British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-20, 01:26 PM

Default Special Force wine

Hi All
A friend of mine recently got this bottle of wine, labelled to the French 1st Marine Parachute Regiment. Does anybody here know what it may be for? Commemorate a battle, regimental anniversary etc etc? Is there any value to something like this, collectable? He is a wine collector. Thanks in advance, cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20200903-WA0003.jpg (24.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-09-20, 02:17 PM
MarkGD

Hi Alex, thanks for sharing, nice thing, as we know the French are big wine drinkers. No reason why they wouldn't have their own 'branded' table wine. French Military also have 'issued' wine at meals. Regards Mark
Old 05-09-20, 04:47 PM

Smile

Not just the French.

I am sure there are images on here somewhere from an old thread of SAS labelled wine. Apparently you have to drink it with gaffer tape over your eyes
Old 05-09-20, 05:21 PM

And don't forget my old Darwin naval reunion mango wine......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191030_120909520_2.jpg (24.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191030_121031005_2.jpg (47.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-09-20, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crest-insignia View Post
Not just the French.

I am sure there are images on here somewhere from an old thread of SAS labelled wine. Apparently you have to drink it with gaffer tape over your eyes
But on the bright side, the gaffer tape means you're alive.
Old 06-09-20, 02:36 AM

Hi there,

No need for gaffer tape over eyes here as 1er RPIMA is the sole paratroop regiment in France which has inherited from the traditions of the ww2 free french SAS units.
A friend of mine who unfortunately passed away recently was one of these gallant men who risked their lives escaping occupied France by the Pyrenees, then interned in Franco’s camp in Spain, then transferred to North Africa / UK, then f..f SAS. Three operational drops & missions, as part of f.f. SAS sticks (2nd Squadron, 3rd SAS) behind the ennemy lines, between August 1944 and April 45 (ops Derry, Abel, Amherst).

A small tribute to my friend’s memory: http://www.francaislibres.net/liste/...p?index=110367

Not only from the f.f. SAS traditions has 1er RPIMA inherited, but it is also still today one of our (guess where I am from ) special operations regiments, which men are dropped in places where they are not supposed to be (alike your SAS units)... So conducting same type of ops as british SAS units do.

This regiment is stationned in Bayonne, SW France, and one of my brothers in law served in it too.

As a f.f. SAS veteran, and living quite close of Bayonne, at the end of his life, my friend Rene was often invited to official 1er RPIMA ceremonies, in Bayonne, and I would suspect & wish that he might have enjoyed himself similar bottles content in many occasions.

Back to the initial questions: no real idea of this wine market price, but would guess not high price, as not a Grand Cru.
No special reason needed for this special order, as correctly mentioned above, we love wine in France, are blessed to have plenty of good ones, and it’s quite common practice here to order special Cuvees & bottles, with customized stickers & labels, either for military units, business companies, private people. No special mention for particular reason indicated on this bottle’s sticker (even no year/millesime, from what I can read).

This being said, Costieres de Nimes is a known Appellation Controlee from SE of France, which gives strong & pretty good wines. So if I were your friend Ralf, I would open & enjoy tasting and drinking it, in good company: he shouldn’t be disappointed.

Cheers,

JD

Last edited by Lemataf; 06-09-20 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-09-20, 09:23 AM

Thanks JD, that's great info!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 06-09-20, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crest-insignia View Post
Not just the French.

Here is the thread :

SAS Wine and Australian DFA Port

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 06-09-20, 10:33 AM

Thanks Mike.