British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-02-14, 12:19 AM

Default Canadian Signals on EBay

I think it's a sweetheart.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131116758571?...84.m1423.l2649

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 14-02-14, 01:08 AM

Phil,
I thought so as well when I first looked but it appears to be the correct size for the cap badge. My officer's cap badge is the large one while the sweethearts are the small ones. Cap badge sized sweetheart maybe?
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0006.jpg (58.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg scan0007.jpg (44.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 14-02-14, 01:56 AM

Hello Gents,

The item listed on eBay is NOT an officers' cap badge, but a sweetheart pin as you have suspected. The following link refers:

http://rcsigs.ca/ViewItem/314/

I sent the vendor a message explaining this, in the hope that he will edit his listing with a correct description so as not to mislead potential bidders. Currently, the bid is over $360 USD, which would be expected for an authentic officers' badge. The sweetheart pins usually sell for $50-$70. Me thinks someone may end up with a severe case of buyer's remorse.

Nice collection Gary. Thanks for sharing! Cheers,

Walt

Last edited by Walt P; 14-02-14 at 02:03 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 14-02-14, 06:29 AM

Interesting reply from vendor:

My message to him:

Dear williamtcross,

You may appreciate to learn that this badge is NOT an officer cap badge, but in fact a "sweetheart pin".

His response:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Not According to my father, who owns the Charlton Press, And wrote the book on WWI badges.

Just an FYI, for your info,

and if it were a sweetheart pin, why is it at 152.00?

I believe you are incorrect

- williamtcross

Apparently his father is W.K. Cross, author of "The Charlton Standard Catalogue of First World War Canadian Corps Badges" and "The Charlton Standard Catalogue of First World War Canadian Infantry Badges".

Walt
Old 14-02-14, 10:25 AM

Default Cabadian Signal Corps

Dear Friends

I have already made a comment on the current ebay Canadian Signal Corps badge and as other members say it is a sweetheart badge. My thought as well.

It makes no difference as to who the sellers father was and what books he has written. His father could be wrong and I believe he is.

8Husars lovely collection of sweetheart badges and one genuine Officers cap badge are more than enough to show how many sweetheart badges are around.

Several more well known authors have been proven incorrect (Kipling & King) and several more.

I believe the gentleman selling this badge should accept the truth but seems not to want to. As he says look at the price some people are prepared to pay and with some six days to go the price is at $360 US.

Strange

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 14-02-14, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt P View Post
Interesting reply from vendor:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Not According to my father, who owns the Charlton Press, And wrote the book on WWI badges.

Just an FYI, for your info,

and if it were a sweetheart pin, why is it at 152.00?

I believe you are incorrect

- williamtcross
Because some pillock is advertising it as an officers badge and (some) people will believe anything told to them?

Dear oh dear......
Old 15-02-14, 02:43 AM

Wow. Just wow. At that price maybe it's time I start selling off my examples.

It's a lot of money for something that is 100% a sweetheart badge. It appears to be a better version of variation 6 shown on my website at the link Walt provided. (http://rcsigs.ca/ViewItem/314/). Walt, since the original photo for that item came from you maybe you should buy this one and give me the old chipped one.....
Old 15-02-14, 03:11 PM

Default CSC Hatbadge (Pin)

"8th Hussars" very nice image of some great badges/pins. Would you be willing to have your image posted in the Badge Project. If so please email me.

I agree with the comments on the badge/pin. I have one in my collection that is it's exact twin. Same obverse marks, in the same position. Same clasp. Same front style/color. It is a very nice Pin (Sweetheart Pin).
Old 17-02-14, 01:12 PM

I sent the following message to the vendor last Friday in hope that he would edit his eBay listing. As of today, no change. Greed trumps ethics.

Dear williamtcross,

Please check out the following URL for info on sweetheart pins (you'll have to type it into your browser):

The officer cap badge is larger 43mm x 43mm, the semaphore flags are the ONLY enamelled portion of the badge and are coloured white & dark blue, and the metal of manufacture is brass or fire gilt brass. I have attached 2 photos for comparison.

Furthermore, I own a copy of your father's "First World War Canadian Corps Badges", and the photos & descriptions do not allow a novice collector to differentiate between the government issued cap badge, and the privately purchased sweetheart pins.

My reason for contacting you is not one of hostility, and I realize that you are not intentionally attempting to post misleading information. However, I firmly believe that items for sale on eBay should be properly described to the best of the vendor's knowledge in order to give a prospective bidder a fair & honest chance at knowing what they may be purchasing. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Walt P; 18-02-14 at 04:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 17-02-14, 03:54 PM

Default CSC Sweetheart Badge on ebay.

Dear WaltP and all.

Although there seems to be 15 bids for the Non-CSC Cap badge. with three days to go it is up to $300 plus. There are only three separate bidders not the 15 people I had originally thought.

You pays you money and takes your chance. What I am trying to say is there is one born every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet if Joe C sold his three they would not come to this figure.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 18-02-14, 12:29 AM

The vendor doesn't give up easily... LOL

Quote:
Dear williamtcross,

That's a beautiful sweetheart pin. Just curious why you're trying to sell it as an officer's cap badge?

- chelsea-antiques
Reply...

Quote:
Dear chelsea-antiques,

That's because you are wrong there is no conclusive proof that it is

n 1914-1918 officer’s dress uniforms were not completely cover by GO (general orders). Due to the times and the individual nature of the officers they wore pretty much what they wanted for dress uniforms. As the war went on HQ became more involved in generating GO’s to cover all things.

It is almost impossible to say If that badge did not start out as a Cap Badge tuning into a Sweetheart Pin By 1920.

Cheers
William

- williamtcross
Old 18-02-14, 03:56 AM

Joe has the General Orders on his site. There's no wiggle room.

http://www.rcsigs.ca/ViewAuthority/6/

Phil

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 18-02-14, 12:33 PM

It's a lovely sweetheart pin anyhow.
Old 18-02-14, 05:19 PM

And it goes on...like a pit bull on a bone...

Quote:
Dear williamtcross,

1908 G.O. 33

Orders and Authorities > 1908 G.O. 33

Description:
Canadian Signalling Corps.-- A Cap and Collar badge, as described hereunder, is authorized for the use of officers, non commissioned officers and men of the Canadian Signalling Corps :--
Cap and Collar Badge.
A scroll, bearing the motto "Velox, Versutus, Vigilans," surmounted with a spray of maple leaves on either side. Crossed signalling flags supporting the monogram "C.S.C." The whole surmounted by a Tudor Crown.
For officers, in gilded metal with the flags enamelled, one blue and one white with blue stripe.

Effective Date: Mar 1908

- chelsea-antiques
Reply...

Quote:
Dear chelsea-antiques,

Yes and that describes this badge

Gilded metal does not mean silver or brass

- williamtcross
----------------------

Quote:
Dear williamtcross,

Read it again...only the flags are to be enamelled. This is the proper pattern.

http://rcsigs.ca/ViewItem/119/

These are sweetheart pins...

- chelsea-antiques
Reply... Keep Calm, Joe...

Quote:
Dear chelsea-antiques,

Sorry this web site you are quoting in inconsistent and incorrect, I have this from a very good source. Actually WK Cross the Author and publisher of the Charlton Press. Who is my father.

Have a great day

- williamtcross

Last edited by Rob Dekker; 18-02-14 at 05:27 PM.
Old 18-02-14, 05:55 PM

It doesn't say anything in his father's precious book that the badge was ever made in sterling silver. Mr Cross senior must have made a mistake.

Phil

Tags
canadian signals