British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-09-14, 11:23 PM

Default Why we collect

Hi guys

Recently I've been putting some thought into where I want to take my badge collecting, what I want to narrow in on, what I'm trying to achieve, etc.,
and, in order to reassess my collecting, it got me thinking (I do that sometimes!) why did I start collecting cap badges in the first place?

The answer was that I have a great interest in History, and, for some reason, I've always been interested in the Great War. As with other historical subjects and periods, when studying them, I find I want and need to "concretize" what I'm reading, and actually holding historical artefacts helps me transcend the written word, and makes what I'm reading, and the given period "real", if that makes sense.
Hence my collection of Roman arrowheads, crossbow arrows, fossils (I'm an evolutionist ), swords, etc.

Cap badges of WW1 made perfect sense to me, both as a concrete artefact, and doubly, as a symbolic reference (remembrance) to the men that fought and their sacrifice. In joining the Forum, I've realised there is so much more to this hobby, though. I find myself interested in design, variations, in short - the badges themselves, not just what they represent. And I love the scholarly aspect to collecting.

That said, I'd be very interested to learn why other members collect cap badges, their motives, their drives

Why do we collect?

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 30-09-14, 11:45 PM

Hi Colin,

Thank you for starting this thread and also for sharing your thoughts, many of which I know most of us will relate to on one aspect or another.

I know for myself the interest (like you say) was always based in some historical context and in an effort to 'connect' with the past. However as much as that is still very true, I now find myself viewing the badges as items in their own right, the concept, design and ultimate rendition of the finished product, its method of construction, material, quality etc. In viewing these items not just through an historic lens but as miniature works of art. For me this elevates each badge and makes them so much more than mere insignia alone. Hence my reason for framing my favorites up and adorning my office wall.

All that being said though and as an amateur historian one just can't escape the historical perspective. My resent exploits have taken me into more 'colonial' areas of collecting and as a result have opened my eyes to areas of this study that I have hitherto never explored. This in itself has revitalized much of my interests and appreciation for these wonderful items.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 01-10-14, 07:25 AM

To put it concisely, I have a nostalgia for the period, armies and uniforms of the bygone days of the Victorian and WW1 eras. As it is impossible to actually go back in time I relocate with this nostalgia by having in my possession and holding in my hand tangible evidence. As I cannot ever hope to have actual uniforms I am content to collect the badges and accoutrements that once adorned these uniforms, thereby forming a link with the past. To me, it is not only satisfying to read about past regiments and battles, but more so, to hold an actual memento that takes one back in time.

GTB
Old 01-10-14, 11:16 AM

I thought it was because we all have some mental health issues with OCD and the like though not as bad as those hoarders on that TV show
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 01-10-14, 12:04 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

As an ex-army brat and (at the time) living in some "exotic" places abroad and wondering why there were so many soldiers around that had different badges of one sort or another on their uniforms (this was the early 1950's). However, it all really started when I asked various soldiers that I met, had different battle honours on their badges and some with wreaths/symbols etc; why did the RA only have the UBIQUE motto and why a soldier from one of the Scottish regiments was wearing trews and not a kilt. From there, you can guess the rest.
Very good question by the way.
David
Old 01-10-14, 12:24 PM

Great question Colin.

Another army brat here.

At the time i got into collecting, Dad was a S/Sgt instructor on Stalwarts & Ferrets at the Army School of Mechanical Transport in Bordon/Leconfield. He had an aussie corps of transport gent on a course and they'd exchanged badges. I'd taken an interest to it as it was exotic & shiny & army (I was army barmy - naturally).

The old man then instigated a new course pass criteria - a cap badge for his lad :-) My Pride & joy was my collection which matched the recruitment poster of the 70s - "All the signs of a good career" which I'd mounted on an MFO box lid covered in felt.

Older family members who had served in BOER war/WW1/WW2 who learnt of my interest soon reeled me with their tales, badges & medals.

Now on my third collection for various "domestic reasons".

cheers,

Andy C
Old 01-10-14, 12:56 PM

Default Why does anybody collect anything?

Colin and all.

What I like to say to people that ask me about my badge collecting is that, like any hobby, they "speak" to me. It's our passion for a certain interest. And, I think that applies to anyone who collects whatever, be it stamps, coins, art or even cars. It started wa-a-ay back when my Grannie came from Toronto to live with us in Halifax. She gave me my grandfather's hat badges from WWI, and that was the start. So I've been at it now for over forty years and, God willing, I'll be at it for another forty.

To be honest, part of it for me is to be able to say "Look what I've got!!" But, only just a little. It's more to show, when I display at local badge shows, that military forces are not a monolithic, faceless, mindless mob. That there is a wealth of variety, colour and design that soldiers have. It's these little bits of cloth and metal that are part and parcel of unit pride and esprit-de-corps. When I collect and display, that's what I want to show. And, for anyone that wants to study it, you can tell a soldier's whole story, if you know what all his badges and ribbons mean.

Finally, I'd like to finish with this observation -- that there probably as many reasons as to why we collect militaria as there are fellows that collect.

Cheers,

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 01-10-14, 01:02 PM

Hello Colin,
That's a very good question, I asked myself that many times over the last few years and failed to come up with an answer, maybe I should just stop and save some money, but, them what would I spend it on?
I'd just carry on if I were you, as long as you are happy!
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Hi guys

Recently I've been putting some thought into where I want to take my badge collecting, what I want to narrow in on, what I'm trying to achieve, etc.,
and, in order to reassess my collecting, it got me thinking (I do that sometimes!) why did I start collecting cap badges in the first place?

The answer was that I have a great interest in History, and, for some reason, I've always been interested in the Great War. As with other historical subjects and periods, when studying them, I find I want and need to "concretize" what I'm reading, and actually holding historical artefacts helps me transcend the written word, and makes what I'm reading, and the given period "real", if that makes sense.
Hence my collection of Roman arrowheads, crossbow arrows, fossils (I'm an evolutionist ), swords, etc.

Cap badges of WW1 made perfect sense to me, both as a concrete artefact, and doubly, as a symbolic reference (remembrance) to the men that fought and their sacrifice. In joining the Forum, I've realised there is so much more to this hobby, though. I find myself interested in design, variations, in short - the badges themselves, not just what they represent. And I love the scholarly aspect to collecting.

That said, I'd be very interested to learn why other members collect cap badges, their motives, their drives

Why do we collect?

Cheers

Colin
Old 01-10-14, 01:42 PM

Once upon a time a long time ago. A young boy at the tender age of 12, he joined his local army cadet corps. During the summer this boy would attend a summer camp where he learns the fine skill of trading and bartering of shoulder flashes and cap badges. He would read books and watch documentaries on anything about war; he would even read training manuals. As this young boy grew into manhood he would join the reserves and then the regular army, where he learns about good booze and bad women, and the collecting of badges, where left behind in his childhood. Over the years of badges got lost. As his man grew older and age took its toll, this once young boy, could no long work. He returned to his home town, and one day while visiting his mother. She gave him an old box that she had found in a closet. Inside this box was things from his past, a few old hockey and baseball cards, an old ceramic penny bank, which still held a few coins, and a couple of toy cars. But in the bottom of this box, was a smaller wooden box. This contained the greatest treasure of all. An airborne cap badge and some jump wings that his late friend’s wife had given him ( rest in peace buddy), an infantry corps cap badge the type that his father had worn in the second world war, a king’s crown artillery cap badge that he had worn as a cadet in the 70’s,an OD name tag, a svc. bn., LORE, and EME slip ons , all of which he had worn. A few months pass, and he visits a sister, and she takes him to a flea market where he spies an armored corps, an RCD, and army cadet cap badges a type he never saw before, so for a mere $20.00, a collection was restarted. As cap badges are bought some research is done, and history is learns. And that my friend is how what my daughter calls my addiction got started all over again. And what a wonderful addiction it is.
Old 01-10-14, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
To put it concisely, I have a nostalgia for the period, armies and uniforms of the bygone days of the Victorian and WW1 eras. As it is impossible to actually go back in time I relocate with this nostalgia by having in my possession and holding in my hand tangible evidence. As I cannot ever hope to have actual uniforms I am content to collect the badges and accoutrements that once adorned these uniforms, thereby forming a link with the past. To me, it is not only satisfying to read about past regiments and battles, but more so, to hold an actual memento that takes one back in time.

GTB
Yes, what he said, but for the 20th century.
Old 01-10-14, 04:48 PM

Why I collect stems from family connections. My grandfather had been in the Army during WW2, and a distant cousin a Flight Engineer on Lancasters and Sterlings in the RAF. When I was about eight or nine or thereabouts, my grandfather who had served in the 7th Indian Division of the 14th Army in India and Burma gave me a spare set of his badges. His other set was in a frame on the wall, along with his medals. My grandad never liked talking too much about his war, what he saw and did (he was RA, then R.Sigs). Some of these badges got traded or given to a friend so that when we played war games we had them sewn onto our jerseys. That got me looking for other badges, which at that time (1960s) could be had for pennies. I had a modest collection, built up from pocket money and what one generous member of the Military Heraldry Society gave me.

I was also interested in planes, having been weaned on Bader, Standford-Tuck, Gibson et al, and saw a display by the Air Training Corps at the Boys & Girls Exhibition at Olympia. I decided that's what I wanted to do, and found out that several boys at my school were already in, so I joined up. In those days I had aspirations of being an RAF pilot (not to be). I soon realized after a couple of annual camps with the ATC and constant drill etc. that I wasn't cut out for a military life. Call it a family rebellious streak, not a 'morning person', or whatever.

Flash forward to 2001, the day before 9/11 when my dad and sister were visiting us in Ottawa. He had brought over my modest collection of badges, found in a box in the garage, having first asked if I was still interested in them. It was only then that I realized just how little I knew about all these badges, why they were worn and who wore them. That set me off collecting, when I decided to see how many British Army badges from corps and regiments I could find, as well as RAF badges, and, because I was living in Canada, the same for the Canadian Forces.

The bottom line is an inate interest in history, now military history, inspired by my grandad, and an admiration and a lot of respect for those who serve/have served and defended our liberty. I was never an Army/Air Force wannabe, other than when I was trying to choose a career. What I collect is for my own enjoyment, and like others have said, it brings home the reality of it all, having these badges or hats in my hand. I don't buy or collect for investment, even though a few of my badges have been bargains and are probably worth a lot more than I paid for them. I have realized that in trying to dispose of a collection of books not related to this field, that it's not that easy to get rid of them (people don't always want them even if you give them away), nor will I get a fraction of what I originally paid for them. I enjoy collecting badges, the 'thrill of the chase', the serendipity of finding something out-of-the-blue. That's why I collect.

David
Old 02-10-14, 11:16 PM

Very interesting to read these contributions to this thread!

Even though every collector has had their own specific introduction to collecting, and reasons for continuing and developing their interest, I note that there are a lot of things in common; the interest in History, the concept of what badges respresent beyong the mere physical badge, and the aquired respect for badge design as art in it's own right.

Someone should write a book about badge designs and the incorporated insignia and symbolism represented in any given badge.
I find myself drawn to some badges more than others, from a visual point of view. Ayrshire IY and Lanarckshire yeomanry badges, for example, are miniature works of art.

Cheers all

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 03-10-14, 03:17 PM

Following on from what Colin (ubervamp) has said, I wonder what is known about who actually designed some of these badges. Were there designers employed by the various companies, such as Firmin, or were they 'put out to tender', as we say here in Canada, and the best design wins? Probably the College of Arms had a hand in it somewhere; I think they have to approve them.

Well-known artist Rex Whistler designed the Reconnaissance Corps badge, Bill Slim apparently designed, or had a hand in, the 14th Army badge, and David Sterling was involved in the design of the SAS badge (I believe there were a few others who might have contributed, but whose names escape me now).

There is certainly a lot of art in the design of these badges. It would be an interesting essay, to look into who these people were and what else they may have designed.

David

Last edited by David Tremain; 03-10-14 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-10-14, 04:29 PM

I couldn't agree more,

The topic of badge design is quite fascinating and reminds me somewhat of the huge area of heraldic study. I would love a book that looked into this area. I know the area of insignia is too large to cover all badges but an study of different symbols and whey certain ones are used not to mention some of the (known) characters involved would be really great.

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 04-10-14, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Well-known artist Rex Whistler designed the Reconnaissance Corps badge
Incorrect, Whistler, amongst others, did submit several designs but the final design chosen was one submitted by Trooper George Jones of 56 Recce.

Rgds, Thomas.