British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-10-15, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Jack,

Do you have a good image of the Timings mark and slider of your badge that you can post here.

I never came across any Timings marked SWB badges when I researched my book and would like to check the slider design and also the Timings mark used.

As Mike said, the Dowler badge is the one in the IWM and if I remember I actually handled this pattern when I was given access to all their A/A master and sealed patterns a few years ago.

Beware, I believe the blank slider versions are Gaunt pieces made for a dealer in the 1980's which, in my opinion, are nothing more than cynical 'knock offs'. There is also a dodgy Timings mark out there and I would not be surprised if blank slider badges had been over stamped with this mark. However, such an action is relatively easy to identify if you know what you are looking for.

Regards,

Chris
Hi Chris,

I thought you had already given the mark and slider the OK in this thread?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...nodised&page=3

I can however post more pics later.

Jack
Old 22-10-15, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
Are you saying the Timings marked SWB crops up every few months or a/a SWB badges generally, as I was specifically referring to the Timings badge?

Jack
Sorry Jack,SWB in general
Old 22-10-15, 10:56 AM

Hi Chris,

Here are some more photographs of the mark and slider, hope they are sufficient.

Jack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7254.jpg (100.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7293.jpg (108.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 23-10-15, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Here are some more photographs of the mark and slider, hope they are sufficient.

Jack.
Hi Jack,

To tell you the truth I don't like the look of this maker mark or the slider at all.

The Timings marks that I have seen have flat bottomed 'G's in 'TIMINGS' while this 'G' looks like it has a round bottom and also a poorly defined 'Hook' part to the letter 'G' itself.

The slider also looks like one from the London Badge and Button Co. Ltd. and not a Timings one.

Members who have a copy of my book will be able to see where I am coming from in my point above.

Maybe I missed this slider/mark/combination of slider and mark but personally I would treat this badge with caution.

Regards

Chris
Old 23-10-15, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Jack,

To tell you the truth I don't like the look of this maker mark or the slider at all.

The Timings marks that I have seen have flat bottomed 'G's in 'TIMINGS' while this 'G' looks like it has a round bottom and also a poorly defined 'Hook' part to the letter 'G' itself.

The slider also looks like one from the London Badge and Button Co. Ltd. and not a Timings one.

Members who have a copy of my book will be able to see where I am coming from in my point above.

Maybe I missed this slider/mark/combination of slider and mark but personally I would treat this badge with caution.

Regards

Chris
Hi Chris,

Having looked at a few other Timings badges that I have I can see what you mean. I appreciate that generally there are fakes but also that there are variations.

I have had this SWB Timings badge for about twenty years and cannot remember seeing another one, other than the recent ebay one for sale during that period. Perhaps other forum members would comment on whether they had seen any.

I would have thought they would be for sale regularly on ebay if they were being faked and also appearing on dealers lists if more common. It will be interesting to see if any more appear for sale on ebay, after the last one having eight bidders and achieving over £100.

Thanks for your input Chris, I am keeping an open mind on this one.

Jack.
Old 23-10-15, 10:43 PM

It would be interesting to put the SWB mark up against the Suffolk or E. Yorkshire with the Timings mark. See whether they're similar and possibly from the same stable.
Old 24-10-15, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
It would be interesting to put the SWB mark up against the Suffolk or E. Yorkshire with the Timings mark. See whether they're similar and possibly from the same stable.
I don't have these badges but if someone could compare them to the pictures of the mark then that would be good.

At present I am aware of only two examples of the SWB badge with the Timings mark; the one I have and the recent eBay one, hardly fakers statistics.

I would like to appeal to the forum membership for information regarding the SWB Timings marked badge. If you have one please could you let myself or the forum know and if you see any for sale anywhere from now on please could you do the same.

Thanks in advance,
Jack.
Old 16-09-17, 08:49 PM

Hi Gents,

One more to add to this group.

I just added an a/a to my RWAFF collection with this makers mark..

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 03-05-18, 01:22 PM

Default HEREFORD LIGHT INFANTRY

My example of Timmings mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg here li.JPG (110.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg her li back.jpg (36.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-05-18, 07:51 PM

That is a superb camera that you must have!

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Jack.