British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-12, 09:13 PM

Two more Royal Dublin Fusiliers photos.

First one is a group shot. Most likely (note on the back) 5th (Extra Reserve) Battalion.

Any details, to determinate a period?

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 14-05-12, 09:16 PM

A picture of Royal Dublin Fusiliers soldier. What cord he has there - for a whistle perhaps?

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 15-05-12, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Two more Royal Dublin Fusiliers photos.

First one is a group shot. Most likely (note on the back) 5th (Extra Reserve) Battalion.

Any details, to determinate a period?

At least 3 of the men in the rear row (and there are possibly more) are wearing the 'simplified' service dress jacket, the bulk of which were issued between Sep 1914 and Jul 1915, in order to give manufacturers the chance to produce more uniforms over a shorter time span. They had no shoulder reinforcement patches and no pleats to the upper pockets. The pockets were made deeper to compensate for the lack of expansion. This factor would indicate that it shows the battalion undergoing training, early in the war after reservists had been recalled.
Old 15-05-12, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
A picture of Royal Dublin Fusiliers soldier. What cord he has there - for a whistle perhaps?

According to Army regulations (General Orders) an Army issue clasp knife was to be carried in the top left pocket, secured by its issued lanyard made of off white cord. Soldiers often plaited this cord in a variety of ways to make it shorter and /or more decorative, and some also used odd lengths of salvaged cordage to make more elaborate lanyards.
Old 16-05-12, 08:01 AM

Thank Toby. I learned again new details to check in the future!

Timo
Old 02-09-15, 04:01 PM

Default Uniform Andrew Foster

The badges on his cap and collar definitely show that he is in the Artillery. He also has star badges on his right sleeve which indicate that he is in a Volunteer Artillery unit. They were like the TA of their time. The peaked cap he is wearing was adopted by the army c 1905. He is wearing the dress tunic; blue with red collar, which was discontinued around 1914 so the photo dates between 1905 and 1914, this is my great-grandfather Andrew Foster born 1868 what regiment would this be? I could send a close up of the uniform dressed uniform and walking out stick.
Andrew Foster born 10.09.1868 married to Eliza Jane Henderson
resided 1870, 64 Nicol Street, Kirkcaldy
1881, Elgin Cottages, Dysart
1891, 12 Elgin Cottages, Dysart
1892,12 Elgin Cottages, Dysart
1893, 173 High Street Kirkcaldy
1896, 19 Nicol Street, Kirkcaldy
1903, 122 Links Street, Kirkcaldy
died 23.10.15
There is a strange finding in the life of Andrew Foster regarding his military career and this is that he finds himself in another regiment as a private at his demise...