British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-12-19, 03:11 PM

Default Gurkha independent parachute company question

Am I correct that the small badge with crossed kukri and parachute above is a collar badge or was it not worn at all. I understand that the standard Parachute Regiment badge was adopted in 1966 with special backing.
Old 01-12-19, 04:53 PM

Default some pictures

couple of pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gurkha1.jpg (48.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg gurkha2.jpg (43.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-12-19, 05:25 PM
MarkGD

AI, thanks for sharing, not seen one of those before. Regards Mark
Old 01-12-19, 05:39 PM

Me neither, very wary of this kind of badge but it turned up fairly innocently with a Gurkha Artillery badge. It is constructed like a collar badge. I have my doubts about whether it was worn.
Old 01-12-19, 05:53 PM
MarkGD

AI, further to the above, from a popular auction site:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-A...kAAOSwIRhd3CSK

I don't know if original, but looks very similar to/highly likely to be a regimental track suit badge of the time. Regards Mark
Old 02-12-19, 12:46 PM

Gents, there is a thread on this, but briefly these were never official or issued. A batch were made privately the design being that used on the company letterheads. Events took over and they became affiliated to the Para Reg. They wore the Para Reg cap badge on a rifle green backing with two vertical strips of brigade ribbon. Tim has on for sale on the sales thread.
The ones made were given to the Gurkha Museum shop for sale. This has been widely reproduced including by the museum shop although theirs are marked 'copy' on the rear. The cloth patches are also widely reproduced in various colours. Shoulder title worn by the company were blackened metal and was simply the word 'GURKHA'.
Also a couple have appeared recently being the 'Band' crossed kukris with the chute cut out of a ordinary para cap badge and braised in.

Steve
Old 02-12-19, 03:15 PM

Thank you, Steve . That is very helpful. I have seen various types of these over the years but avoided them. This one is made in a similar way to the modern Gurkha Rifles badge, struck metal and chrome plated but with lugs similar to the ones on anodised collar badges. I will keep it as a curiosity, thankfully it was just three pounds on a bric-a-brac stall!
Old 03-12-19, 09:42 AM

Further to Steve's answer the badges were "approved but never worn" - so I feel comfortable having one in my collection - however its almost impossible to tell whether they were from the "original" batch or a later reproduction. Tim
Old 03-12-19, 09:18 PM

Hi, Were the original batch anodised aluminium please?

Many thanks,

Graham
Old 04-12-19, 10:42 AM

Chrome I think.
Old 04-12-19, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Chrome I think.
Any idea where the anodised pattern fit in then please?
Old 05-12-19, 03:14 PM

For reference, anodised version showing moulding sprue marks to reverse and re-manufactured Gurkha Museum plated brass version (stamped 'COPY') attached. Note slightly different pattern of examples. I recall Mike Jackson mentioning that the original examples were manufactured by the Perfect Company of Hong Kong in an earlier post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaP4160152.jpg (47.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg aaP4160154.jpg (35.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg aaP4160136.jpg (34.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg aaP4160137.jpg (24.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-12-19, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontecagnano View Post
Any idea where the anodised pattern fit in then please?
Hi Graham,they've never been made in anodised aluminium. They're all chromed metal. Some of the early ones are very light but not aluminium.
Old 07-12-19, 06:58 PM

As far as I am aware Mike is correct. In discussions I have had with a past officer of the unit, 'Due to the design having a very weak point (the rigging lines of the chute) 'Staybright' was believed to be too weak so a metal was opted for.
Steve
Old 07-12-19, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Hi Graham,they've never been made in anodised aluminium. They're all chromed metal. Some of the early ones are very light but not aluminium.
Thanks Mike, the examples I have are definitely lighter than the usual copies and moulded rather than struck. It's possible they're thinner. Need to dig them out of the shoebox and check now!

Thanks also Steve.

Graham