British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-20, 05:15 PM

Default Pegasus opinion

Hi Team

Can I have opinions on this peggie.

My checklist for WWII Peggie has to be paste back and the tip of the spear should have a concave tip (Harpoon look)and not a triangle.

Also the embroidered reverse has similar traits to The Hampshire Regt (short lived 1945-46) and The Staffordshire is late 40's early 50's with paste back.

Also could the peggie be a private purchase during the war?

cheers
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51265.jpg (47.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 51265a.jpg (51.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171029_0004.jpg (60.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Phill Lockett; 16-03-20 at 06:15 PM.
Old 16-03-20, 09:04 PM

It is an original badge Phil, and likely of wartime period production.
Old 17-03-20, 05:25 AM

Thanks Luc

Can you point out what makes this type of Peggie WWII era?

The reasons being it isn't paste backed and the spear is not typical of WWII era is what I have read and have been told.

There other "technicalities" with the embroidery that might not match WWII era.

As usual I checked Arnhem Jim's site for more details on legit and repro differences.

We can see the linked thread and it has that WWII era look.

I used the cloth titles as examples of post WWII , The Hampshire Regt would be a typical WWII era manufactured but its late 45-46 period and staffordshire paste backed but 1950's.

Could it be Post WWII, made in a similar style of WWII era for legitimate reasons.

If WWII, would you classify this as a private purchase ?

You also mentioned "likely wartime production?" Sounds like it might or might not be.

I do not believe this is a fake piece , more interested in determining WWII era or Post WWII.

cheers

Phill
Old 18-03-20, 12:37 PM

It is almost impossible to put a date on a Pegasus badge. For me, the example you show tics al the boxes of a high quality wartime private purchase piece. It could be post war I suppose but I don't think it would be a typical example.
Old 18-03-20, 05:14 PM

Thanks Luc

Appreciate your reply,I would of assumed others would of chimed in to confirm for or against.

I did check Oliver Locks book British Airborne Insignia, it has one with similar traits, although it has paste back on the cloth backing and has more detail.

They are both very close.

I am assuming that WWII Private purchase could cover many different slight tailored variations and this could be one of them.

Thanks again for your input, always valued and appreciated.

Phill
Old 18-03-20, 06:00 PM

Default This is Frank, a novice collector from The Netherlands

Dear forum members and experts,

Phill has been so kind as to help me with this Pegasus patch that I bought. I received it today. I have made some better pictures of it which I will add to this post.

My name is Frank and I have been dealing with WW2 for some 20 years now. First collecting stories for my website www.normandy1944.info (made back in 2000) so yeah it need a new work over. I met quite a few veterans over the years. Among them Colin Reynolds, Arthur Letchford and Lew Kemp. British paratroopers. I would like to collect for every veteran I met some small items. But they have to be legit and genuine from that period. The dream is a tiny museum one day.

Phill has be patient and very kind to help in explaining the things I should look out for when determine patches on their authenticity. So a very big thank to him! It is very valued and ever more appreciated.

I ma hoping that these picture will help you help me determine if this is a WW2 era patch.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise and your willingness to help a starting collector!

Sincerely,

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peggie01.jpg (96.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Peggie02.jpg (75.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Peggie03.jpg (116.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Peggie04.jpg (117.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Peggie05.jpg (71.3 KB, 18 views)