British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-22, 05:07 AM

Default Three Badges Wondering if Good or bad

I acquired these three badges about 20 years ago as WWI badges. I have learned from this forum that a good many the dealer sold were bad, which is why I'd like to know about these please. I have crossed him off of my dealer list. I hope the pictures are good enough to allow a determination, but if need be I can try taking new ones.

The Cameronians (Scots Rifles) seems to have small footed lugs. I tried to get a close up of them, but wonder if that is correct? I also understand it was worn with a Douglas tartan backing - does anybody have a picture they can share of what I would want to look for to add that?

Thank you for your thoughts and knowledge!

Terry
Old 08-02-22, 05:45 AM

In my opinion they are all good but I would get a better opinion than mine on the SWB badge, I always struggle with WWI economy badges.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-02-22, 07:20 AM

The 1916 SWB was 'all GM' - 15,000 made.

Border Regt - was never made in GM

Cameronians look OK to me
Old 08-02-22, 12:51 PM

The SWB badge looks to be bimetal, not a 1916 EI issue. If this is the case and those are small elongated sweat/braze holes at the bottom of the S and B then it is fine.
Old 08-02-22, 01:36 PM

The Border Regiment appears to be of white metal.
Old 08-02-22, 04:15 PM

Thank you gentlemen!

The Border Regiment is indeed white metal, but I took the pictures at night so it picked up the yellow tint from the overhead light.

The SWB is all yellow metal. I'll take a new picture in daylight see what you all think then. I also saw on a previous post that it is better to tell about a badge on a dark background, so I will change to that.

Thanks again,

Terry
Old 08-02-22, 04:22 PM

Terry it looks very much that the sphinx and "SWB" part of the Swabs badge is overlaid on the rest of the design, which would indicate that it is a bimetal rather than all brass badge, is the overlay of very toned white metal?
Old 08-02-22, 05:46 PM

I always recommend giving a badge a good scrub prior to presenting it for appraisal. It does appear that the SWB may be bi metal.
The Cameronians is the earlier slightly smaller type with the narrower fronds, so it could very well be WW1. The others I would say are impossible to date with certainty.

CB
Old 08-02-22, 09:29 PM

Thank you gentlemen for the additional info.

Leigh, I have had these badges so long that I had not really looked very closely at them. In retaking pictures of the SWB, the Sphinx, Egypt and SWB letters are indeed white metal. Something I had never noticed before!

CB, I agree, and will clean it, but when I got it I never touched any badges except to remove any dirt that was on it. But this one will look lots nicer with a nice scrub. Would a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water be safe to use on it?

I have retaken a picture of the front of the Broder Regiment badge in indirect sunlight and you can see it is white metal. I also retook he front of the SWB badge and a close up of the back where hte wihte metal is in case that sheds any new light on it.

Thank you all again very much!

Terry
Old 08-02-22, 11:17 PM

Greetings.

All look good to me and I believe all 3 are genuine badges.

Regards.

Brian
Old 08-02-22, 11:28 PM

Hi Terry,
Yes, a toothbrush, dish soap and hot water will remove the old built up polish and gunk. It is best you do this as that residue can eventually damage the metal.

CB
Old 09-02-22, 05:36 AM

Thanks Brian and CB!

Terry