British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-11, 11:59 PM
Banned

Default TF Bns. post 1908

Many threads on the Forum seem to ask the same old questions about Territorial Force Bns., and there relationship to regular bns. Perhaps it is well to remember that regular bns. occupied 1st and 2nd status with Militia bns. following - 3rd, sometimes 3rd and 4th. Territorial force bns. followed on - T4, T5, T6, T7, T8 and so on. WW1 produced further bns. - T9 and onwards. The collector should, I suggest, develop a clear understanding of the general format of Infantry regiments - regulars, militia, territorial and so on. Perrhaps newer Forum members might find this formula of use. David
Old 18-09-11, 12:15 AM

Default badges ?

Has this anything to do with badges ?
Old 18-09-11, 12:21 AM

Bill,
I think it has to do with badges due to the quantity of questions about titles.
I think understanding the structure helps understand some badges.

Eddie
Old 18-09-11, 12:23 AM
Banned

Bill - I rather suspect that it does as regular, militia and territorial force badges within the same line infantry regiment are different - but are rarely co-related by many who collect. Combinations of metals, different designs and obscure Irish/Scottish connections often come into play - factors not always understood or appreciated by those who post questions on the Forum. I offer the fundemental information as education - worthy, in my view, of further research, perhaps before asking questions. Research is everything - or do I mean self-education ? David
Old 18-09-11, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Bill,
I think it has to do with badges due to the quantity of questions about titles.
I think understanding the structure helps understand some badges.

Eddie
Thank you, Eddie - I believe you have hit the nail firmly on the head ! David
Old 18-09-11, 12:29 AM
Banned

It has everything to do with badges in my opinion.

Good, useful information that may be of benefit to the unititiated is always welcome.

Nice to see something positive this evening, to make up for the continued picking away at old wounds that most of us have had enough of by now.

Let's not forget that there is more to be had from the forum than just being able to spot a bad badge, important as that is.

Regards to ALL.

Ry
Old 18-09-11, 12:35 AM
Banned

Ry - My original post was an attempt to stop the continual, repetitive, almost eternal questions about the same - the very same - thing. I doubt it will. Regards. David
Old 18-09-11, 12:46 AM

Default 3rd & 4th battalions

What about regiments that had 4 regular battalions at the time of the Boer War.

The Royal Fusiliers, The Royal Warwicks and The Lancashire Fusiliers had four regular battalions at that time.

I think you'll find that they were used as Mounted Infantry battalions. These were Regular battalions that had nothing to do with being militia or reserve battalions.

The mounted infantry was the elite of the British Army at that time and were very skilled and highly trained to combat the Boer commando's.

I get a bit peeved at modern day amateur historians dismissing these elite battalions as militia / reserve units. They should be given the respect and remembrance that they deserve.
Old 18-09-11, 01:17 AM

Bill,

Your question in post2 was " Has this anything to do with badges ? "
And my answer was, and is still, yes it has!
I am not arguing about other situations, but most of the Title questions relate to post 1908, therfore the information may well help some members.
I agree with Ry.when he says "Nice to see something positive this evening".

Eddie
Old 18-09-11, 02:48 AM

Default Northumberland Fusiliers Territorial Bns.

Thanks. David, that's useful information.

Denis Wood's 'The Fifth Fusiliers And Its Badges' lists composite (T/number/grenade/NF) shoulder titles only for the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th territorial Bns. There was also an 8th NF territorial Bn formed in 1908 which shortly after became the Northern Cyclists, but Col. Wood doesn't list a shoulder title for them.

Hope this ain't a dumb question, but were there T8/Grenade/NF shoulder titles worn during this Bn's short existence?

Reason for my question, intellectual curiousity, of course, but also because I took a punt and bought one on Ebay (the all-joined-together variety). It looks genuine . . . but dunno . . . hope it is!
Old 18-09-11, 08:06 AM

Default 'T' = post 1908

My point is that any discussion about 3rd & 4th battalions must stress that prior to the reforms of 1908 these could be regular battalions.

These battalions are quite seperate from (w/m badged) Volunteer battalions or later, post 1908 militia battalions.

This difference should be pointed out at every opportunity because these 3rd & 4th regular battalions are being forgotten.

Which is unacceptable. (I find it unacceptable that any British or Commonwealth soldier be forgotten)

Last edited by BILL DUGGAN; 18-09-11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 18-09-11, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL DUGGAN View Post
My point is that any discussion about 3rd & 4th battalions must stress that prior to the reforms of 1908 these could be regular battalions.

These battalions are quite seperate from (w/m badged) Volunteer battalions or later, post 1908 militia battalions.

This difference should be pointed out at every oppertunity because these 3rd & 4th regular battalions are being forgotten.

Which is unacceptable. (I find it unacceptable that any British or Commonwealth soldier be forgotten)
Bill
several regiment had 3rd and 4th Battalions which were regular at the outbraeak of the great war (Royal Fusiliers, Middlesex Regiment, KRRC and Rifle Brigade spring to mind -there may be others)
Paul L
Old 18-09-11, 09:40 AM

Default at outbreak of WW1

I'm not denying that.

I just wish people would remember all the regular battalions that were disbanded just prior to 1908.

This is my last reply on this thread.
Old 18-09-11, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL DUGGAN View Post
I'm not denying that.

I just wish people would remember all the regular battalions that were disbanded just prior to 1908.

This is my last reply on this thread.
Bill - You are absolutely right, of course, the point you make is highly valid to the thread and, perhaps, I should have mentioned it myself at the outset. Thanks for the clarifications. Regards. David
Old 18-09-11, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee45 View Post
Thanks. David, that's useful information.

Denis Wood's 'The Fifth Fusiliers And Its Badges' lists composite (T/number/grenade/NF) shoulder titles only for the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th territorial Bns. There was also an 8th NF territorial Bn formed in 1908 which shortly after became the Northern Cyclists, but Col. Wood doesn't list a shoulder title for them.

Hope this ain't a dumb question, but were there T8/Grenade/NF shoulder titles worn during this Bn's short existence?

Reason for my question, intellectual curiousity, of course, but also because I took a punt and bought one on Ebay (the all-joined-together variety). It looks genuine . . . but dunno . . . hope it is!
Lawrence - I have one too ! Although recorded nowhere that I can find, I still believe that it may well have existed if only for a brief period. I can't substantiate that other than, like you, actually having one that looks fine Regards. David