British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-22, 10:42 AM

Default “T.F.” pin badge?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wondered if anyone has ever come across a badge like the one in the below image at all please? As will be seen it is a small round white-metal/silver coloured pin badge, with the letters “T.F.” on the front and the maker’s mark “J.R.Gaunt London” on the back:

TF Badge.jpg

I suspect it isn’t actually military, but picked it up a number of years ago as I thought, probably wrongly, that the “T.F.” might perhaps have stood for ‘Territorial Force’?? As I say, I’m probably not right in this, and that the letters stand for something completely different. In any event, if someone has come across a badge like this before, then I’d obviously be glad to hear about it, or, indeed, and if anybody has any comments on it, good or bad! Many thanks.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 15-04-22, 11:18 AM

Hi Martin

This looks a bit like some badges that I've seen for hunt clubs. Could even be some other sports connection but the Gaunt bit makes me think that it is some kind of military link after all.

One clue is that pin back fitting often (though not always) suggests wear by women, so....
Old 15-04-22, 01:59 PM

I have seen this before in a collection of badges used by a nurse in the TFNS
Old 16-04-22, 05:57 AM

So I was close to the mark when I suggested that it was for wear by women?

Isn't it also true that nurse's badges are often in white metal? That "A N" of previous posts that has been suggested as "Assistant Nurse" (and made by Gaunt) is made of this material.
Old 16-04-22, 11:07 AM

Default Early Territorial Force Nursing Service Badge

Many thanks indeed for the replies Gentlemen. Yes now you’ve mentioned it having a pin fixing would seem to imply it was for wear by a woman, so fits nicely with it being for the Territorial Force Nursing Service. In fact, thanks to this suggestion, I have now found an example on the website of the Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps here, where they too think it to be for the T.F.N.S. As this isn’t quite what I thought it might be, and so doesn’t really fit with my collecting, I think I’ll be parting with it, but am obviously grateful for the help in its probable identification.

Best regards

Martin

Old 16-04-22, 12:55 PM

Found this on a Nursing Collectables site :

Quote:
Also included are the rare TF round badge and a collar tab and cap insignia for the TFNS.
https://petersnursingcollectables.com/photos/53025.jpg

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-04-22, 09:12 PM

Default Rare Round T.F.N.S. Badge!

Many thanks for your posting Mike, and especially for the link to the items on Peters Nursing Collectables site, which clearly shows an example of my badge, which, as you note, he describes as “the rare TF round badge”! This certainly helps to confirm what has already been suggested, and what the Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps website appear to have suspected. A great result, and the Forum at its best!

Regards

Martin