British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-15, 04:57 PM

Default 17th KLR (1st City Battalion) Pals

Good Evening,
This card was sent one hundred years ago today. It shows five NCO's of the 17th Battalion KLR, one of whom is wearing a drummers badge. Perhaps they are all band members? When I bought this card I didn't know it had a message on the reverse, or that it had been posted on the 2nd November 1915, which means those pictured are original Pals. The message, although it seems run of the mill, tells of the imminent departure of the 17th who landed in France five days after the card was posted, on the 7th of November. That's one hundred and one days ago this remembrance Sunday.

My Great uncle enlisted in the 17th later on during the war before moving to the 20th Battalion and then the ASC having been twice wounded.

Hope you enjoy the postcard. Maybe we should post photo's of are relatives from the wars?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pals 1a.pdf (183.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: pdf Pals 2.pdf (173.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-11-15, 01:27 PM

My great Uncle William John Baum formally of the 17th & 20th Battalions KLR, seen here as a Driver in the ASC. Having suffered GSW to both arms he was no longer fit for the infantry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Great Uncle.pdf (134.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by billy4294; 07-11-15 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling