music cases on the back, preferring instead a case fitted at the front of the waist belt on those occasions when they were felt necessary.

Having studied these things (British Army traditions) for many years now I must say that after the Cardwell Reforms, I’ve never heard of metal Valise badges being worn by any regiments beyond the brigade of Foot Guards, and the Worcestershire Regiment, for whom it was a tradition commemorating their raising by a former officer of the 3rd (Coldstream) Regiment of Foot Guards. They had though, previously been worn by the numbered regiments on the original pattern of valise. The valise badge was subsequently worn on the folded greatcoat placed in the centre of the upper back between the shoulder blades. Before that they had been worn on the black leather ‘valise’, which was a folding, envelope type backpack in which a soldier carried his spare clothing, boots and shaving equipment, etc. when in Marching Order. Other regiments generally had their badge, number, or name painted on instead of a metal badge, depending upon the period. In the Worcestershire Regiment they were later fitted to small packs for wear when on Guard as a regimental idiosyncrasy. The fixture on the back of the valise badge varied as a result of these changes in usage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7961.jpeg (40.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9578.jpg (60.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9577.jpeg (36.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9576.jpg (52.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9579.jpg (28.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9581.jpg (71.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9580.jpg (58.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9583.jpg (31.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9587.jpg (39.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9588.jpg (45.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9589.jpeg (55.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7963.jpg (92.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7949.jpg (54.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 17-09-23 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-09-23, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Hello
The attached badge is described in Ivall & Thomas, Military Insignia of Cornwall, states this was worn by 2nd battalion DCLI in the army occupation of Germany (1922-24) and on Guernsey from 1924-27
Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean it was worn on the large pack on their backs? It has a slider, so was a hole made to pop it in, or was it attached to a strap or something. Was this unique to the DCLI, or did anyone else attach a badge?
Are there any photos of DCLI wearing this badge?
Many thanks for your time

Chris
Its design is just a scaled down copy of a post 1902 helmet plate star. It appears very odd and devoid of any signs of age and wearing. The vertical shank/slider also implies headdress wear. It is decidedly odd. It would be worth contacting the regional museum that covers the DCLI to seek the opinion of someone who focuses in detail on the regiment.
Old 08-09-23, 07:04 PM

Hi Toby
Thank you for your excellent detailed answer.
The badge in question is in the book mentioned in my OP, I've attached the exact script.
The authors, I know one of them was a curator in the museum, and all the information has been collected from there and other Cornwall museums.
I have seen others of these badges, some with numbers stamped on them, and a bit bashed and twisted ends to the star, well used.
And it does actually say it was attached to the large pack, I must have had a senior moment when I read the text as I missed that for some reason.
I'd love to see a photograph of it in use.
The museum is not far from me, I'll have to pop in one day, I was last there in 1994.
Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230908_194128769~2.jpg (17.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-09-23, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Hi Toby
Thank you for your excellent detailed answer.
The badge in question is in the book mentioned in my OP, I've attached the exact script.
The authors, I know one of them was a curator in the museum, and all the information has been collected from there and other Cornwall museums.
I have seen others of these badges, some with numbers stamped on them, and a bit bashed and twisted ends to the star, well used.
And it does actually say it was attached to the large pack, I must have had a senior moment when I read the text as I missed that for some reason.
I'd love to see a photograph of it in use.
The museum is not far from me, I'll have to pop in one day, I was last there in 1994.
Cheers
Chris
Thank you Chris, that’s an interesting revelation and now has me curious as to how many regiments pursued that dress idiosyncrasy and for how long. The Worcestershire’s persisted with it for some time, but not it would seem any others. I agree with you about photos showing the badges in use, as even the Worcestershire’s regimental website doesn’t seem to have any. The other aspect that puzzled me greatly is how the badge with slider would have been affixed to a pack. Pierced holes wouldn’t have been acceptable, so perhaps an open topped tube was stitched to the flap. If you should visit the DCLI museum I’d be interested to learn what you discover.
Old 09-09-23, 09:47 PM

Cheers Dean and Toby for your contribution to my thread.
I'll have to get myself down there, and if I find anything I'll let you know Toby.
If anyone else has any information I'd be grateful.

Many thanks

Chris
Old 10-09-23, 01:55 PM

Chris ,i believe that one the authors of the DCLI book was the late Charles Thomas. His collection was massive,not just DCLI items but everthing. British,Commonwealth etc.
Old 10-09-23, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Chris ,i believe that one the authors of the DCLI book was the late Charles Thomas. His collection was massive,not just DCLI items but everthing. British,Commonwealth etc.
Thanks Mike,
I wonder what happened to his collection?!
I do enjoy this part of collecting, finding something, albeit it's been around a while, and trying to find evidence of its existence, although I don't doubt the authenticity of these particular badges, it seems quite an elaborate story to make up, I think a lot of research went into it, I would just really like to see a photo of this badge being worn, a Regimental one off I'd say, a trip.to the museum with an appointment to see photos and archives is on the cards.
Cheers

Chris
Old 10-09-23, 07:44 PM

Default Professor Charles Thomas Badge collection

Hi Chris, Collection sold by Olympia Auction house,

Fabulous collection see link below.

https://www.olympiaauctions.com/sale...0&v=list#lot-1

best regards John
Old 10-09-23, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalryman View Post
Hi Chris, Collection sold by Olympia Auction house,

Fabulous collection see link below.

https://www.olympiaauctions.com/sale...0&v=list#lot-1

best regards John
Goodness me, I've been looking at the badges on this auction site for years, well there you go... cheers John

Chris