British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-19, 07:10 PM

Default The Canadian Adventure Continues...

You know the story: You buy a bulk lot because there is a piece in it you want, then you're left with a bunch of badges you know nothing about. I've admitted my ignorance of Canadian insignia in other posts, but I got this idea of trying to put together a group of 3rd Division badges and titles. Now I need your advice and comments. Identifying these badges wasn't difficult using the internet, but I don't know if there are any fakes, what is common, if any are scarce, etc. Rest assured, I will not be selling these on. (However, if anyone fancies a trade for one of those titles I need...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4879.jpg (68.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_487a.jpg (66.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_487f.jpg (72.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_487b.jpg (60.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_487e.jpg (76.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_487c.jpg (88.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 18-02-19, 01:01 AM

Hello Dob,

Your badges appear to be original, with the exception of the Royal Canadian Engineers & maybe the Royal Canadian Chaplains, which may be cast. Most of the insignia are relatively common, with the Canadian Corps of Signals badge being more desirable on the collector's market. As you are most likely aware, with so many quality reproductions flooding the market, it's difficult, if not sometimes nearly impossible to absolutely authenticate their originality. To quote the old adage, "caveat emptor"! Cheers,

Walt
Old 18-02-19, 01:26 AM

Thank you, Walt!

The engineers badge definitely looks cast (hence the close-up), but the chaplains one does not to my eye. It does, however, look very new. It had a very long pin (lying next to it in the photo), which sprang open and scratched the back when I removed it. The scratch reveals a bronze/copper material under the coating.
Old 18-02-19, 02:10 AM

Hi Dob,

If you would like to post photos of the complete obverse & reverse of the Chaplains badge, this would allow for a better assessment. Thanks,

Walt
Old 18-02-19, 04:47 AM

Here are some more shots of the chaplains badge, Walt. I really appreciate you looking, even if the news is bad. Sorry for the marginal photography...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_488c.jpg (72.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4883.jpg (68.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4885.jpg (74.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4888.jpg (51.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9226.jpg (61.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 18-02-19, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Morning Dob. Nothing that I can see in the images that are fakes. The Chaplain's badge is a good example. The RCE badge is a "dug" badge. In the 50's and 60's obsolete and surplus badges were disposed of by burying in barrels. The ground water seeped in an corroded the badges. Some enterprising individuals have "recovered" some of these and put them on the market. Being buried often leaves the appearance as seen on your RCE example.
The Canadian Signals and the Chaplain's badge are the best of the lot. The Chaud is a nice example.
The remainder are common. (You have a fair start on doing 4 Canadian Armoured Division as well.)
Old 18-02-19, 03:03 PM

Many thanks, Bill and Walt! As my cost was about $2.50 each, I guess I did alright. It's definitely fun to play in a new playground! (If it wasn't for the landmines...)