British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-11-18, 10:10 AM

Default Advice about what Tank Corps badges are needed

Morning All,

I’m after a bit of help. I do talks around local schools about Remembrance which end with the kids trying on various pieces of uniform. I’ve made up a naval uniform to represent a relative who was an RN Stoker and another jacket to represent a relative who was an officer in the East Lancs. Now I’d like to set up a jacket of some description to represent another relative who served with the tanks during WW1 but I’m not sure what I need.

He served with the RFA for 10 years pre war and then re-enlisted in 1915 also joining the RFA. In August 1917 he was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps (Heavy Branch) and then sent to the Tank Depot as a Corporal Instructor. He seems to have then served in France for just over 1 month before going back to Bovington.

I know he completed a tank driving course, signalling course and machine gun course and then in July 1918 he was recommended for a commission in the Tank Corps and started officer training. After that his record gets a bit confused as it says he was demob’d in Feb 1919 but commissioned as a 2Lt in Mar 1919.

I have been given a replica tank mask so definitely want to incorporate that into the uniform. I don’t want to spend a fortune as the kids get a bit excited once they start trying things on and things can get damaged or stood on so for the officer I’ve already done I got a modern officers No 2 dress jacket and put the relevant badges on it. I’m thinking of doing the same for this relative but my questions are:

Would he have worn a tank corps officers uniform ?
If not, does anyone know a cheap way to make a WW1 OR’s jacket?
What badges would he have worn?

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Old 22-11-18, 09:34 AM

He can't have transferred to the MGC(H) in August 1917, as by then it was already the Tank Corps. Commissioned into the Tank Corps directly? Then a Tank Corps uniform with Tank Corps badges. There are more than enough repros about.
Old 22-11-18, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the help, I don't really know anything about the Tank Corps, I was just going off his service record (attached).

So if I do a Tank Corps officers uniform I presume I need collar dogs, what is the arm badge I keep seeing mentioned would I need one of those and if so which arm does it go one?

Would he have worn the MG trade badge or a signals one or was there one for the driving course?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transfer.jpg (32.4 KB, 15 views)