British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-15, 01:04 PM

Default 6th South African Armoured Div SAEC slip on and titles

Strange as it sounds, I had previously got in my collection even two slip on epaulettes badged to the 1st SAEC Rgt serving under the 8th Army HQ, but no epaulette slip ons badged to the 6th SAAD SAEC: two recent acquisitions, an epaulette slip on and a blackened SAEC title on the orange (well, rather red!) tab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAEC_Slip_On_Epaulette_1.jpg (84.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SAEC_Slip_On_Epaulette_3.jpg (81.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Slip_On_SAEC.jpg (62.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-08-15, 08:06 PM

Good heavens, they are very nice indeed, I'm certainly not a WW2 collector, but, I really do regret not buying these when they were available in reasonable quantities and were not expensive whatsoever, how times have changed!
Old 05-08-15, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Good heavens, they are very nice indeed, I'm certainly not a WW2 collector, but, I really do regret not buying these when they were available in reasonable quantities and were not expensive whatsoever, how times have changed!
Frank, a couple of untitled 6th SAAD slip on epaulettes was sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £ 86.....
Old 05-08-15, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Frank 100% they are around but definately not seen like they once were!
Old 05-08-15, 04:57 PM

My point exactly, times have indeed changed, but, the 6th were just so bloody good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Frank, a couple of untitled 6th SAAD slip on epaulettes was sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £ 86.....
Old 05-08-15, 05:00 PM

Hello Brian,
I suppose it's like everything else, but, it is often the very high prices being asked (and paid!) that does it for me, thirty years ago, they could be had with ease for very little more than pennies!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Frank 100% they are around but definately not seen like they once were!
Old 07-08-15, 08:23 PM

Quote:
My point exactly, times have indeed changed, but, the 6th were just so bloody good!
Yes Frank, the 6th guys were very proud to belong to that formation. An old family friend who served with the NMR in Italy took out all his medals and bits and pieces during a visit and pushed the medals to one side and picked up his 6th SA Armd triangle flash and said "this means more to me than anything else on this table" well I think that sums it up!

The Italian campaign was no easy affair, perfect for going on the the defensive. Weather also terrible in Winter, our friend told us so many stories hence my interest in this campaign. Just wish we had recorded his tales, he had an amazing memory, it was almost like we were there when he recalled his time it Italy.

He is sadly no longer with us, I am privileged to have his medals in my collection (sadly not his patch).

Brian
Old 09-08-15, 08:02 PM

Hello Brian,
I just think that it is two differing ways of collecting, I always say to people that a given badge was there, actually being worn at the time, the campaign medals were not, but, of course, both are worth having.
I always smile when I see the numbers of "made up" SA groups, with British issued medals to replace those SA named examples missing in groups, in particular, in that well known annual sale!
Kind regards Frank
Old 13-08-15, 06:36 PM

Must say that I also have a great interest in the Italy campaign. It was fascinating and some say one of the most difficult to fight.

Many years ago I was given a bunny jacket, Tam o Shanter and web belt to a bloke in the Tvl Scottish who served in Italy. Have posted his bunny jacket with its original (as received) badges on it for interest.

This man was born in Germany, was Jewish and settled in SA and volunteered to serve with the SA Army! Have also attached some of his records for interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 SA Armd Div bunny jacket Tvl Scots 1943.jpg (77.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (80.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (104.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (79.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (64.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 31-07-18, 08:20 PM

So here we are just three years on and now the epaulettes are being faked, very sad indeed, people will have to be very careful from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 31-07-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 08:33 AM

Frank, that is sad news. Typical though, someone always has to come along and mess things up!
Old 01-08-18, 01:35 PM

A couple of weeks ago I saw two brand new and they were brand new, examples for sale in Chester and upon looking on ebay a few days ago, there they were, actually being sold as reproduction, without any titles attached.
There do not seem to be very many around yet and the seller concerned online was only listing a tiny number sold and an equally tiny number (single figures) available.
Old 03-08-18, 04:33 PM

Red face

So sad to hear, there are still enough around NOT to fake them, not that faking at anytime is acceptable.

Like all collecting these days there are those that will sadly buy these! Why oh why, is a question I have often asked myself.People seem to justify this by saying " it is just a filler until I can acquire the real deal"..... Sorry it will never happen in my collection. Rather have a gap in my badge collection than a copy.

I am however guilty of fitting a (genuine) blank medal into a group that might be missing a medal, that is only if the person was entitled to it. I do not normally collect broken groups but over 40 years have a handful of groups missing medals.

Brian
Old 04-08-18, 08:31 AM

Hi Brian, I agree. I will never take a fake badge and put it in my collection, in fact I have removed badges from my collection that I bought years ago as genuine, but later found them to be fake. They go in my "school fees" box, not back into circulation. I will also rather have nothing, then have a fake. Have a great day. Andrew