British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-11, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim-544 View Post
just found this photo among his wedding pictures !!Attachment 54775
Brilliant - that seems to have confirmed it as PWO Yorks.
Old 15-12-11, 12:24 PM

Judging by the KD uniforms, this may have been taken in Aden?
Old 15-12-11, 08:22 PM

Default Mystery solved!

Have been trying to assist Slim-544 with the ID of his Uncle and have now found the answer.
A former Green Howard Drum Major with whom I served offered me a lead which resulted in the 2 attachments, regarding the amalgamation of the East Yorks and West Yorks in 1958.
From this it will be seen that the Drum Major on parade was Drum Major L.P.Hornby and Slim-554's Uncle was Lionel Hornby.
My initial enquiries into the Drum Majors who served with the West Yorks/PWO in the 1950's and 1960's gave this man's name as Nigel Hornby which was clearly an error.
Peter4447

Feel I must just ask looking at the badge on the Stand Banners in Post No 14 and the badge on the Programme, do we know if this was to be the badge for the Prince of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment and, if so, was it ever taken into use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PWO 2.jpg (36.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg PWO 1.jpg (30.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by peter4447; 15-12-11 at 09:21 PM.
Old 15-12-11, 09:16 PM

Peter,
Excellent. So my identification (in Post 7) of the lady in uniform as Princess Mary the Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897 - 1965) was correct!

HRH was Colonel in Chief of the West Yorkshire Regiment from 1947 and presumably the PWO from 1958 - ?.

Re the badge of a white rose on a star. That would probably represent the collar badge of the PWO who wore the Yorkshire Brigade cap badge. This photo shows the collar badges on Battle Dress on 21 August 1958.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yorkshire Museum (10).jpg (61.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 15-12-11 at 09:25 PM.
Old 15-12-11, 09:20 PM

She was clearly a remarkable lady Tim and apparently was made an Honorary General in the Army in 1956!
Peter
Old 15-12-11, 09:23 PM
lionel

gobsmacked thanks a million Peter you made my night here pal !
Old 15-12-11, 10:59 PM
lionel

i also want to thank every member who has posted in this thread with information and i hope the information keeps coming

thanks

lionel
Old 18-12-11, 12:27 PM
lionel

any clue as to the cap badge and the arm badge above his stripes , i take it the stripes are his rank in the batt as he is a drum major ??lionel hornby.jpg
Old 18-12-11, 01:07 PM

Hi Slim
See Toby's Post (No 10) for the cap badge - Yorkshire Brigade
Peter
Old 18-12-11, 01:09 PM
lionel

how did i miss that ? , my old eyes are not what they used to be ! thanks peter
Old 26-12-11, 07:55 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The Prince of Wales's Own were a Royal Regiment (as evidenced by their title) and thus wore Royal blue facings. I agree with CB that buff facings can be confused with white on old b&w photos but this is less difficult with modern images. Given all that has been said I feel that the York & Lancs are strong contenders for the photos shown and I concur with all that the badge is Yorkshire Brigade.
Toby

A little late in the day but the Prince of Wales's own were not a Royal Regiment and we wore buff/cream facings (very rare in the army) and backings to rank and trade badges on No1 dress and mess dress.

Cheers,

Marcus
Old 26-12-11, 08:02 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4447 View Post
Have been trying to assist Slim-544 with the ID of his Uncle and have now found the answer.
A former Green Howard Drum Major with whom I served offered me a lead which resulted in the 2 attachments, regarding the amalgamation of the East Yorks and West Yorks in 1958.
From this it will be seen that the Drum Major on parade was Drum Major L.P.Hornby and Slim-554's Uncle was Lionel Hornby.
My initial enquiries into the Drum Majors who served with the West Yorks/PWO in the 1950's and 1960's gave this man's name as Nigel Hornby which was clearly an error.
Peter4447

Feel I must just ask looking at the badge on the Stand Banners in Post No 14 and the badge on the Programme, do we know if this was to be the badge for the Prince of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment and, if so, was it ever taken into use?
Hi Peter,
Just a small but very personal point, the Regimental title is ''The Prince Of Wales's Own Regiment Of Yorkshire'', I served for 22 years with it and I'm sure you would be niffed if I were to mis quote your Regimental name.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 26-12-11, 08:03 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Peter,
Excellent. So my identification (in Post 7) of the lady in uniform as Princess Mary the Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897 - 1965) was correct!

HRH was Colonel in Chief of the West Yorkshire Regiment from 1947 and presumably the PWO from 1958 - ?.

Re the badge of a white rose on a star. That would probably represent the collar badge of the PWO who wore the Yorkshire Brigade cap badge. This photo shows the collar badges on Battle Dress on 21 August 1958.

Tim
Tim,
1 PWO on their way to AIDEN for the first of three tours, and you are of course correct regarding the collar badges - 8 pointed brunswick star surmounted with the white rose of Yorkshire, from the former East Yorkshire Regiment.
Old 26-12-11, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMO2440 View Post
Toby

A little late in the day but the Prince of Wales's own were not a Royal Regiment and we wore buff/cream facings (very rare in the army) and backings to rank and trade badges on No1 dress and mess dress.

Cheers,

Marcus
Thanks Marcus, I realised that later in the thread and commented subsequently about the facings. It threw me a bit at first as it had stuck in my mind that if a regiment had association with a Royal personage or a Royal prefix then they wore Royal facings, but I think that at that time it had to be Kings or Queens and a mere prince or princess was not enough.

Regards,

Toby
Old 26-12-11, 10:48 PM

Hi Marcus
Please accept as a member of the 1st Battalion the sincere apologies of one who was formerly a member of the now 2nd Battalion!
In my defence I can only plead I got confused with my own Regiment's title - The Green Howards (Alexandria, Princess of Wales' Own Yorkshire Regiment)>
Peter4447