British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-22, 09:47 PM

Default Book Badges 1914-18 David Bilton

Badges of the regular infantry 1914-1918. David Bilton. Pen & sword.

I've recently become aware of this book. Apparently first published last year (2021), it's sold as being the result of 30 years of research in museums, archives and collections. So I'm a bit confused as to why what appears to be a Royal Norfolk badge is shown on the cover? Can anyone shed some light on this? If it is a post WW1 badge then it's not a book I would want to own for obvious reasons.
Old 04-02-22, 10:00 PM

Link:

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Badg...rdback/p/19075

Tim
Old 04-02-22, 10:04 PM

Thanks Tim! I forgot the link.
Cheers
Richard.
Old 05-02-22, 03:27 AM

Not my line of collecting but I did read the write-up and noticed the last sentence in the first paragraph. Would this cover the inclusion of the Norfolk badge on the cover? Best regards, D.J.
Old 05-02-22, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM View Post
Badges of the regular infantry 1914-1918. David Bilton. Pen & sword.

I've recently become aware of this book. Apparently first published last year (2021), it's sold as being the result of 30 years of research in museums, archives and collections. So I'm a bit confused as to why what appears to be a Royal Norfolk badge is shown on the cover? Can anyone shed some light on this? If it is a post WW1 badge then it's not a book I would want to own for obvious reasons.
Perhaps he used the wrong museums!

As I’ve said before on here, even museums make mistakes, and most of their collections are donations so it relies on the donor giving the genuine article!

Obviously exception is Sealed Pattern cards, which should be the indelible record of authorised items provided they’ve not been damaged / interfered with etc.

There was a recent Pals insignia publication where a fake Lonsdale ‘turkey’ badge is proudly pictured on the front cover, a shame and for a badge collector like me off putting enough for me not to want the book.
Old 05-02-22, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Not my line of collecting but I did read the write-up and noticed the last sentence in the first paragraph. Would this cover the inclusion of the Norfolk badge on the cover? Best regards, D.J.
D.J.

I re-read what you suggested and I believe it refers to battalions that remained in far-flung Empire garrisons rather than being redeployed to the European theatres of war. Regardless, the badge shown on the cover was introduced after the Norfolk Regiment became the Royal Norfolk Regiment in June 1935! Unless, of course, someone knows better, possibly having a copy of the book to hand, hence the reason for my original post.
Old 06-02-22, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Perhaps he used the wrong museums!

As I’ve said before on here, even museums make mistakes, and most of their collections are donations so it relies on the donor giving the genuine article!

Obviously exception is Sealed Pattern cards, which should be the indelible record of authorised items provided they’ve not been damaged / interfered with etc.

There was a recent Pals insignia publication where a fake Lonsdale ‘turkey’ badge is proudly pictured on the front cover, a shame and for a badge collector like me off putting enough for me not to want the book.
As you say, it is a shame, particularly when someone has purportedly spent 30 years researching a subject matter. Either that's bullsh*t on the part of the publisher, or a glaring oversight by the author. It reminds me of that Arthur Ward badge book where he talks about the 'Royal Essex Regiment'. Oh dear.........
Old 06-02-22, 11:12 AM

In the section on the Norfolk Regt of the David Bilton book, he states that officers wore a different badge to the ORs. The photo on the cover is replicated inside with the caption "The officer's badge only contained the central design of the other men's [sic] cap badge" and a contemporary photo of 3 officers from 1st Bn is included, in which they are wearing a fully bronzed version of the badge in the photo .........
The IWM has some photos of the badge being worn, by officers of 1/5th Bn -https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205294025
and https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205293009
Clive
Old 06-02-22, 11:38 AM

“Never judge a book by its cover”???

Another example here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holy-Boys-H...pr_product_top

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BE2C7B09-E4B6-42FA-9688-D62F831057E4.jpeg (55.5 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 06-02-22 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 12:49 PM

Many thanks indeed for the responses. I’m happier to part with my hard earned cash now. Thanks.
Old 06-02-22, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM View Post
I’m happier to part with my hard earned cash now. Thanks.
On second thoughts, I'm not. That is definitely a post 1935 Royal Norfolk badge on the cover. The Norfolk officer's badge was bronze, Britannia sat on a tablet and the trident was short with the prongs sitting on the shoulder. I have checked through the forum posts on this subject because I thought I had missed something, and that's what the forum experts are telling me. The contemporary IWM photos clearly show the normal officer's version as described by the expert collectors here. The badge on the cover of that book is not one of those officer's badges. Unless the author has an exceptionally rare badge with provenance, or a forum expert can point out where I have misunderstood something, I will settle for it just being wrong. I'm not being a smart-ass, I simply have an interest in the badges and insignia of the Norfolk Rgt and just want to learn the facts.
Old 06-02-22, 02:34 PM

Officer Service Dress
IMG_20201223_194919.jpg
WWI
IMG_20201228_101443.jpg
WW2
Unless somebody knows different
Old 06-02-22, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckford View Post
The IWM has some photos of the badge being worn, by officers of 1/5th Bn -https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205294025
and https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205293009
Clive
I believe this is the standard OSD badge with the tablet but the cap strap obscures all but the top edge of the tablet.

If you compare the length of the base of the badge and height of Britannia’s trident tip in the IWM photo conforms it to the first OSD badge rather than the WW2 type.

Obviously I cannot comment on the photo the 3 officers as I’ve not seen it.
Old 06-02-22, 03:16 PM

Thanks. I was beginning to doubt myself!

Neil. Thank you for the post. (I was hoping to catch you at the last Thetford but I guess you decided to not set up shop?)

Luke. As ever thank you. I did wonder about the photo of that officer but you confirm what I suspected; that the strap partly obscured the tablet. I'd be interested to see the photo quoted in the book of the three officers. I'm guessing they show the accepted versions of the Norfolk OSD being worn. I'll wait until I can handle a copy to look at in a local book shop.
Old 06-02-22, 03:28 PM

There is a digital Kindle sample of the book available on Amazon, and iff to does help give some insight into the information contained within the book itself.