British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-13, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
I really (really, really) do not know why anyone would still use Microsoft products (IE & Outlook).

They are the most issue riddled products in their field, and because of their popularity, hackers spend time on them.

Get yourselves onto Firefox or Opera, and get one of the free (AVG or Avast) virus checkers. Better still, buy yourself a Mac.

Most importantly of all, stop clicking on links in emails!!!

Be careful out there!

Andy C
I don't click on links in emails. Haven't since I started using the web. I have on AOL the ability to check the email before you open it. I have only ever clicked on a link for the British Badge Forum since i joined..... I didn't think I had to watch those notifications. I was wrong, what can I say. So if anyone PM's me etc etc, it may take some time to answer as I turned off all notifications.

And as regards the lap top. It's company supplied. I was on MAC in my last company.

Gentleman, I don;t need all this advice on computers, I am well informed etc etc on operating systems and computers.

I just wanted to post a warning so anyone else can be informed to be wary of previously OK notifications.
Old 28-11-13, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi Mike, That was the only email I opened that I clicked on a link, I don;t do that for any other than the forum emails. Everything else goes to the span folder. And yes, when I clicked on the link nothing came up, just a blank page if I remember. I thought at the time that the forum server was having issues, and closed it. Then went out for the day.

I came back to an email from a forum member as I said, and a ton of returned email notifications.

When I check the roum later in the day, and saw that the text shown in the original notification wasn't on the thread I put two and two together.

Regards
Simon.

Well it will be easy to test what you would receive under the conditions I've mentioned. I've subscribed to the thread. If someone could go an post something in it for me (probably best if I don't post as I'm sure it won't generate an email for me!) then I'll delete the test post and come back here and tell you how the email behaves.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=36100

volunteer to post "test" in the above thread please?
Old 28-11-13, 04:59 PM

Done for you Mike
Old 28-11-13, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Well.

This is what the email looked like:

When I clicked the link it took me to the last post (now yours Simon), even though I had deleted Phil's

So yes something went wrong with your email. Sure you completely deleted it? It's not just sitting in your deleted items folder?
Old 28-11-13, 06:18 PM

Hi Mike, yes I'm afraid. Deleted and emptied automatically from my trash folder.

If I remember the content of the message art was a request from someone to accept his friend request if one came through.

Simon.
Old 28-11-13, 06:47 PM
Administrator

I see, I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought it was a subscription email to the thread mentioned above.

The friend request email would link back to your profile "contact/friends list" so it would take you to the login page (assuming you were not logged in at the time).

If there is a genuine friend request it should still show in your control panel somewhere.
Old 28-11-13, 08:10 PM
Former Member

Now it appears Badger is sending Bogus emails!

This again has a single common denominator!

Andy
Old 28-11-13, 08:45 PM

If there's a common denominator Andy its the person who complained in the first place as it seems to be coming from that direction!

As of this evening I've had shed loads of junk emails sent from to and from my email address so thanks for that.
Old 28-11-13, 09:13 PM
Administrator

I don't know why you think it's the forum.

The Originating IP of the spam email you sent to me is this:

There is a vast amount of info on the Hacking of BT /Yahoo email accounts
that mention that IP address:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=65...2+spam&start=0

As soon as someone on here with lots of badge collecting contacts gets their email contact list hacked then we will receive spam. Spam might also be generated as if it originates from each person in the original hacked list as well, not just the owner of the list.

It will just go on and on.
Old 28-11-13, 09:14 PM
Administrator

I've just received one from Ivan (Allegedly ) same originating IP as above.
Old 28-11-13, 09:39 PM
Former Member

Mike,
Sorry, I am not blaming the Forum.... Just the fact that all the spurious emails appear to have come from Forum members!

Andy