British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-15, 10:22 PM

Default Never seen this before.

Hi all,
Metal detecting out here in Australia, we found a couple of buttons. Carry cipher of Edward VII with words Australian Commonwealth. Maker is Gaunt & Sons, London. 15mm diameter. All pretty straighforward so far, right? The thing that puzzles me is the brass screw mounted to the rear. Professional job, not home made. Screw is about 15mm long and about 3 mm thick. The screw fitting must go through something and would have been held by a nut or such on the end. It's far too long to have been made to mount onto any part of a uniform or headgear. I'm wondering if they might have been some official locking or sealing device on a box or bag/satchel. Military gear we find out here is usually marked Australian Commonwealth Forces. This is missing the word 'Forces' , so might they relate to the civilan newly formed Federal Government of the time.? Any hints would be hugely appreciated.
Many thanks
Wal
ex- 1st RTR
Old 05-04-15, 10:33 PM

Default abject apologies!

Got some good info back about an earlier find, but I've been in hospital and out of contact with the world. So thanks to the following members and my apologies for not replying sooner.

MANCHESTER
NORFOLK REGT MAN
NEMO
DAVIDWYKE
LANCER17
BADGER123

Many thanks to you all
Wal
ex- 1st RTR
Old 06-04-15, 12:00 AM

Hi Wal,

Buttons with a 'screw post' fitting are usually for Officer's Shoulder boards.

A modern version is shown in this eBay advert, which shows the button screwed into the fixing attachment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POW-Prince...item339bcdab1b

Cheers

Ian
Old 06-04-15, 12:25 AM

Hi Wal

As Ian says, screw posts on buttons are almost always for screwing down Officers shoulder boards/cords.

Australian military buttons of the Edward VII period (and up to c.19l4) do only have the "Australian Commonwealth" title, it changed to "Australian Military Forces" after 1914. I've seen many of them but can't recall ever seeing one with a Gaunt backmark, they are usually Australian-made (normally Stokes, Melbourne).

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 06-04-15 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-04-15, 10:57 PM

Many thanks, Ian and David. Cleared that one up quick. Of all information sharing forums, from fields as diverse as metal detecting and farming, this one shows the deepest level of expertise and speedy reply I've found. A credit to the members. Many thanks
Wal