British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-08, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Chaps,
Thank you for your help. Looking through Bosley's lists shows up some more Woodwards economies so the question is are mine OK or fakes like the MY one?

Alan
Alan,

The lettering on your's matches the good ones as does the slider with crimp line... if you look at the restrike MY the letters are taller and slimmer, a bit gaunt-esque and that's not a stereotypical Woodwards or even a nice slider on that MY either. I'd say your's are genuine.

E.Surreys and solid ASC are pretty common as economies go, faking a MY would be worth considerably more and if the best they can manage (with all respect) is a very late looking slider (form a companies typically early production badges) and letter stamping that doesn't look right, then for them to have made a better job of a less expensive ASC and E.Surrey defeats the point.

I'm sure yours are OK with the 'yellow' colour attributable to Woodwards suppliers and the way they have been kept over the years.

But as I told Spencer, badge collecting is all about getting a badge you're happy with and sometimes a genuine one doesn't necessarily fulfill that. ................................................. (by that what I mean is getting a GENUINE badge which doesn't necessarily DO - IT for you and replacing it with a GENUINE one that DOES DO IT for you - like the fact that Alan is maybe after a less yellow E.Surrey) - I am not nor ever will advocate restrikes, I don't even buy them as 'GAP FILLERS' as I feel that strongly about them. Hope that clears it up.

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 23-03-08 at 08:29 PM.
Old 23-03-08, 08:16 PM

Luke,
What are you talking about ?That last paragraph is absolute rubbish a genuine badge is exactly that.GENUINE.For some one that wants to collect genuine badges how coulde a fake badge satisfy Spencer ?
Bantam
Old 23-03-08, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Luke,
What are you talking about ?That last paragraph is absolute rubbish a genuine badge is exactly that.GENUINE.For some one that wants to collect genuine badges how coulde a fake badge satisfy Spencer ?
Bantam
WOW there,

Bantam I'm talking about getting a genuine badge that isn't very nice and replacing it with another 'nicer' (one you like the tone of better, nicer slider, better strike, more age, more signs of bull etc) GENUINE badge when you come across one...

like if you have a real badge with a replaced slider, as soon as you can you'll replace it with a genuine one with an original slider right?

That's all I was getting at, I've loads of badges that are real and am happy are so but if I see one with a more 'seductive' patina, with a nicer slider and polished just how I like it... I'll buy it (as long as the price is ok).

Get me now? Sorry if I was less than clear.

Regards,

Luke
Old 23-03-08, 08:44 PM

I understand where your coming from Luke, i have two genuine badges with repaired/replaced lugs in my collection, but if other genuine ones come my way they will be replaced.

Cheers
Malc

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 09:44 PM.
Old 23-03-08, 08:45 PM

Luke,
That certainly clarifies the point I understand now the point you were making.I suppose after reading all that has been written about copies,fakes restrikes I'm getting a bit touchy on the subject.
The great thing about this forum as a badge collecting fraternity is that we share our knowledge for the benefit of everyone.Knowledge is a great gift.
Regards'
Bantam
Old 23-03-08, 10:45 PM

Alan,
Front & Back pics of a non-Woodward ASC solid....

Cheers !
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic564.JPG (83.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Pic563.JPG (90.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 24-03-08, 07:29 AM

The King's Lpl Rgt did not have a "brass economy" badge, but I'd be interested if any one has seen a Kings badge with this FW name on - I'm getting intrigued.
Julian
Old 24-03-08, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
The King's Lpl Rgt did not have a "brass economy" badge, but I'd be interested if any one has seen a Kings badge with this FW name on - I'm getting intrigued.
Julian
Julian,

If such a badge turns up it would be very bad news indeed for all economy FE Woodwards. So in the best possible way I hope I nor anyone else ever see's one ever! If they do I'm going to pack it all in. .... maybe

Luke
Old 24-03-08, 10:01 PM

most "all brass" King's Regt badges purporting to be "economy" badges are 5th Bn badges "cleaned" of their blackening ... or fakes
Old 01-04-08, 10:28 AM

Default E. Surrey Economy

Alan, Picked this up at Farnham on Sunday, thought you'd like to see it, all the best, Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img440.jpg (81.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-04-08, 10:32 AM

Default E.Surrey Economy

And the front, could only post 1 pic !! Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img439.jpg (85.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-04-08, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Wilf,

Many thanks. They are a pretty good match and appear to come from the same die. If mine is original then it has either been kept in very agreeable conditions or given a thorugh (possibly chemically) clean.

Alan
Old 01-04-08, 11:02 AM

Just wondering if there is any reason why on wilfs badges FE Woodwards Bham goes from the bottom of the slider to the top, and Alans top to bottom.

Cheers
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img440.jpg (81.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg economies%20FE%20Woodward%20004.jpg (51.8 KB, 32 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 26-03-12, 07:08 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Just wondering if there is any reason why on wilfs badges FE Woodwards Bham goes from the bottom of the slider to the top, and Alans top to bottom.

Cheers
Malc
Malc,

I realise I am four years late with this post , but...

here is the same opposing maker's stamp on two ACC badges:

ACC 1.jpgACC 2.jpg

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 27-03-12 at 06:40 AM.
Old 26-03-12, 07:16 PM

Default FE Woodward

Has anyone ever done any checks that FE Woodward actually existed? Do they appear in Company's House records, or Kelly's Directories. If the company didn't exist that may help to clear things up.

Stephen.

Tags
economy, inniskilling, woodwards