British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-08-16, 05:52 PM

Default WWII SD Peak Cap Royal Scots Greys

Maybe it would be of interest for some members of this forum to have a look at this WWII SD Peak Cap of the Royal Scots Greys. Unfortunatly the cap badge is missing but I hope to be able to complete the hat with an officer cap badge in a near futur.
You can notice the black piping all around the hat's crown. It was adopted, like the black backing for the cap badge, after the WWI to mourn the death of the Colonel in Chief of the Regiment the Czar Nicolas II who was murdered with his family on the 17 July 1918 by the Soviets. The peak cap maker was Herbert Johnson London. J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160523_182032.jpg (49.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160523_182050.jpg (46.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160523_182104.jpg (30.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SD hat RSG 7.jpg (38.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-08-16, 06:35 PM

A very fine cap. What is the wording of the royal appointment? Is it to the late King George V and the Prince of Wales with dates?

I also have one of these that came to me with its badge missing, which I replaced with a S&G example as I think that is correct. My example is also by Herbert Johnson but is a later example as the royal warrant is hatter to the Queen. Mine is probably mid to late 50's going by the other features of the cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg royal scots greys sd cap small version.jpg (34.3 KB, 33 views)

Jerry
Old 06-08-16, 07:37 AM

Hello Jerry,

Thanks for showing your RSG SD peak cap.

The wording of the Royal Appointement under the Royal Arms is "By Appointment to the late King George V" and under the Prince of Wales feather "1922-1936". This wording was permitted by the Department of His Majesty's Privy Purse only to authorized Tradesmen and a list was published each year. This wording was used by Herbert Johnson until the end of the 2WW. After the war Herbert Johnson was granted the right to use the wording with George VI.

You have put a nice officer cap badge on the cap. I hope to be able to get one like that or a brown chocolat pattern but I realy dont know which one was worn during WW2? J-F
Old 06-08-16, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

This wording was permitted by the Department of His Majesty's Privy Purse only to authorized Tradesmen and a list was published each year. This wording was used by Herbert Johnson until the end of the 2WW. After the war Herbert Johnson was granted the right to use the wording with George VI.
Thanks for this info, I always thought they introduced the to King George VI shortly after his coronation and did not keep the other version until after WWII.

Jerry
Old 07-09-16, 10:39 PM

This is a postwar Scots Greys service dress cap, to a colonel, or brigadier.
It has the black crown piping unique to this regiment, and retains the gilt side buttons, surmounted by a thistle.

BobS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020022 (1).jpg (39.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-09-16, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS49 View Post
This is a postwar Scots Greys service dress cap, to a colonel, or brigadier.
It has the black crown piping unique to this regiment, and retains the gilt side buttons, surmounted by a thistle.

BobS
Nice Bob and welcome here.

Jerry
Old 10-09-16, 09:22 AM

Default nice

Nice hat and good to learn something, I never knew about the black piping.

Mac