British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-05-08, 10:31 PM
peter616

Alan

don't like them these where made in the 1970s

peter

Moderator comment - please read to end of the thread which shows this comment to be highly dubious and ill informed due to an identical badge coming from the Hugh King collection and sold at Bosley's auctions in Jul 12.

Last edited by Alan O; 30-07-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 31-05-08, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

That is a bit disappoinyting if only becasue that is the badge shown in the 2003 Edn of Gaylor's book. Same sail arrangement and straight sided 'N'. You would have thought that they could have found a genuine one to show.

Alan
Old 01-06-08, 03:48 PM

What is the provenance of the 70s claim? Would like to know. I have the same straight N variation. If making a copy in the 70s why make such an error unless they were meant to be detectable fakes!?

More info readily recieved.

Thanks

TRT

NB I have a distant relative who served in the Nelson Battalion and died 13/11, buried Ancre British Cemetery on the Somme. I really need a genuine one for my collection but dont want to rule the one I have out yet!

TRT
Old 19-12-08, 04:04 PM

Default Is there a difference?

To my untrained eye, given the slightly different angles of the two Nelson badges in the pictures it looks to me like the first upright of the first N is angled away from vertical at the bottom of the letter whilst the other 3 uprights of the two Ns are vertical. Is that what is meant by 'straight N', that very first upright? -- Ray
Old 01-01-09, 07:18 PM

Default Fuel to the debate?

Gents - The attached shows a couple of supposedly HOWE badges. One is slidered and does not have the sails voided so is deemed a fake (it is the same size as a lugged version I have that also does not have voided areas around the sails and again a fake). The other one is the intriguing one - it is smaller in size than the others which might normally suggest collar or officer's perhaps (but there seems to be no reference to these anywhere). The design of the scroll and the sails is totally different and it is solid at the back. What do you reckon - a very bad attempt to replicate a badge? _ -_ Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howe.jpg (21.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-05-09, 12:17 AM

Default RND Hood Badge - Give it to me straight!

Here are some pics of an RND Hood Bn cap badge I recently purchased. Shortly after the auction ended I got a mysterious e-mail telling me this was a fake and that the person knew me from the badge forum (their e-bay user name is not on the members list and they didn't respond when I asked for their BBF user name. My e-bay name is not the same as my BBF name, though my avatar is...).

Anyway, it got me thinking and now I'm not sure where I stand with this badge. One thing I know I can count on with this group is no holds barred - so give it to me straight!

Thanks, Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood Front.jpg (82.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Hood Back.jpg (86.4 KB, 199 views)
Old 05-05-09, 06:19 AM
peter616

Hi Ian

how big is the badge it looks like a collar

peter
Old 05-05-09, 06:25 AM

Looks a genuine badge to me. The tawse, wing and tail all look correct.
Bill.

Last edited by mtrpltpara; 05-05-09 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 07:27 PM

Default Hood badge

Well, it's got loops which is a good start, I am not keen on the position of the plaque, IMO I would have thought it would have been better higher up, such as on the back of the bird. It almost seems to be falling off the badge.
Old 05-05-09, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
Hi Ian

how big is the badge it looks like a collar

peter
Hi Peter,

The badge is about 40 mm high by 33 mm wide...

Thanks all for your comments. See next post for the specific issues brought up by the mysterious e-mailer.

Cheers, Ian.
Old 05-05-09, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
Could it be that someone was just annoyed that you placed the winning bid? I would have thought that he would have identified himself to you if he was genuine.
Hi James,

I thought the same thing - shame if it's a member of the forum though.

Btw, the points raised by the mysterious e-mailer:

- location of plaque
- font used for JR Gaunt mark
- colour of badge
- thickness of metal (though not that thin in my opinion and unbendable)
- slight "feet" on lugs

Interestingly, I have a Lord Strathcona's Horse badge with identical Gaunt plaque and almost identical lugs.

Cheers, Ian.

Last edited by whizzbang; 05-05-09 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 06-05-09, 06:19 AM

Ian,

I would hang onto it. Many of the so-called experts have been proven wrong in the past. I nearly confined a Drake to the bin based on "expert" advice but remembered the origins of it. There were other manufacturers of these badges during the war. As a result of the discussion on mine and the others purchased at the same time another member retrieved an original Nelson from his restrikes bin. It was good to see the emailer gave reasons though and it would be worth seeing if others have similar characteristics as yours

I don't know how the mysterious emailer can determine how thin it is from the photographs. Mine, which is an original, has the same crisp stamping as yours and looks thin from the rear but is unbendable. Mine is 40mm from the top of the anchor to the bottom of the HOOD and 33mm across the scroll, so yours is a cap badge. The design is pretty much the same as yours but it doesn't have a Gaunt plate.

Hope it turns out to be a good'un.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chrisr; 06-05-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-05-09, 07:00 PM
peter616

Hi look like your is a collar here the ones in my collection

peter

HOOD RND.jpg

HOOD RND (1).jpg
Old 06-05-09, 07:32 PM

I am not convinced! The Gaunt tablet does not do it for me and also the tablet is usually found on the rear body of bird. I am not sure re the badge also because I dont like the rear.

Whilst I cannot say for definate, I would not have bought it. Problem is with RND......well we all know. I bought my Hood from the Stratford fair. I like it but will I ever know?

Sorry to be seemingly unhelpful

TRT
Old 06-05-09, 10:08 PM

Ian,
this is a bit of a puzzle.......
I have an exactly identical cap(right size here) badge to this one , but without the tablet. Very well made & with some decent looking age & lugs, strongly made, though a little 'weak' in it's colour.?
I am about 60% in favour that it may be an OK( & not often seen) version. But am still not totally convinced here.
IMO, I doubt it is a Gaunt pattern badge though. Refer to Paddy's RND album for a clear & correct Gaunt style badge & tablet. Especially note the lettering style & Torse positioning/cutting by comparison !
The tablet here would seem to be a later addition then ???
I am also unhappy with this actual tablet ,as I think it is in the wrong place & has far too much 'waste space' around the letters by comparison to most others that I've seen. (Most also show a thin 'clip-off' line on the bottom edge.)
Can you give the dimensions of the tablet & possibly lettering height, please ?

Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 06-05-09 at 10:37 PM.

Tags
drake, hood, howe, nelson, rnd, royal naval division