British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-05-22, 06:55 PM

Thanks ThursdayChris, My badge also has braze holes, so until identified otherwise, I will consider it a good badge.

You can see, although the pictures are pretty awful, the badge I am talking about. Scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=89279

Thanks again for the reply!

Terry
Old 07-05-22, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Hello Thursdaychris, in answer to your first question as to what makes my badge a fake, the answer is "I don't really know", I put it up on the forum classifieds some while ago and was told by a member(s) that it was a fake, it had me fooled and as I am not in the habit of offering anything for sale on the forum that I think is "Iffy", I took it off.
For transparency I am the ‘member’ referred to.

Re the badge in question, the metal looks typically repro, as does the poor reverse impression - especially to the scroll, the burnished edges to the slider also do not look WW1 period.

I stand by those observations.

This well known and discussed eBay seller of little repute has had one for sale for months unsold, same die, same issues as Rob’s badge shown in post #5.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264740518...wAAOSw2lZeEe3C

So if you desire such an example, yours for a mere £25. However, if the many, many well know eBay dealers (buyers/sellers) or collectors had any confidence in it I’m sure it would not be there as genuine examples command significantly more.

To date the only genuine 1916 all GM issue Cambs I’ve seen are from the same die with the tapering slider.

Last edited by Luke H; 08-05-22 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-05-22, 09:38 PM

Default Fake Cambridgeshire Badges

Thanks Luke for that explanation as to why you thought my 1916 Cambridgeshire badge was a fake, I do not mention members names in my threads as I feel this is unnecessary.

While on the subject of Cambridgeshire cap badges I have noticed recently there are badges without the "E" that have flat topped shields and blowholes for the scroll.

These to me are a new thing, all the badges I have seen without the "E" have oval topped shields and backs without blowholes.

The fact these have appeared fairly recently intrigues me, there seems to be renewed interest in this Territorial Regiment and I am surprised that there appears to be two manufacturers using different production techniques that made the mistake of missing out the "E".

Your thoughts appreciated

Rob
Old 08-05-22, 07:46 AM

Well Rob, you've got me studying the badges that I have, I hadn't given much thought to the shape of the shield, previously. Up to now, at least, the "no e" badges have not interested me a great deal, I do have a couple, of course, as they are probably the best known variant.

As mentioned earlier, I have been paying rather more attention to the backs of these badges. Anyhow, I have attached pics of half a dozen of the badges that I have, firstly the two with missing "e"s, and then several more that have oval braze holes. If I'm not mistaken, apart from where the slider is fixed, they're all very much the same!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12779.jpg (62.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12780.jpg (66.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12781.jpg (45.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12782.jpg (44.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12667.JPG (43.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12668.jpg (66.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12673.jpg (27.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12674.jpg (25.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12675.jpg (60.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12676.jpg (58.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12677.jpg (94.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12684.jpg (95.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-05-22, 01:44 PM

Default No "E"

I cannot see from your badges whether the badges with the stamped white metal base of castle and title scroll in white metal have the "E" missing.

Of course the final finished product is the overlaid scroll that has the missing "E", as to whether this scroll was applied to a badge with or without blowholes depended on the shape of the shield. The spelling mistake is by the maker of the G/M scroll.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 08-05-22 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 06:22 PM

Default Bedford badges

As with the 1916 badge I posted, I saw another exactly the same on a dealers stall who proclaimed it original, so I think Luke was correct in his assumption of it being a badge of recent manufacture.

Rob