British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-01-17, 10:20 AM

Smile Northumberland Fusiliers soldier's field service cap badge 1895-1902

Hi all,

After a kind tip off from Super Moderater Alan I picked up this Northumberland Fusiliers soldier's field service cap badge 1895-1902. In GM with lugs and left facing St George, 40x25mm. I already had its mate so it would
make a collar pair but I like it as Col. Wood's #159 for the FSC.

Thanks again Alan, cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 13-01-17, 10:21 AM

Reverse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 13-01-17, 10:22 AM

Pair of collars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 13-01-17, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Pair of collars
Hello Deane,

Thanks, intriguing . . . I've not seen this design g/m collars in the 'vertical'. Can you show a picture of the backs, please. With the w/m (volunteers) versions the only discernible difference between cap and collars is that the collars have the lower lug in the centre of the grenade and the cap version have the lug at the bottom of the grenade. Can you find a Wood reference for these collars?

Regards - Lawrence
Old 14-01-17, 03:12 AM

Hi Lawrence,

Hoped you would see these. I can find no reference to them in Wood's book (on loan from you good self but terribly overdue sorry) as collars only the FSC is described but I made the assumption that the FSC badge was from a collar and matched it up with its vertical mate.

Intriguing that they were not described by Wood. Churchill jumps from plain brass grenade collars to a horizontal St George adopted in 1895 and worn until 1939. There is a little text about the need for a different FSC and collar badges but no examples shown.

So I may have stumbled on a non-documented pair of collars and FSC badge.

Cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 14-01-17, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi Lawrence,

Hoped you would see these. I can find no reference to them in Wood's book (on loan from you good self but terribly overdue sorry) as collars only the FSC is described but I made the assumption that the FSC badge was from a collar and matched it up with its vertical mate.

Intriguing that they were not described by Wood. Churchill jumps from plain brass grenade collars to a horizontal St George adopted in 1895 and worn until 1939. There is a little text about the need for a different FSC and collar badges but no examples shown.

So I may have stumbled on a non-documented pair of collars and FSC badge.

Cheers Dean
In all my life of collecting to the NF - I like Denis Wood have never ever seen a pair of verticle collar badges worn by the other ranks and to be perfectly honest I cannot think of any particular mode of dress they could even be worn with - certainly not scarlet. The one facing to the left has me particularly worried in its design.
Old 15-01-17, 04:51 AM

Nothing like a first-time mystery in this hobby thanks Graham. The matching collar was on a trophy belt with Boer War and Great War badges and so I was comfortable with it being a period badge.

Will not through it out, been through Wood's and Churchill's books again but no joy.

I was hoping a NF collector like yourself or Lawrence might set me right, cheers Dean.

Tags
fsc, northumberland fusiliers