British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 24-11-13, 08:57 PM

Default Enough is enough

I have also posted the following on a lengthy post from AndyD in relation to the identification and sale of a collection of badge he purchased:

I discovered this forum by chance and became a member because I found that there was a membership of extremely knowledgeable people, of which the vast majority were willing to offer advice, share their knowledge and impart much valuable information in respect of badges.

This, as I understood it, was what this forum was about....the pursuit and sharing of knowledge.

Over the past few weeks we have been bombarded with requests for information and now over run with offers of sales from Member AndyD.

I will refer members to his initial post in respect of the items he wanted identifying and is now trying to offload.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=35871

Please note the opening line.

So what do you know about in relation to badges then Andy?

You have been a member since 2009.....what have you learnt from the vast data base on this forum..........obviously bugger all.

Over the past few weeks, you have posed questions and offered items, and you appear to have one objective only....sell this large collection you purchased, but have absolutely no idea of what you have........why not?

You appear have not to have taken any advice to research the items and from the manner in which you have received replies to your offers, have upset some members along the way.

What exactly are you on this forum for??

How can you have been a member since 2009 and not have any knowledge in respect of badges; you stated in your initial post, "I haven't a clue when it comes to badges!"

Why haven't you learnt anything?

Yes, this is is an ideal platform to buy and sell genuine items, yes it is a great place to learn and share knowledge, but now I've had enough.

I joined to learn and if possible, to share my knowledge and passion with others who desire the same and if members asked for information or assistance in relation to item hoped that it would be freely given.........but not to be continually bombarded with requests about a subject that a member should have an idea about, even if an embryonic one.

But coming on here, garnering knowledge and then off loading items based on what you've learnt from here......as far as I'm concerned, you can smear your entire collection with butter and shove it up your arse.

Pissed off and now I'm gone.
Old 24-11-13, 09:03 PM

I know a little about badges.
I came here to seek help in identifying badges and help with telling good from bad,many members have helped for which I'm grateful.

As for selling them on here,would you rather me get the help from here and then sell them on ebay?

Andy
Old 24-11-13, 09:10 PM

Forget it.

Last edited by AndyD; 24-11-13 at 11:27 PM.
Old 24-11-13, 09:13 PM

Right,once the current deals for my badges are concluded I'll remove the rest and sell them at a fair I do occasionally.

Happy now?

Last edited by AndyD; 24-11-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 24-11-13, 11:24 PM

Just to be transparent to every one in case it is thought I offered 'peanuts' (post 3 now edited) for the Berkshire Yeomanry I offered £15 for the cap badge- not having been able to find a price for the Lambourne version badge. This based on being the under bidder on what I think was a good one on ebay some weeks ago, which was the usual version, and went for just under £15. I expressed my interest to Andy when he 1st showed the badge- linked him to the ebay auction to show what the badge I missed went for and then with his posts tried to give any help I could with his badges and advised him how a buyer researches a badge to find high and low prices- to decide on a fair price to pay. I would have been willing to go to £20.
I may well have been out on price- but I do not collect Yeomanry, but live in Berkshire not far from the chalk 'wonky donkey' nicked by Oxfordshire in county boundary changes.
In the end Andy initially wanted £30 for the badge and this may have been because there was a similar shaped sweetheart badge on ebay that went for just under that price.
I guess I had no right to expect it but after I had tried to help Andy I had hoped not to be asked the highest price he could find for a similar badge.
I was left feeling my openness in being keen to obtain the badge was being used. Perhaps this was over sensitive.
Anyway that's just to make things clear to other members. We all know how it is hard to come up with 'make me an offer' price that both parties are happy with- If I was well under with my offer it was not intentional. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 24-11-13 at 11:30 PM.
Old 24-11-13, 11:35 PM

Forget it,it's not worth bickering about!
Old 25-11-13, 04:22 AM

"you can smear your entire collection with butter and shove it up your arse" Very humorous - thanks for the laugh!

Best regards to both parties involved in this discord.

William
Old 25-11-13, 06:56 AM

Default Badge prices.

I don't know either member involved in this discussion but all I would say is a badge , any badge, is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and as for offering advice , my knowledge is extremely limited but I have a few good reference books and am quite happy to give any advice I can free, gratis and for nothing without expecting reductions in exchange for that advice.
Old 25-11-13, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Now look what you've done - he is in the corner all alone.

Enough is enough. Can personal tirades please stop and get back to the topic of badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teddy2.JPG (4.0 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 25-11-13 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 25-11-13, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Enough is enough. Can perosnal tirades please stop and get back to the topic of badges.
If we don't follow Alans request there will soon come a time when there will be little point in having the Forum which would be a shame because it is a great source on all aspects of military history.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-11-13, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Now look what you've done - he is in the corner all alone.

Enough is enough. Can personal tirades please stop and get back to the topic of badges.
I am sure Alan and co would like to would like to keep there site just badges, so lets all help them keep it that way, and no stray to far of topic.
Thanks Alan and co for the very best badge forum.
Old 25-11-13, 08:25 PM

And good one liners!
Old 25-11-13, 08:53 PM

Brian must surely now be the Anchor man for the Forum
Wilf.
Old 25-11-13, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Brian must surely now be the Anchor man for the Forum
Wilf.
Our very own Marlon Brando.
Old 25-11-13, 10:12 PM

What the heck is wrong with you British Badge Collectors?? We Canadian Collectors do not seem to have these problems. We all seem to get along and no blow ups or name calling (that I can recall).

I read most of the posts as I have a desire to learn about all things badge related. But honestly, I am about ready to go back to my own area and stay there. All this bickering is just becoming tiresome.

Now let them toss stuff at me for my observation and comments.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Closed Thread