British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-19, 11:16 AM

Default 8th Gurkhas badge

I finally got my hands on an example of this silver 8th Gurkha Rifles badge with scroll and pin fastening. There is an example shown in the museum's book but it says that its "not known when or where this badge was worn" and it it's "possible that it might be a sweetheart brooch" - I'm convinced it is a badge worn by the Regt - the pin fastening is very "stout" - but more to the point there is an example next to it of a similar badge post 1947 to the 8th Gorkha Rifles ( note the different spelling) and this is clearly a badge with 4 lugs. So my guess is that it had a specific user in the Regiment which has been carried onto this day with the present Regiment. Whether it's for a warrant officer , pipe major, or servant ( unlikely given it's silver) - but if anyone has any ideas then please let me know. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6255.jpg (114.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6256.jpg (118.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 18-02-19, 11:50 AM

Tim,

I note on the earlier example that the pin is upside down, which is unusual for any military badge because it comes undone the badge would slip off.

Does this give you any clues as to the item of clothing it may have worn on?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 18-02-19, 12:09 PM

Hi Simon - I pondered on that then realised it's almost certainly done for atheistic reasons - the bottom of the pin fixing would be visible if it was reversed and placed on the "8" - where as the clasp is neatly hidden. It's exactly the same on the one another forum member showed some months ago. Tim
Old 18-02-19, 01:18 PM

Tim,

I see your point but it would have been just as easy to place it the right way up with the hinge between the top of the crossed kukris.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges