British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-10-18, 12:01 AM

Default 106th Winnipeg Light Infantry-Opposite facing cap badge

For your consideration and comments, please.

Enclosed are images of what I believe to be a cap badge due to it's size (38 mm high X 37 mm wide) for the 106th Winnipeg Light Infantry. However, Mazeas reference MM.278 and MM.279 show the bell of the bugle horn in the opposite position. I have collars than are considerably smaller that this badge. When this badge is laid on the images in Mazeas' reference, it conforms to the same dimensions as the illustrated cap badges (though with opposite orientation of the bell). When laid on the collars, it is noticeably larger.

My question is, is this an omission to Mazeas' generally thorough illustration of Canadian badges of the pre-1920 period, or something else? So is this a cap badge (not referenced) or a greatly over-sized collar badge?

Thank you.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onr.jpg (64.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ons.jpg (41.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Terra Nova; 16-10-18 at 12:26 AM.
Old 29-10-18, 08:17 AM

Default Wrong pew?

Have I put this item in the incorrect category? It would be passing strange if the very knowledgeable persons in this Forum were stumped by the question. (i.e 40 views and no response)

Kindly advise the better category, if one, where I should re-post. Thank you.

Kindest regards to all,

Tim
Old 29-10-18, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Tim, while Mazeas is the first and only comprehensive reference for pre-1914 insignia, it is not without errors and omissions.
Having said that, another reference (Tascona's The Militia of Manitoba) contains two photos showing the 106th badge with the mouthpiece oriented to the left as viewed. The collar badges of the 106th are quite large and could be taken as a cap badge.
Comparing your badge to the conventional representations (eg all the other militia regiments that used the horn as a device) the mouth is oriented to the right. It would appear you have a badge that has the correct representation. But, it is likely a collar.
Old 29-10-18, 01:52 PM

Hi Bill,

Delighted to hear from you and thank you for putting your oar in the water. We are 5 by 5 on Mazeas' reference, with all due respect

Enclosed are another few images. The badge from the original post is at the top. To left and right below are what I believe to be collars. If I understand you correctly, the top badge, in your assessment is also a collar. That said, do we know of a matching, in the same size, opposite collar to it? If so, that would mean that the correct set for the upper badge (1) is the same in reverse (2) to make the collar pair; and another of number 2 to be used as a cap, unless there is an even larger cap badge. Is that right?

I don't have Mr. Tascona's book. Is it permissible to send me a copy of the page (s) to which you refer? I don't think that a short extract (with accreditation) infringes on copyright.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

best regards,

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 106a.jpg (55.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 106b.jpg (54.7 KB, 9 views)