British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-16, 11:54 AM

Default Travel to Oman

I am planning a one-week vacation with my girlfriends, and we're 90% sure on Oman. We'll stay in a resort not far from Salalah, and I was thinking of taking a quick trip to Mirbat, renting a driver/Guide and spend a couple of hours there.

Will it be feasible? Any suggestions/connection? Any other interesting stuff I may see there (relevant to the Dhofar "war").

One other thing, we're flying from Italy to Muscat (with a very short layover, no time for getting out of the airport), and from Muscat to Salalah, my concern is that the Omani Customs/Border Police may create problems because I have Israeli Visa on my passport, do you know if it's possible? I've previously travelled to Egypt & Jordan with Israeli visas, with out any issue.

Thanks a lot!

E*
Old 19-10-16, 01:37 PM

AFAIK Israeli stamps prohibit you from entry.... but I may be thinking of the wrong place as I occasionally get confused with these countries. https://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2...assport-stamp/

Last edited by Unknownsoldier; 19-10-16 at 06:47 PM.
Old 19-10-16, 03:54 PM

I don't think you will find it a problem. Muscat Immigration is very relaxed.

Travel to Mirbat is very simple, I am pretty sure there is a hard top road all the way. Just leave Salalah and follow the coast road to the East. The fort is still there but much prettified.

I'd just ask you to remember that there were lots of local troops there apart from the SAS and one of them, a gunner called Walid Khamis, won the Omani equivalent of the VC.

Dhofar is at it's prettiest right now as the monsoon (Khareef) has just ended.

Eddie

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 19-10-16 at 03:59 PM.
Old 19-10-16, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
I don't think you will find it a problem. Muscat Immigration is very relaxed.

Travel to Mirbat is very simple, I am pretty sure there is a hard top road all the way. Just leave Salalah and follow the coast road to the East. The fort is still there but much prettified.

I'd just ask you to remember that there were lots of local troops there apart from the SAS and one of them, a gunner called Walid Khamis, won the Omani equivalent of the VC.

Dhofar is at it's prettiest right now as the monsoon (Khareef) has just ended.

Eddie
Some more info (and thanks Eddie for the reply). Travel will take place in the first week of January, and will not have access to any mean of transportation, as we'll be drove from the Airport to the resort by te resort contrated staff. So I must get some kind of local guide/driver (and maybe some permits?) to drive me and be an interpreter.

Just finding out that the resort I ma be staying in is the Marriot, which is at Mirbat. So definitely things are easier...

Thanks, and looking forward to get more feed-backs on the "collector" side...

E*
Old 20-10-16, 09:47 AM

Take a deep breath, hire a car and dive in! No need for permits, guides or interpreters, many people speak English and they are the most hospitable people on earth.

This map is the one you want: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oman-Dhofa...wAAOSwzaJYBZG4

On the collecting side you might find some badges or older British silver medals in Souk silversmiths, but I doubt it.

One tip - it will be dying out now but at one time you could tell if a civilian was ex-army as he would be wearing an army black check on green shamagh worn like a turban. It was/is illegal for a non-veteran to wear one.

Eddie
Old 20-10-16, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
Take a deep breath, hire a car and dive in! No need for permits, guides or interpreters, many people speak English and they are the most hospitable people on earth.

This map is the one you want: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oman-Dhofa...wAAOSwzaJYBZG4

On the collecting side you might find some badges or older British silver medals in Souk silversmiths, but I doubt it.

One tip - it will be dying out now but at one time you could tell if a civilian was ex-army as he would be wearing an army black check on green shamagh worn like a turban. It was/is illegal for a non-veteran to wear one.

Eddie
Thanks a lot Eddie...

E*