British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-11, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post

And of course we do not know middle hero is RDF, do we?
On the balance of probability I am fairly confident that they are likely to be from the same battalion given the context of the photo, in a front line trench, in what is clearly meant to be a humorous shot demonstrating the good luck to have not been killed by what was obviously a 'dud'.
Old 27-11-11, 07:56 PM

I do so agree!
Old 03-12-11, 09:12 PM

Thank you so much guys! Superb information and after reading your replies regarding last framed photo, I am even more thrilled about that. I bought it locally for 30 euro and now I am sure money was well spent and it fits into my collection nicelly!

Here is one more RDF photo what I received yesterday. Is there any "clues" what can help to indicate time frame when it was made? As much (not mutch) I presume, he has 1902 pattern dress. So, a Royal Dublin Fusiliers Corporal somewhere between 1902-1918?

Made locally in Dublin but there is no name, etc text written on the back, so no way to ID him unfortunately.

Old 03-12-11, 09:26 PM

Next I do not have any questions to ask but I would like to share and hear opionins of my small Royal Dublin Fusiliers collection one of the highlights... also its not a photo (am I allowed to share it here?):

2nd Battalion Presentation of Colours booklet from 1911.

Amazing shape - all the paper is without any folds, etc. Quality is just prefect. Cover page is printed on the "puble paper" and crest is half stamped in. Inisde pages are all good as well. All togthered just 6 sheets (12 pages) inside and the size is just slightly bigger then the normal post card but I must say - I am in love of that item (don't tell it to my wife!). I do not think that there is many of these around after 100 years + event what for that booklet was issued was hugh for a one regiment!

Old 03-12-11, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Thank you so much guys! Superb information and after reading your replies regarding last framed photo, I am even more thrilled about that. I bought it locally for 30 euro and now I am sure money was well spent and it fits into my collection nicelly!

Here is one more RDF photo what I received yesterday. Is there any "clues" what can help to indicate time frame when it was made? As much (not mutch) I presume, he has 1902 pattern dress. So, a Royal Dublin Fusiliers Corporal somewhere between 1902-1918?

Made locally in Dublin but there is no name, etc text written on the back, so no way to ID him unfortunately.
It's a lovely photograph and perhaps taken around 1906-07, as he is not wearing the new 1908 pattern web belt, but the old buff leather waist belt from the 1887 Slade Wallace Pattern Valise Equipment. That said, one swallow does not a Summer make and it could be later and just a question of him preferring to wear the undoubtedly smarter buff belt. He also has a 'whangee' type swagger cane, which usually came from a tropical posting like India. Notice the leather fob for his pocket watch attached to a chest pocket button. He also has the smarter, stiff sided version of the 1905 pattern SD cap so I don't think the photo can be any later than 1914. He might well have been on the staff of the regimental depot at Naas.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 03-12-11 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Next I do not have any questions to ask but I would like to share and hear opionins of my small Royal Dublin Fusiliers collection one of the highlights... also its not a photo (am I allowed to share it here?):

2nd Battalion Presentation of Colours booklet from 1911.

Amazing shape - all the paper is without any folds, etc. Quality is just prefect. Cover page is printed on the "puble paper" and crest is half stamped in. Inisde pages are all good as well. All togthered just 6 sheets (12 pages) inside and the size is just slightly bigger then the normal post card but I must say - I am in love of that item (don't tell it to my wife!). I do not think that there is many of these around after 100 years + event what for that booklet was issued was hugh for a one regiment!
A wonderful and rare artefact to have possession of. I doubt that many of the officers and warrant officers listed survived to 1918. It would be an interesting exercise to try and trace the fate of each one via ancestry.com or find my past....etc.
Old 12-12-11, 12:15 AM

Thank you so much! It is just amazing what you can "read out" from the plain picture.

Last week was very busy because so many new RDF awards showed up on the market and some are now on the way to my humble collection. But one of the highlights, what I love is a single old postcard what I received. Regarding the crown, is it possible to date it between 1901-1913?:

Old 12-12-11, 01:27 AM

Gale and Polden Portsmouth suggest a post 1904 date.
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/alde...n-timeline.htm

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 12-12-11, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much! It is just amazing what you can "read out" from the plain picture.

Last week was very busy because so many new RDF awards showed up on the market and some are now on the way to my humble collection. But one of the highlights, what I love is a single old postcard what I received. Regarding the crown, is it possible to date it between 1901-1913?:
Another superbly preserved artefact and I am glad to see your collection growing. Like all the disbanded regiments they deserve to be honoured and remembered in Ireland, as well as Britain.

I agree with Thomas that the card dates from after the 2nd Anglo/Boer War and the crown is that of Edward VII.
Old 12-12-11, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
It's a lovely photograph and perhaps taken around 1906-07, as he is not wearing the new 1908 pattern web belt, but the old buff leather waist belt from the 1887 Slade Wallace Pattern Valise Equipment. That said, one swallow does not a Summer make and it could be later and just a question of him preferring to wear the undoubtedly smarter buff belt. He also has a 'whangee' type swagger cane, which usually came from a tropical posting like India. Notice the leather fob for his pocket watch attached to a chest pocket button. He also has the smarter, stiff sided version of the 1905 pattern SD cap so I don't think the photo can be any later than 1914. He might well have been on the staff of the regimental depot at Naas.
Alas the Slade Wallace was worn continuously throughout WWI mainly by Home Service units.
Old 12-12-11, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks Toby, prefect information!

Here is one more of my Great War photos. Looks like RDF cap badge to me. Bought locally from Dublin. No names, etc on the back.

Fantastic pictures. Here's the Royal Dublin Fusiliers website. You never know, you might get an I/D on them. They have quite an active association.

http://www.royaldublinfusiliers.com/

John
Old 12-12-11, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Alas the Slade Wallace was worn continuously throughout WWI mainly by Home Service units.
Yes I have seen many photos that indicate that fact, although they seem to be progressively less common as the war went on. I agree that it is not possible to date the photo absolutely definitively for that reason.
Old 12-12-11, 10:25 PM

Thank you so much guys again! It is my pleasure to read your replies.

John, thank you! Actually I am familiar with the site and the association. Actually I even joined with them just a few weeks ago!

Here is my todays arrivals:

1. original sigarette card with the famous Royal Dublin Fusiliers boy-soldier Dunne. Small but prefect shape! I presume these were printed in bigger quantities.

I like the picture how RDF cap badge and collar is represented.

Old 12-12-11, 10:34 PM

2. Next item what I got is a Gregory & Co, London print. Looks like period one to me and it is just fantastic shape! I presume it was part of some kind a regimental picture album? Is there more information about this publication?

Close up of soldier. Does anyone have a original picture of this type of shoulder boards insignia? Looks like a cap badge to me.

Old 13-12-11, 01:29 PM

Quote:
2. Next item what I got is a Gregory & Co, London print. Looks like period one to me and it is just fantastic shape! I presume it was part of some kind a regimental picture album? Is there more information about this publication?

Close up of soldier. Does anyone have a original picture of this type of shoulder boards insignia? Looks like a cap badge to me.
I can't help with the book from which the image was taken, but the picture shows RDF before 1902, as evidenced by the jam pot cuff 1881 pattern tunics and the first pattern of racoon skin cap without regimental plume. From 1902 on the tunic changed to a type with a pointed cuff, and white lace tracing both the cuff and along the top of the collar. At the same time coloured plumes were agreed for all those fusilier regiments that had not yet readopted them after the reintroduction of distinctive fur caps for fusiliers for the first time since the Regency period. The plume for the RDF was agreed as Garter blue over emerald green and introduced after the 2nd Boer War.

Just before WW1 the tunic was modified again and the white lace returned to the bottom edge of the collar (see photo of tunic).

The shoulder title in your image was of white worsted embroidery configured as DF under a grenade similar to the RWF example depicted, but without the 1 and V. In the 2nd Anglo/Boer War these were often cut off and attached to the side of the Foreign Service Helmet covers as a regimental flash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1885735_1_l.jpg (22.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 442px-Royal_Dublin_Fusileers.jpg (67.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg providing_hand_crafted_r-23.jpeg (4.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05821.jpg (30.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Regimentalflash.jpg (13.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1612-1678-thickbox.jpg (92.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-02-12 at 11:41 AM.