British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-11, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Thank you so much guys again! It is my pleasure to read your replies.

John, thank you! Actually I am familiar with the site and the association. Actually I even joined with them just a few weeks ago!

Here is my todays arrivals:

1. original sigarette card with the famous Royal Dublin Fusiliers boy-soldier Dunne. Small but prefect shape! I presume these were printed in bigger quantities.

I like the picture how RDF cap badge and collar is represented.
There is an online book (via project guttenberg) of the history of 2 RDF (by its then CO) in the Boer War that mentions the incident involving Bugler Dunne in some detail.

His story and that of a boy trumpeter was used with some PR skill by the media of the day to mask an International outcry about a merciless pursuit of fleeing Boers by Lancers at the same action.

He can be seen below sat on his father's (and a sailor's) shoulders during his feting at Portsmouth upon his return from SA.

Much later in life he owned a bar in Fiji and died peacefully in Australia in 1950.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2648435181_2a19af7e50.jpg (36.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg bugler_dunnec2.jpg (13.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg bugler_dunne_blows.jpg (19.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg bugler_dunne.jpg (23.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Bugle.jpg (15.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 61lhbTBeFKL._SS500_.jpg (67.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 13-12-11 at 03:40 PM.
Old 13-12-11, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much guys again! It is my pleasure to read your replies.

John, thank you! Actually I am familiar with the site and the association. Actually I even joined with them just a few weeks ago!

Here is my todays arrivals:

1. original sigarette card with the famous Royal Dublin Fusiliers boy-soldier Dunne. Small but prefect shape! I presume these were printed in bigger quantities.

I like the picture how RDF cap badge and collar is represented.

Nice image ....... the khaki frock is fairly typical of both early c. 1900 and also later "utility" KD in that it has the mandarin collar, which looks jolly uncomfortable. Collar badges were not usually issued for this collar, but the drummer manages to squeeze them on.
Old 13-12-11, 10:03 PM

Thank you guys so much! Especially Toby - I have learned here a lot!

More RDF stuff will follow soon
Old 14-02-12, 12:50 AM

Quote:
This picture I think is from Victorian era. Picture is made in Dublin and thats about it what I know about it.

He is almost certainly a Connaught Ranger, as they were the only regiment with dark green facings. All the other Irish regiments were Royal titled and thus had dark blue collars and cuffs traced with a single line of white lace. As such he has two brass numerals either, 88 or 94, on his shoulder strap. The glengarry badge looks like the pattern used by the 94th, as opposed to the 88th.

1880 94th Regiment of Foot South Africa
1881.07.01 retitled: 2nd Battalion, The Connaught Rangers
1882.03 Ireland: Fermoy
1885 Templemore
1887 England: Portsmouth

I would surmise that the photo was taken when the 2nd battalion was newly arrived at Fermoy in 1882 and before it had received its new, "Connaught Rangers" insignia. The tunic however, is the 1881 pattern and so very probably only just issued.

As the old 94th, the 2nd battalion would no doubt have been pleased with the 'new' green facings that had been decreed for non-Royal Irish regiments, as Lincoln Green had been their facing colour before the merger. Conversely, the 88th had worn yellow facings and so would have been less pleased perhaps.

The 88th (1st Battalion Connaught Rangers) were in India at the time that the photo was taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94th Regiment of Foot.jpg (27.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 88th.jpg (36.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 22-02-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 14-02-12, 12:44 PM

Here are further images relating to the Connaught Rangers that perhaps help to give a flavour of their style and reputation as "the Devil's Own".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connaught1911.jpg (87.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg connaught1910.jpg (74.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg conn rangers.jpg (54.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg connau4.jpg (33.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7942_preview.jpg (18.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1607-1673-thickbox.jpg (75.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (9.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Connaught.jpg (88.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20953_0178_1_lg.jpg (52.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Connaught Rangers Glengarry.jpg (31.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg index (3).jpg (50.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-02-12 at 12:52 PM.
Old 19-02-12, 03:47 PM

Thank you so much Toby! Now I know that I can let that shot go or try to trade it with the RDF photo
Old 20-03-12, 09:35 PM

Today's arrival. Nice photo what shows I think 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers band from pre war period. Cap badges are surelly RDF but I can't see any other insignia. What is odd is the crest on the drum. Any info of that coat of arms guys?

Also what sleeve badge they can have there?

Because 1st battalion was awarded "Royal Tiger" on the 1791, I think thats why one of the members wear tiger skin or what it is????

close up

Regards,

Timo aka Noor
Old 21-03-12, 12:23 AM

I found an answer of British Army tradition of drummers Leopard skin already. Something new learned today again!
Old 23-03-12, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Today's arrival. Nice photo what shows I think 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers band from pre war period. Cap badges are surelly RDF but I can't see any other insignia. What is odd is the crest on the drum. Any info of that coat of arms guys?

Also what sleeve badge they can have there?

Because 1st battalion was awarded "Royal Tiger" on the 1791, I think thats why one of the members wear tiger skin or what it is????

close up

Regards,

Timo aka Noor
The crest on the Bass Drum is that of the 'Royal Arms', above which is something else, which I can't make out. Your Bass Drummer is infact wearing a 'Tiger' skin apron, which would have animal rights activists up in arms these days.

As bandsmen I suspect they're wearing the old pattern bandsmans badge, which in itself was a lovely piece of work.
Old 23-03-12, 11:57 AM

Thanks Graham!

Yeah, this animal skin tradition was big suprise to me. Of course 1st battalion band "tiger" skin makes prefect sence! I am very happy with that shot!

More will be follow hopefully next week!

Thanks again lads,

Timo
Old 23-03-12, 05:22 PM

The band badge does not look big enough to be the massive trumpets harp and crown old badge, but neither does if look a great deal like the later lyre and crown [which had vertainly been intro. by c.1908 or a bit later.

Ever closer up please?
Old 23-03-12, 06:34 PM

This subject has already been answered in a separate thread. Uniquely (to my knowledge anyway) the RDF had a bandsman's badge that comprised their regimental badge scroll superimposed with the bandsmans traditional lyre badge:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...and#post126676

I imagine that these were either made locally, or a special order to manufacturers and paid for from regimental funds. I did mention this in a PM to you PHAETHON, but I think that you missed it in amongst the other information.

I am sure that this RDF website would sincerely appreciate a scanned copy of the photo: http://www.royaldublinfusiliers.com/...otographs.html

You might also be interested in this ice bucket in the form of an RDF side drum: http://www.regimentalreplicas.com/pr...tegoryID=10407
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDF%20Musicians%20badge%201.jpg (64.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RDF%20Lyre.jpg (65.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 23-03-12 at 07:42 PM.
Old 26-03-12, 09:16 PM

Here is one pre 1881 102nd Regiment of Foot Royal Madras Fusiliers (after 1881 Childers reforms became 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers) embossed letter heading coat of arms.
Quality is just amazing. There was as well similar Royal Bombay Fusiliers crest on auction, but because I was away from internet this weekend, missed it.

Old 26-03-12, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
This subject has already been answered in a separate thread. Uniquely (to my knowledge anyway) the RDF had a bandsman's badge that comprised their regimental badge scroll superimposed with the bandsmans traditional lyre badge:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...and#post126676

I imagine that these were either made locally, or a special order to manufacturers and paid for from regimental funds. I did mention this in a PM to you PHAETHON, but I think that you missed it in amongst the other information.

I am sure that this RDF website would sincerely appreciate a scanned copy of the photo: http://www.royaldublinfusiliers.com/...otographs.html

You might also be interested in this ice bucket in the form of an RDF side drum: http://www.regimentalreplicas.com/pr...tegoryID=10407
Amazing! Thank you, that is yet another new piece of knowledge ...... I do know of other unique band badges but have never been sure if they were worn on the arm, or accoutrements, or headdress. Away from home but can lay my hands on at least one illustration later ...... Green Howards I think.
Old 27-03-12, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Amazing! Thank you, that is yet another new piece of knowledge ...... I do know of other unique band badges but have never been sure if they were worn on the arm, or accoutrements, or headdress. Away from home but can lay my hands on at least one illustration later ...... Green Howards I think.
I guess one should never say 'unique' about anything within the British Army's regimental system

It will not surprise me that a regiment such as the Green Howards also have a 'special' bandsmans badge and I would love to see an image if you can find it.

Incidentally the RDF band badge was worn on a piece of felt backing cloth (as you can see in the B&W photo I posted), but I do not know if this was scarlet (to match full dress chevron backing) or in the RDFs 'special' shade of Garter Blue (to match their forage caps).

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 27-03-12 at 08:32 AM.