British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-05-22, 12:31 PM

Default Cambs from the Western Cape.

I have finally acquired the second half of a pair of Cambs badges that I needed for the collection. There were no rival bidders, and I had no problem at all getting the two of them, in two separate auctions, a couple of weeks apart. The fact that they were on bidorbuyza and located in Cape Town, may have had something to do with this.

I did detect rather negative waves regarding this particular auction site, but I was unable to find this Cambs variant anywhere else, and two of them in the same place, has got to be a bit jammy! Anyhow, I will not be holding my breath, awaiting their arrival, but in the meantime, I can share an image or two of the pair of them, with some of you fine fellows.

You will notice that these two badges have rectangular braze holes, I have a few that have oval braze holes, but I've found that these slotted types are rather far and few between. I have managed to find a couple that are also maker marked FIRMIN LONDON, but I've had to go a little further to find these unmarked specimens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12674.jpg (44.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12675.jpg (50.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12676.jpg (54.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12667.JPG (92.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12668.JPG (80.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12673.JPG (108.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 16-05-22 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-05-22, 03:20 PM

I know the feeling of finally finding and getting a much desired badge! Congrats.

I notice they both have the flat topped shield, which makes me think that is common with the badges that have braze holes in them - but nothing more than assumption on my part. Is there a braze hole under the slider on these? My oval misspelled one has three oval braze holes which is why I ask.

Terry
Old 12-05-22, 03:45 PM

Thanks Terry, I don't know about a centre braze hole on these badges, I will need to await their "snail mail" delivery from SA. I expect that they will have three, that seems pretty much normal with the badges that have them. However, as I said, they do seem to be a bit scarce here in the UK, there's shedloads without holes. I do also have flat topped shields without braze holes, so they don't necessarily go together.
Old 12-05-22, 03:49 PM

They look a good match for my example Chris-post 12 https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...cambridgeshire
There is a centre braze hole. Glad you have obtained them. Regards, Paul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070736.jpg (46.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by wardog; 12-05-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-05-22, 05:13 PM

Here are the two flat topped shields that I have, sadly no holes in them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12667.JPG (72.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12668.JPG (67.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12673.jpg (42.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12674.jpg (39.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 13-05-22, 08:27 AM

Default Flat topped shield Cambridgeshires

To be honest I have never been keen on flat topped shield Cambridgeshire badges with small acorns and no sweat holes, I may be wrong, the flat topped shield badge I have was has Firmin on the slider and sweat holes.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 13-05-22 at 09:00 AM.
Old 13-05-22, 10:01 AM

Do you think that flat topped shields without braze holes are a bit iffy then, Rob? They do seem to come with or without them, and with or without FIRMIN LONDON, I don't know if that ought to tell us something, or not?

Last edited by thursdaychris; 13-05-22 at 10:48 AM.
Old 13-05-22, 11:05 AM

Cool Flat topped shield Cambridgeshires

I often find that some badges are guilty by association, if a seller who has known fake badges for sale and I see any of these being offered it puts my guard up straight away.

Rob
Old 13-05-22, 11:46 AM

I blew the dust off a large pile of Armourer magazines last night, I haven't looked at them for many years, my collecting interests have changed somewhat. Anyhow, I opened the first page and the first thing that I saw was an advert for Martin Marsh, I have yet to see that fine gentleman's name come up when the supply of Cambridgeshire badges gets mentioned!
Old 13-05-22, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
I blew the dust off a large pile of Armourer magazines last night, I haven't looked at them for many years, my collecting interests have changed somewhat. Anyhow, I opened the first page and the first thing that I saw was an advert for Martin Marsh, I have yet to see that fine gentleman's name come up when the supply of Cambridgeshire badges gets mentioned!
Like these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 58F052F0-DE3A-4541-B698-871A238B75C4.jpeg (110.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg 185DD2D9-59F4-4ADA-9064-D521339137F3.jpeg (88.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 13-05-22, 05:26 PM

Many thanks, Luke, flat top shields are suddenly not looking too good, both of these images do seem to have their "e"s, and I'm guessing that one would have been brass and the other bimetal. How many of the Martin Marsh badges came with braze holes, as well, I wonder?
Old 13-05-22, 06:40 PM

I don't think the Marsh badge matches mine exactly but i'm open to other opinions. I don't think the acorn turret tops match, detail is clear, slider looks OK. Do other earlier Cambridge badges use the flat top shield? Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 13-05-22 at 06:54 PM.
Old 14-05-22, 05:20 AM

Cool Flat top shield Cambridgeshire badge

I have a flat top shield Cambridgeshire badge marked FIRMIN on the slider.

Rob
Old 14-05-22, 06:45 AM

Terrible news from Cape Town, the first Cambs badge that I bought had been listed twice, and this did not come to light until I paid them a second time for the same badge! I did think it was a bit too good to be true, just what I was looking for, times two, in the same place!

Anyhow, a bit of detective work will be needed now, and a little adjustment to the Cambs display, perhaps. There are quite a few Cambridgeshire badges to be found on the likes of Picclick UK, and suchlike. Would the Marsh versions of the Cambs badge be far and few between, or fairly common, I ask myself, and would there be any readily identifiable features, other than flat top shields?