British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-17, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ticker' Riley View Post
Hi Thomas

Many thanks for the reply, and for clarifying things for me. I suppose what we really need is someone who actually worked in the industry at the time, and who might then know about the gilding processes at the time? Anyhow, thank you again for putting me on the straight and narrow with gilt and gilding - much appreciated.

Best regards

Martin
Martin,

Nobbysr may be able to provide you with some information as he is rather knowledgeable when it comes to the gilt/silver finish on officers badges.

Regards,

FMT600
Old 27-01-17, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
it might be related to what Major Edwards stated in the first (1951) edition of his celebrated ‘Regimental Badges’ - that ‘great changes [to badges] are afoot’ and specifically that ‘In future all officer’s badges, normally made in silver, will be in silver plate’.
I don't think so, going from solid silver to only plated was strictly a cost reducing measure, relating to production, not finish. At the time officers were to get an allowance to buy their kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
I have a hunch that "frosted" silver superseded "silver plate" but I might be wrong - in any case, I'd love to know when FS first appeared !
Silver plate can also be finished as frosted, I would think, again, one is a production process, the other a finish.

I believe the earliest KO(S)B officers helmet and glengarry badges were described as having the cross in burnished silver, suggesting the rest was to be in a duller finish.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 28-01-17, 08:00 AM

Thank you Thomas for these definitions,

In the first instance, was Edwards referring to a future time when officers obtained their badges as issue ?? When did officer's badges become issue ? I do know however that it was in the late 1940s that officer's and OR's badges were to be of the same design, shape and size. This comes from a WO document dealing with the introduction of what became King's Regt Patt 14312/1950 in March 1950 - though it does not mention metals !

As for frosted, I only know that the two badges I have in this finish (yes !) are definitely post-war.
Old 28-01-17, 08:48 PM

special Army Order 54/1947, Dress for the Army-Notification of Post-War Changes, which if I recall correctly you sent me, states under Appendix B:
2 Provisions and method of upkeep.
(i) Officers [Regular Army and Auxiliary Forces]
Initial grant of money allowance to buy items of standard kit. Method of maintenance is still under consideration.

See http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=44526 post #13.

I can´t seem to find the relevant document dealing with the same design of officers and OR´s badges at the moment, but it must have been in 1949 according to an article on RE badges in Crown Imperial magazine:

In 1949 an Army Instruction was issued which directed that badges of ALL RANKS were to be of the same design, bronze (or OSD) badges were to be discontinued. This resulted in the RE badge being made in two parts and two metals, the wreath in silver, the garter, cypher and crown in gilding metal.

Rgds, Thomas.

Tags
gilding, leicestershire, leicestershire regiment