British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-18, 02:40 PM

Default 305 Para Signal Drop Zone Flash

A flash identified as being worn by the 305 Parachute Signal Squadron in the 1960's... Measures roughly 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"

thanks
Jack
Old 29-11-18, 12:05 AM

I'm pretty certain that's one of the copies that were being sold in Aldershot in the 1980's. I attach some photos of genuine 305 DZ flashes from my collection.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2384.jpg (20.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2385.jpg (37.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 29-11-18, 12:56 AM

Ian, thanks for the input. Was unsure myself
Jack
Old 29-11-18, 10:01 AM

Spotted a similar one on eBay from a Canadian seller, along with some others .....was tempted but the stitching put me off, and as there were other DZ flashes that looked wrong I decided not to risk it.
But I'm no expert and it was my gut feeling rather than any prior knowledge.
Hope it turns out to be ok
Regards
Sean
Old 09-12-18, 05:49 PM

The shop in Aldershot, well known to squaddies during the 80s was called Du Bora. Trainee paras were recommended to go either there or to a tailors nearby to buy "small crown berets" as opposed to the issue "one wing Dakotas". The description says it all really.
On Airborne Forces Day every year thousands of ex-paras would descend on Aldershot. Non airborne units were confined to barracks, daughters were locked up, pubs were duly drunk dry and many tall tales, and some true, were told.
The Airborne Forces Museum gratefully received items from people and the opportunity was taken by visitors to buy thousands of items from the PRI shop and from shops such as Du Boras or Tenniswoods. I believe both of these shops followed the airborne brigade to Colchester, as did the Dakota under which thousands of Paras had had their course photos taken.
Unfortunately the Airborne Forces Museum ended up inside some dammed RAF museum, who stuck it in the corner of a hangar somewhere and then charged ex Paras who wanted to visit or show their family a bit of regimental history about 30 Quid per person to visit. Since my initial visit to Duxford, with a serving Para officer, which went unrecognised by the staff on the gate even though he was in full uniform, I have avoided the place.
Somewhere I have some du Bora specials picked up over the years. I,ll try to add some photos showing their construction (& errors).

Ian H
Old 09-12-18, 06:14 PM

Thanks for that information. So the sign I had posted was souvenir piece of sorts.
Jack